Fitbit questions

Options
Hi
I recently got a fitbit and when I'm burning calories it's starting to show as a negative so it reduces my overall calorie intake. I thought like with other exercises it should show how much extra I'm aloud to eat. I'm worried that I'll end up eating too less and my body will go into starvation mode. Can someone please explain it to me?

Replies

• aaronjonn84
    aaronjonn84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You want to be in a calorie deficit every day...obviously you need to be eating the right amount bit unless it's a crazy amount I wouldn't be too bothered about it....I lose between 500 to over 1100 cals a day
  • aaronjonn84
    aaronjonn84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your journey
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    First, don't worry about starvation mode. It doesn't work that way.

Second, what you're seeing is the negative calorie adjustment. When you sync your Fitbit, MFP reads your calories burned for the day up to that point and then estimates what your total burn for the day will be. If it thinks you're going to burn more than your maintenance calories on here, you get a positive adjustment. If it thinks you're going to burn less calories, you get a negative adjustment to compensate for what would have been eating over your goal, as you wouldn't be burning as much. This is most common in the morning when you wake up, and depending on your activity level selected it will take a few thousand steps to get the adjustment into positive territory.