For Fitness Fanatics, Old-Style Gyms Don’t Cut It Anymore

Options
For Fitness Fanatics, Old-Style Gyms Don’t Cut It Anymore

Weights. Treadmills. Spin classes. Let’s face it, workout innovations just haven’t kept pace with advances in TV, iPad, and snack-food technology. (Did you know there are onion-ring-and-ketchup-flavored Doritos now?) That said, a few forward-looking gyms offer activities that might actually compete with our Twitter/Netflix/PizzaRanch fixations. Activities like bouncing up to 10 feet in the air while playing dodgeball. Crunch Fitnesses of the world, take note.

House of Air, San Francisco
The professional-size trampolines in this former airplane hangar are set so you can triple-flip from one to the next—a far cry from that round thing you hopped on as a kid. The gym is also home to a bouncy form of dodgeball, whose “field” is 45 x 45 feet. Tired of ducking and weaving? Strap on a foam snowboard or wakeboard and bone up on your extreme sport air-time skills.

Tempest Freerunning Academy, Los Angeles
We know, we know—like adults on kick scooters, the idea of adults jumping and flipping over obstacles sparks a desire to ridicule. But after you watch the Tempest Freerunning team in action—leaping and flipping agilely from ledge to wall—the impulse to point and chortle will quickly morph into a strong desire to be more like Spider-Man.

Ray’s Indoor Mountain Bike Park, Cleveland and Milwaukee
These are the country’s only indoor parks built specifically for mountain bikes. There are separate areas for beginners and experts, with wood ramps and assorted obstacles (like rocks and logs, for example) connected by looping trails. The buildings are closed during the summer months, when Ray’s can’t compete with Mother Nature’s gym.

The Green Micro Gym, Portland, Oregon
As they sweat, exercisers are converting calories into watts at this gym. Their energy is captured and fed back into the facility, which boasts a 60 percent reduction in carbon emissions over a regular gym. The goal is to hit 100 percent soon. OK, yes, you’re still doing the same old boring activities, but because you’re helping the lights stay on, they feel ever-so-slightly less pointless.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/06/st_weirdgyms/

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Wow oinon ring ketchup doritios!!!!! amazing!
  • supersarah14
    supersarah14 Posts: 170
    Options
    Seriously?!?

I would join Tempest Freerunning Academy in a heartbeat!!!! Freerunning is pretty much the coolest thing ever. To bad I live in Maryland.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I think CrossFit should be on there!?
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    TRAMPOLINE DODGEBALL?!?!?!?!?!?! I think I just peed my pants a little from the excitement
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why more gyms don't harness the electricity produced by cardio equipment. 60% - that's huge!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    TRAMPOLINE DODGEBALL?!?!?!?!?!?! I think I just peed my pants a little from the excitement

hahahaha - love it :)
  • supersarah14
    supersarah14 Posts: 170
    Options
    Scratch that!!! I found a parkour gym in DC! Thats a-freakin-mazing. It's at a place called Primal Gym.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Scratch that!!! I found a parkour gym in DC! Thats a-freakin-mazing. It's at a place called Primal Gym.
    They're opening a tampoline gym in Sterling.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I think I might rent a bouncy house for my own backyard "gym" fun!

Who doesn't like to jump and bounce and act like a kid again??

Just don't remind me of this when I ache all over for days at a time!
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

Just make sure the wind doesn't catch it and blow it over the freeway with you inside it. True story, happened recently
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options

Just make sure the wind doesn't catch it and blow it over the freeway with you inside it. True story, happened recently

Wow! Good to know - I'll make sure it's anchored well.

Though I am now hearing the "evil" Wicked Witch of the West music in my head :happy:
  • Crash789
    Crash789 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered - as my mind meanders during spin class - if it would be realistic to harness the energy from people on spin bikes, etc. Kind of like a human hamster ball! Good to know that I'm not totally crazy in thinking that it could work! Maybe they could take the amount of energy that I create and reduce the value of it from my gym membership!!!!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    You had me at onion-ring-and-ketchup-flavored Doritos. :laugh:

I think I see a Dodgeball movie sequel coming. :noway::smokin:
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I LOVE trampoline places! If you live in Colorado, check out JumpStreet - they have several locations. Absolutely amazing, and a great workout just jumping around for fun. We didn't get to play dodgeball, but just jumping on the regular ones was good enough for me and my friends. =) There are a lot of kids though... so plan to go mid-week in the evening for the best experience. Unless you have a kid, of course!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    NotAllWhoWanderAreLost Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    related to the green concept: I've always wanted to hook up my tv so that you'd need to pedal or walk to run it --- ok, probably wouldn't fully power it, but for the tv to operate you'd need to be exercising (or paying someone to do it for you! LOL!)
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The gym in Portland also motivates you to burn with the Burn and Earn program - "one hour on any of our grid-tied cardiovascular equipment earns you one dollar in rewards. Gift certificate can be redeemed in five and ten dollar increments. Ten hours can also earn you specialty discounts." The GC are to local ma & pa shops and restuarants - even further supporting a good cause.

Cool post - I really enjoy not having a gym membership...I feel less limited and I get out and enjoy nature more. That being said - I'll get one again when the weather gets crummy!

...I love my city :)