Replies

• mertheg01
    mertheg01 Posts: 19
    Options
    The Road!!
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Treadmill because I watch tv while I walk and it helps pass the time.
  • cvalastro
    cvalastro Posts: 7
    Options
    I use to work with people who were members of a 1000-mile running club. They always said to choose one type of surface and stick with it - road, track, treadmill. That was best for your feet and joints. Don't remember why, just remember them saying that.
  • fittraier
    fittraier Posts: 138
    Options
    do what you like, but agree with everyone on joints and ankles being harder outside.

I do both treadmill and outside. I am AMAZED at how many said they have to do 3.0 incline to get a workout. Wow there are so many ways to get a workout on a tread mill, and not have to be at 3.0 incline. and I would also say it depends on your treadmill if you want to be at 3.0.

I like a treadmill because I know my pace the whole time. It varies out side. and I can do interval work on a treadmill better than outside. I can also add inclines.

Outside it nice for scenery, variety, and it is different than a treadmill. I live in cold area, in the winter, I choose only treadmill, and when I go outside for the first time in spring, I am sore in core, and legs but my pace is awesome because I workedon it all winter.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    It's summer, so I vote to enjoy the outdoors (but that may just be my Pacific Northwest bias, because we only have two good weather months a year). I hate treadmills. I have read that you need to set the incline at 1-3% to equal the effect of running outside (because of wind resistance and the additional energy required to propel yourself forward rather than just picking up and setting down your feet, as others have said). But mostly, I just enjoy the convenience of slipping on my shoes and out my door--I can do a 45-min run in 48 minutes (quick stretch, 1 min walk to lower HR), rather than the 1:45 it would take to drive to my gym, find a place to park, lock up my crap, walk upstairs, program it, and start running, then reverse.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I have room for both in my life!

Road is there for all my long runs, as I'd die of boredom on the treadmill. I love watching the changing seasons, and varying my route to actually run to a destination and back rather than just round the block keeps me entertained. The treadmill is there for bad weather, to get an idea of the speed I can do consistently and for speed and hill intervals.

Remember, outdoors isn't just road - varying surfaces to include trails and grass will protect your joints and strengthen your muscles.

My only proviso is if you want to train for an outdoor running event, training on a treadmill will not full prepare you. Do at least your long runs outside.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program last week and am using the trail around my neighborhood. I feel I get a much better workout running outside than on the treadmill. As someone else suggested, I actually have to push myself forward when running outside, whereas the treadmill I just run on a moving surface. Although, I will say my ankles were a little sore during my Insanity workout yesterday and I didn't even think about it being from running on Monday.
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i prefer running outdoors...im able to pace myself much better and i dont get bored
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Running outside will always be harder than running on a treadmill. Pavement is harder on the joints, as are uneven terrain & not having the treadmill belt to help pull your feet back. That being said, there is nothing wrong with being a treadmill runner. I can barely run for 60 seconds outside, but I can run for several minutes on the treadmill!! So why not?

Nope. Not for everyone. This is why I dislike carte blanche advice. For me, a treadmill feels harder.

I am used to running outside.

When I run on a treadmill, it feels harder to sustain. People always insist that a treadmill is easier, but a treadmill has what running outside doesn't necessarily have, exact, even pace, constantly. Most people wax and wane to a certain degree with your pace. Even if your mile splits are the same, you might not run the same throughout the mile. There might be a pattern. And I know for me, there is. I have awesomely even splits, until I don't want to. The same pace, always feels harder to me on a treadmill than the road.

Running on a treadmill keeps me chronically, unabashedly, unforgivably even...
  • allymax
    allymax Posts: 2
    Options
    I recently saw my sports medicine Dr. because of my IT band injury and she suggested the best way to avoid injury is to stay away from the treadmill due to the repetition and working the same muscles all the time which means they are more prone to injury. She said to go outside and change up my run every time I go as this will cause muscle confusion and your muscles won't get too used to the same movement. If you are training for a race then go outside because it is a hell of a lot different (harder) than running indoors. Also, since my injury I have been instructed by my Dr. to run '10 and 1's" which means run for 10 minutes walk for one, then repeat. This is another great way to avoid injury and it also burns more calories as you are increasing and decreasing your heart rate all the time.
  • MB1967
    MB1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone`s thoughts I really appreciate it.

