Recovering Vegetarian Can't Cook Chicken!?!?

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
Hi, everyone! (I grew up vegetarian and am new to the whole meat-cooking thing.)

Can someone tell me how to cook a 10 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, whole, in a non-stick pan?

I tried (started on med-low, cranked to high at the end...probably not a good move) but ended up having to dice it mid-cook anyway because the outside was burning and the inside was raw!

EDITED TO ADD: The chicken was never frozen.

I have plenty of recipes and ideas, it's just the technical steps on cooking the actual breast I don't have any idea on. My whole family is vegetarian and none of my friends can cook so I don't know who to ask. :laugh:

Is it low heat? Medium heat? High heat?
Covered? Uncovered?
How long on each side per ounce?

Google failed me. Am I doomed to a life of diced chicken? By the way, the recipe I used came from a chef friend so ingredients shouldn't be the problem. I don't cook with any oil and the chicken wasn't sticking. HELP! I normally slow-cook chicken in my Crock Pot but there's not always time. And the sear on the outside is nice for texture and flavor. :)

Any help is appreciated! :drinker:

Replies

• LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    butterfly the breast Makay ! slice it down the length but not all the way and flatten it out.... it will look like a love heart or a butter fly, then sear it on a high heat about 6 min on both sides. or you can try to steam it
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    butterfly the breast Makay ! slice it down the length but not all the way and flatten it out.... it will look like a love heart or a butter fly, then sear it on a high heat about 6 min on both sides. or you can try to steam it

I'm thinking I'm going to have to. The feel of raw chicken gives me the heebie-jeebies, which is why I was hoping to cook it whole. But, I only have access to an electric stovetop (no oven) so, it sounds like, without baking it, I may not be able to cook such a fat piece, after all.

Do you think cooking it on a medium heat, covered, would change that?
  • StrawberrySprinkles
    Options
    I would start out by heating your pan on medium for a few minutes until it feels warm enough. Perhaps a little squirt of olive oil will help for a little more flavor as cooking without it can make the meat a little rubbery. Cook your chicken about 5 - 6 mins per side, if it's quite thick. If it's thin, try less. You don't want to exceed a medium heat otherwise, you'll toast it and suffer from BBQ syndrome where it's cooked/burnt on the outside and raw in the middle.

When the meat feels a bit firm and you suspect it's done, poke it with a fork and see what juices look like. If they are all clear, you're good to go. There is also no harm in cutting a small incision in the middle of the breast to see if it's fully cooked. If you find it's still a little pink, cook for a couple of mins more on each side.

I know everyone has their preference on how they like their meat. However, I don't like mine too overly done because it'll kill the flavor of the meat pretty quickly.

P/S: A good digital meat thermometer is always a plus too! As the main goal in cooking meat like chicken and pork is to bring the temperature up high enough to kill any bacteria that maybe in the meat.
  • Tria60
    Tria60 Posts: 1
    Options
    Just curious about why you aren't going to be vegetarian anymore? I would die (at this point) if I had to eat meat:( Good luck to ya!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Do you have a George Foreman grill? You could just season the chicken and slap it on the grill. That's about the easiest way I can think of to cook it.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Thx @Lee and @Strawberry! :heart: I will try those approaches on tomorrow's chicken. :)

@Tria: I managed to gain 100 lbs. over the course of the last 8 years on a vegetarian diet. I have never been around people who know how to cook and I was never exposed to chicken I liked outside of home. It was usually smothered in some sickly-sweet gooey sauce and had the skin on. Bleh! I, personally, like the flavor of chicken a lot. I even eat beef and fish occasionally.

I find chicken to be my ideal protein source. It just works for me.

