breathing and running

Options
When i run, i breathing to fast, so then i get a side ache. Any ideas what to do?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Slow down!

Seriously, slow your pace. You can also concentrate on your breathing--in for two steps and out for two steps.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    www.chirunning.com just had an article on this, it may be worth the reading. I would agree with the slow down too, or practice a run/walk pattern until you can build up to breathing better. Another idea, hold your abs tight, it will force you to breath more efficiently.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yup, you're just going too fast and getting out of breath. Slow down and as you get better you will breathe slower. Make sure to breathe through both your nose and mouth for maximum air.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Ditto the other poster. And definitely warm up before you break into a run. I like to walk briskly (4mph) for a few mintues before I start jogging, then I start to run. I used to get a "stitch" in my side a lot when I first started up. It's all about getting your body in shape to be able to do so w/o the stitch. It take a bit of time (ime).
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me all the time.
    I started to really pay attention to breathing, counting SLOWLY to three in and three out. (Count longer if you can) It makes the run better and the side stitch is gone.
    If I start to feel the side go again, I refocus on the breathing (because sometimes I loose track). It took a bit to get used to, but for such an easy fix it was so worth it!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My track coach always told us to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth to get rid of side stiches! Good luck with your running!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Count. I know it sounds silly but I used to count rhythmically in my head and breath to the counts. It helped me control my breathing and run longer.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Practice running for one minute, then walking for 3 minutes. As you feel more comfortable, increase the running time and decrease the walking time.

Building endurance means giving your cardiovascular system a chance to adapt to what you're asking it to do (move oxygen and nutrients efficiently to, and wastes from, your muscles).
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I also do the breathing rythmically. I have a problem taking a single long deep breath because I feel it messes up my running rythm so I take 4 short inhalations with 4 short exhalations. So it pretty much looks like this in-in-in-in---out-out-out-out. Another tip that i realized while watching my wife run a couple years ago when she was struggling with side stitches was that she was running kind of a shoulders rolled forward position when she should have been running with shoulders back to increase the volume your lungs can hold. Good luck.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I also do the breathing rythmically. I have a problem taking a single long deep breath because I feel it messes up my running rythm so I take 4 short inhalations with 4 short exhalations. So it pretty much looks like this in-in-in-in---out-out-out-out. Another tip that i realized while watching my wife run a couple years ago when she was struggling with side stitches was that she was running kind of a shoulders rolled forward position when she should have been running with shoulders back to increase the volume your lungs can hold. Good luck.
    I do the same thing. Multiple breaths at a time. Helps tons.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    If you can't recite the Pledge of Allegiance while running, you're going too fast, and need to slow down. Aerobic threshold can be increased with time through regular endurance runs, but unless you're doing sprints, hills, or fartlek training, you should be able to carry on a conversation during your run without an issue.

The side stitch might also have to do with dehydration, as well as breathing. I notice when I don't take enough water the few hours before a run, I can end up with terrible stitches that are a beast to run through (my last ten mile long run, I had to run with an awful one for at least two miles).
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    With all these posts I'm not sure my opinion will mean so much. Nonetheless, a couple things, if you eat a lot of fiber, say a salad before running, it gives you side stitches. Be aware of what you eat before a run. Especially within a 4 hour window of before a run. I do like to have something in my stomach before a run, about an hour before a run I'll eat a peice of fruit like a banana (not a high fiber fruit though) or have a slice of toast. But really I try to run on a well digested stomach. Also, when you get a side stich, take a few deep clarifying breaths. I try and make it a point to take a few super deep breaths and really fill my diaphram every mile. And I'll take like 2 or 3 of them. If I find that I'm panting or breathing too hard, I'll do the same thing and sometimes it recalibrates me...if that makes sense. Anyway, I hope this helps you. Gael