I think I`ll start on the treadmill to avoid the "limping home" embarrasment and maybe switch to the road as I get stronger (weather dependant)..

Have a great day all.
  • UDTsunamiSurfer
    UDTsunamiSurfer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If y'all c me runnin u better kick it n Hi Gear & fall n coz sumtin BAD is comin up behind me!!! Lol... Just sayin! XoXo Ursula
  • jenkins1103
    jenkins1103 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i prefer to run on the treadmill...I do my long runs outside, because the treadmill gets boring...If you are just starting out you might want to try the treadmill first because typically when you are running on the treadmill you can't give up and walk..
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Both :)
    I have no choice but to use a treadmill during the week, but I get some road time in on weekends. I also try to switch it up and get some trail time in too. Different types of surfaces do different things to your body.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    The treadmill is a last resort. It's great for late night exercising and the cold months when we don't have much daylight (I don't mind running in the cold, it's just not safe for me to run when it's dark).

The road is awesome. The treadmill does a little of the work for you. The road is unforgiving. It's also different every time - so many possible routes and hills! Gotta love hills! Plus you get your vitamin D...

I find I push myself more when I run on the road. With the treadmill, I can hit stop whenever I want. On the road, I can't stop until I get home, no matter how tired I am. It's also fun for me to race the sun and make it home before dark. Sprints!!!!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    The road will give you a much better work out, because there's more resistance from the harder road. You have to propel yourself off the road with more force, whereas a treadmill is more forgiving, and doesn't require as much energy for propulsion. That's why most people who run on treadmills find it much harder to head on the road, which is why training that way is not recommended for marathons or races, since you're going to end up working a lot harder than you're used to on race day when you hit the pavement.

Treadmills are more forgiving on your joints, though. I am a road runner, myself, because I hate feeling like a hamster, and I hate not being able to moderate my pace without pushing buttons, but when my knees are getting a bit sore, sometimes I'll hop on a treadmill at the gym to give them a break, but more often than not, I'll just head out on dirt roads instead of pavement, and let them have a break that way. Doing that will actually be more beneficial, since all the muscles in your calves, ankles, quads, and even your core have to work harder to stabilize you on uneven surfaces.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    there's been numerous times where i've gone out for a run in the humidity and heat.. went too far.. and had to walk a little bit or stop a few times to walk.. please don't get discouraged if you stop when you run. you are just starting, nor should you be embarrassed.

i've never met anyone that makes fun of someone who is outside going for a walk or a jog and see's someone stop. come on.
    you're body is telling you something, so you listen to it. whoopdi doo if you stop running and walk for 5 minutes.
    run on the tredmill or run outside either way you are running.
    good for you.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Please don't get discouraged if you stop when you run. you are just starting, nor should you be embarrassed.

i've never met anyone that makes fun of someone who is outside going for a walk or a jog and see's someone stop. come on.
    you're body is telling you something, so you listen to it. whoopdi doo if you stop running and walk for 5 minutes.
    good for you.

Just wanted to sound off on this - she's right. You'd be amazed at the number of people you see who end up walking for a minute at marathons and half marathons. Sometimes it can be a bit much. No one cares. Sometimes your body needs a moment.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Please don't get discouraged if you stop when you run. you are just starting, nor should you be embarrassed.

good for you.

Just wanted to sound off on this - she's right. You'd be amazed at the number of people you see who end up walking for a minute at marathons and half marathons. Sometimes it can be a bit much. No one cares. Sometimes your body needs a moment.

:) THANK YOU!! lol
    I just ran my first half marathon, personally I wanted to run the whole thing for myself, and I did. That was my goal and I accomplished it. Were there people who stopped and walked, yes, stopped and stretched, yup- stopped and went pee - yup.

You do what you can and each day you challenge yourself to go a bit futher, or run more, or run faster. You have to start somewhere and you are. We all have a starting point.. but we don't have an end.. we can go as far as we push ourselves - and with the help of others, we can go even further. :)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    In the last 9 years, I've run over 16,000 miles. Exactly 5 of those miles were on the dreadmill and those miles were all rehab/injury related.

So my very biased opinion: GET OUTSIDE!