But I still looooove vegetarian food, too. So much amazing stuff out there. :)

P.S.: Nothing like an amazing Tofurkey on Thanksgiving cooked in white wine, butter and caramelized shallots. ::mouth waters::
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    @Lyadeia: No George Foreman yet. I'm moving in September and the new place will have a full stove + oven so that should help a bit. :) Thx for the idea!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You can also cover it with some plastic wrap and pound the *kitten* out of it with the back of a frying pan... this will make it thinner and will help it cook more evenly as most chicken breasts are ginormous thanks to all of the junk that has been put in the feed over the years (Food, Inc.)... I'm a meat eater too... lol
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    You can also cover it with some plastic wrap and pound the *kitten* out of it with the back of a frying pan... this will make it thinner and will help it cook more evenly as most chicken breasts are ginormous thanks to all of the junk that has been put in the feed over the years (Food, Inc.)... I'm a meat eater too... lol

Very true. Just basically nearly-carpaccio that sucker into oblivion. :laugh: Thx! :drinker:
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    A great meat thermometer might be your best bet until you get a feel for things... that way you can ensure you are cooking it fully. Also, you don't want to cut it open during cooking or immediately after cooking... the meat needs to rest or you are going to lose all of the juices which will make for some pretty gnarly dry chicken.

A meat thermometer (digital or standard) can be purchased at Walmart for under $10.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It does depend on how thick it is, but I like to cook mine *in* something when I'm doing stovetop. Like a mixture of greek yogurt, lemon juice, and curry. Or just pineapple juice. Or (much less healthy, but I have done this) watered-down barbecue sauce. Not that any of this but the chicken will go on the plate, but it makes it juicy and flavorful. I usually add enough to the pan so that the breast is halfway submerged, set it on medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes, and then flip it for another 10-12 minutes. But it really depends on the breat and I've done as little as 5 minutes per side and as much as 16.

My mom's boyfriend will completely wrap the breast in aluminum foil and place it directly on the pan, medium heat, for about 20-25 minutes. (This is what my mom says; I don't like this boyfriend so I don't really go to her house when he's there and have not actually seen this done, though I have tasted the leftovers.) It makes it surprisingly tender and juicy.

Good luck!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    If you have a lidded pan that will cut the cooking time considerably and then just cook as you did but no high heat or make a foil parcel and bake in its own juices...tender moist chicken breast. I add garlic and chives into the foil parcel of chicken...delicious!
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    PS - OP, I love your signature text. Seriously! Search functions exist! Discover why!!
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I boil my chicken. Put it in a pan of water (as a whole breast), boil it, leave it boiling for 10 mins, turn it off, and leave in the pan for 10 mins (will still cook with the heat)

The water will go white and foamy, but its really moist and yummy, plus you can walk away from it, for 20 mins, only turn the heat off 10 mins after it has boiled.
  • Life0nMars86
    Life0nMars86 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I need to bump this cuz I'm just an idiot that never learned to cook, I usually cook my chicken in olive oil or something but it'd be nice to learn some more ways.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Really great tips, all. Thx!

I can't believe I didn't think of cooking it en papillote on the stovetop. Great!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Options
    I recommend a good cast iron pan. You'll have to "season" it to get it to be non stick, but a good cast iron pan is great to have in any kitchen.

Preheat the pan on med, med-high until you can only hold your hand over it for 3 seconds and say "ow that's hot"

Drop the temp down to med, med-low. The thicker the meat, the lower the heat.

You can watch as it cooks till the bottom half is about done, then flip it over and do the other half. A minute or two more the center will be done. You don't have to constantly flip it, you're cooking, not playing with your meat.

If you are short on time, or its particularly thick, you can butterfly it. I sometimes do this as it's cooking, slice right through the sides and make it two halfs that look like angel wings. This will cut your cooking time in half.
  • DamnStraight
    Options
    My stupid response:

Get a meat tenderizer and pound the living hell out of it til its nice and thin!
  • Life0nMars86
    Options

Yesssss!!!! I love finding new ways to release my anger/stress bahahaha :devil:
  • Life0nMars86
    Options
    My stupid response:

Get a meat tenderizer and pound the living hell out of it til its nice and thin!

Yessss to you too!!!! Sorry chicken breasts...you will now become my victims of abuse