What to set your goal weight

Options
tera43
tera43 Posts: 6 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am not sure what my goal weight should be. I am 5ft 2inches and currently at 134 with a goal of 120. Maybe it should be more or less. I just picked what sounded nice and thin :)

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Re-evaluate as you get closer.

I started at 220lb (5'11") and set a goal of 175lb since that is both at the top of the normal BMI and my old college weight. As I got closer I re-evaluated and ended up getting as low as 168lb. Since then I've been up and down between 168 and 172 and I'm happy there (essentially 170lb or 5lb under my original goal). I will probably do a quick cut right before a beach vacation and then have another goal of 185lb over the winter.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" but I find that I am always reassessing. It also depends on whether you strength train or not. I think 120 is reasonable, but the scale is just a tool, look at measurements and body composition too. Good luck!
  • tera43
    tera43 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for mentioning BMI. 120 puts me in the lower part of normal so good and not too low.

As far as exercise so far I am really only doing yoga and walking. Not sure what I will add there.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yoga and walking are great! I am a huge fan of strength training, but it depends on what you are going for. Strength training will not make you bulky, but will help you hold on to the muscle you have while you are eating at a deficit to lose weight. This would make more of your weight loss fat (a lower percentage of muscle loss).

Keep in mind that BMI is the height/weight function that gives a general approximation of someone's adiposity, but there is a lot of misclassification in the 'overweight' category of BMI because of people that have more muscle.

anyhow, like I said, 120 seems reasonable, just keep your mind open to a different number depending on how you look as you go.

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and my goal is 124 (I'm at 130 now) but who knows! It's just about how you feel when you get there. I also think it's important to get to a weight you can maintain long term.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"10 172. I thought I would have been satisfied with that. But now I want at least 10 more then reevaluate