Great article about diet pop !

Options
http://www.healthzone.ca/health/newsfeatures/article/1016552--want-to-lose-weight-skip-the-diet-pop-new-study-suggests?bn=1

If you’re trying to lose weight, switching to diet pop might actually cause the opposite of the desired effect, new research suggests.

In a massive study spanning nearly 10 years and involving almost 500 participants, epidemiologists at the University of Texas’s School of Medicine in San Antonio found that drinking diet soda was associated with an increased waist circumference.

In fact, over the course of the study’s time span, people who consumed diet soft drinks experienced a 70 per cent increase in waist circumference compared to those who did not.

Moreover, those study participants who said they drank two or more cans of diet soda every day saw their waist circumferences increase as much as 500 per cent compared to those who avoided the sweet drinks.

The researchers point out that their findings don’t conclusively point to a definitive cause-and-effect relationship between drinking diet pop and weight gain — merely that those who drink diet sodas tend to see increased waist circumference over time.

“I’m pretty convinced that there’s enough evidence to suggest that using an alternative is wise,” said Helen Hazuda, professor and chief of clinical epidemiology in the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio School of Medicine.

Hazuda and her team began their research by assessing data from 474 Mexican Americans and European Americans in the San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging. They measured height, weight, waist circumference, and diet-soda intake. They then conducted three follow-up exams over the last decade. Even when adjustments are made for diabetes status, sex, ethnicity, years of education, physical-activity level, neighborhood-income level, age and smoking status, the results still stand.

“That gives us more confidence that maybe there’s something more causal going on,” Hazuda told the Star. “It is consistent with what some other large population-based studies have found.”

She did point to a number of factors that could have contributed to the weight gain, however. One is that some artificial sweeteners commonly found in diet soda are sweeter than sugar.

“Because they’re so sweet – as much as 180 times sweeter than sugar – they actually lead you to the point of craving even sweeter things, and these might be things that aren’t good for you,” she noted.

Hazuda also surmised that people may believe they can eat more because they are taking in fewer calories by drinking diet soda.

“They overcompensate, not realizing that they weren’t accomplishing much savings by drinking the diet-soda waters,” she said.

Regardless of what caused the weight gain, Hazuda says if you want to lose weight, just avoid diet sodas altogether.

“Given the evidence we have right now, the healthiest choice would be not to drink the diet soda,” she said. “If you can drink water instead, that might be a very good alternative.”

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I find a lot of people misinterpret these articles. This article is talking about people who have diet pop every single day, maybe even more than once a day. The artificial sweeteners just mess up your body & trick your body into gaining weight. However, if you are on a major calorie watch & you are REALLY wanting a pop, or maybe you're out @ the bar & don't want to do too much caloric damage, a diet pop or two won't hurt you. Just make sure it's OCCASIONAL!
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    so… a study was done that measured waist circumferences of people drinking diet soda, who weren't on diets, in a country with a continuously growing obesity rate… and their waist circumferences increased…

am i the ONLY one that sees something wrong with this?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    "Hazuda also surmised that people may believe they can eat more because they are taking in fewer calories by drinking diet soda."

I think this is more likely the trouble with 'diet' anything.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious to see the relationship between waistline and total calories consumed...the simplest explanation is that comment about people drinking diet soda choosing to eat more without realizing it. What is it Gabriel Iglesias said? "I drink diet soda so I can eat regular cake!" (For the record, I love Gabriel.)

The problem with these types of media articles is that they take a single study (which by itself is NEVER definitive in science without ample replication) and draw a false conclusion (in this case diet soda itself causes growth in waist lines). Drinking diet soda does not cause waist lines to grow; excess consumption of it, however, may be linked to other behaviors that do cause waist lines to grow. Be careful about how much you read into media articles on scientific topics...they are very rarely reliable in their interpretation of the data.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas do other harmful things to your body too. They cause migraine headaches, osteoperosis, raise your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and weight gain.. these are just a few... Diet soda's are almost as bad as regular sodas
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    You just opened THAT can of worms[pop].......Everyone duck...........

personally I avoid them, but that's because I KNOW for a fact they trigger migraines for me. And one of the men who was on the engineering team who developed aspartame would not ALLOW his family to consume it- yeah, that was enough for me.
  • eillamarie
    Options
    "Hazuda also surmised that people may believe they can eat more because they are taking in fewer calories by drinking diet soda."

Ya it is! There have been studies done that show people who eat more "low fat" & "fat free" etc foods actually gain weight over the years because they generally eat twice as much!
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Yup.

Brb, going to get 2 big macs, 1 large fries, 1 20 pc nuggets and a diet coke.
  • MB1967
    MB1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think this is a conspiracy started by Evian to topple Coca Cola and Pepsi.......
  • nibblerbigcat
    Options
    In my opinion, I think people who drink diet soda just live unhealthier lives than people who drink water. Diet soda has 0 calories, so if you're only drinking that everyday and following a healthy diet, you're not going to gain weight. It's impossible. However, the fake sugar can make you crave sweeter things, and therefore eat more. Consequently the weight gain is from DIET, not from DIET SODA.

This study should have been controlled for lifestyle and diet, not just seeing if people who drank diet soda gained weight. Because if it was, I'd bet a lot of money that people who excercise, eat right, and generally live healthy lifes don't drink diet soda. And that those who don't excercise, eat unhealthy, and generally live unhealthy lives do drink diet soda.

Plus, like the article pointed out, people who drink diet soda tend to think they can eat more because it's 0 calories, and then they overcompensate.
  • eillamarie
    Options
    Diet sodas do other harmful things to your body too. They cause migraine headaches, osteoperosis, raise your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and weight gain.. these are just a few... Diet soda's are almost as bad as regular sodas

I read an article a couple years ago about a woman who drank several diet pops every day for years. Out of nowhere she started declining & the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong. She appeared to have MS, but tests all came back negative. She got a phone call from her sister to stop drinking diet pop, she did immediately.....and she COMPLETELY RECOVERED! She had aspartame overdose!!!
  • nibblerbigcat
    Options
    I'd be curious to see the relationship between waistline and total calories consumed...the simplest explanation is that comment about people drinking diet soda choosing to eat more without realizing it. What is it Gabriel Iglesias said? "I drink diet soda so I can eat regular cake!" (For the record, I love Gabriel.)

The problem with these types of media articles is that they take a single study (which by itself is NEVER definitive in science without ample replication) and draw a false conclusion (in this case diet soda itself causes growth in waist lines). Drinking diet soda does not cause waist lines to grow; excess consumption of it, however, may be linked to other behaviors that do cause waist lines to grow. Be careful about how much you read into media articles on scientific topics...they are very rarely reliable in their interpretation of the data.

Took the (better phrased) words right out of my mouth.
  • nibblerbigcat
    Options
    You just opened THAT can of worms[pop].......Everyone duck...........

personally I avoid them, but that's because I KNOW for a fact they trigger migraines for me. And one of the men who was on the engineering team who developed aspartame would not ALLOW his family to consume it- yeah, that was enough for me.

How did you get that information? Did you research aspartame?
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    so… a study was done that measured waist circumferences of people drinking diet soda, who weren't on diets, in a country with a continuously growing obesity rate… and their waist circumferences increased…

Exactly--poorly done study that is putting forth an unsupported conclusion. Here's the deal--people who are drinking diet sodas often recognize that they are heavy and so make the switch to diet without switching around anything ELSE in their life. And so they gain, even though they're drinking diet sodas. It's not the diet soda causing the gain, it's the rest of the food intake. You know you've seen it--a diet coke, a triple whopper, a large fry, and an order of jalapeno poppers. That waist is going to expand whether that soda is diet or not.

Like everyone else I know, I lose on diet sodas, and I gain on diet sodas. Depends upon what else I'm consuming and how much I'm moving.

Kris
  • Syntax_Error
    Syntax_Error Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hazuda also surmised that people may believe they can eat more because they are taking in fewer calories by drinking diet soda.

^That's the likely culprit, not the pop itself. People lack self control and think they can offset bad eating habits by drinking diet pop. I'd like to see a "study" where they control the caloric intakes and food type intakes of a group that does/doesn't consume diet pop at the same time. Every study I've seen so far has been complete agenda bs.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Here we go again...
  • skibrina
    skibrina Posts: 36
    Options
    ASPARTAME IS NOT SAFE. If you look up the dangers of it, i don't think you would drink it. I wouldn't drink diet anything. I understdand some people perfer diet drinks, which is up to the indivual. Me personally, no, will not drink it. I actually gave up all soda products over 12 years ago. I don't miss it and I don't crave it. I got my husband off soda as well. here is a link to the info on dangers of aspartame.

I am not here to judeg anyone or tell them you can have this and can't have that. just wanted to share some side affects of the harmful stuff.

performed testing to determine if Aspartame is possibly linked to side-effects and physical symptoms such as sudden memory loss, dizziness and gradual loss of vision - which can potentially lead to disorders such as multiple sclerosis, chronic fatigue, rheumatoid arthritis, depression, mood swings and malignant brain tumors

Read more: http://www.righthealth.com/topic/Aspartame_Dangers/overview/uc_kosmixarticles#ixzz1Qg8TxQX2
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options

Hear Hear! :-)
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Here we go again...

You will be assimilated....resistance is Futile! Join the Dark Side! It is your DEStiny......Mouahahahahahaha!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a sandwich shop, and always laughed when people would come in, order a foot-long double-meat turkey, bacon, salami, ham and cheese (our best-selling sandwich), with extra mayonnaise/mustard, a bag of chips, and then a diet Coke. The sandwich alone was over 800 calories, and the chips were about 200. Getting a diet soda might have save them another 200 calories, but seriously, 1000 calories with food alone isn't going to be offset with that diet Coke. Might as well get a regular Coke and make a day of it.