Lyrica and Weight Loss

Options
I have fibromyalgia and I have lost close to 50 pounds the last 5 years. I was prescribed lyrica yesterday as my symptoms have had a big flare up and while I am still exercising normally it is taking me a lot to get through them as well as a lot of additional time.

I am not really looking forward to starting lyrica as I have seen reviews and a lot of people report a lot of side effects including weight gain at around 1lb per week despite eating right and exercise and the fact they are starting me out at the 100mg once a day rather than the usual 25mg and working up bothers me, but the doctor knows this already.

Has any one on here actually taken lyrica an can give your view if this is as dramatic as they make it out to be? I know reading reviews on the internet can be all over the place and you get a lot of trolling (example: person wrote that lyrica made them see ghosts and talk to his deceased pets and that when he had blurred vision from the lyrica he could see the results of future sporting events).

I want the pain to get better, but I also dont want to sabotage 5 years worth of work if the weight gain is very likely to happen. Each person is different but I trust people on here more than I do random people on sites giving their reviews who may just be looking to mess around.

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I take around 225mg per day (have been for over a year) and it hasn't affect my weight loss in any way. The only way to gain weight is to eat more than your body needs to maintain (calorie surplus). Don't worry, if you weigh your solid and semi solid foods with a food scale and choose accurate database entries (and log everything), you will not gain.

Edit: That person who hallucinated may very well have exceeded the safe highest dose. Not cool...
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Has the lyrica been a positive for you? I am seeing a lot of "you'll either love it or hate it" remarks in articles.

Did you have any of the blurred vision, dizziness, drowsiness, or swelling of the hands,feet, ankles that I have read a lot about?

I am very good with logging my daily intake and my exercise. I've never gained weight from a medicine that it was listed as a side effect, but I also had never researched a medicine and seen so many people all have the same issue so it's caused a little hesitation to start taking it.

Thanks again for responding. I appreciate it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and I have lost close to 50 pounds the last 5 years. I was prescribed lyrica yesterday as my symptoms have had a big flare up and while I am still exercising normally it is taking me a lot to get through them as well as a lot of additional time.

I am not really looking forward to starting lyrica as I have seen reviews and a lot of people report a lot of side effects including weight gain at around 1lb per week despite eating right and exercise and the fact they are starting me out at the 100mg once a day rather than the usual 25mg and working up bothers me, but the doctor knows this already.

Has any one on here actually taken lyrica an can give your view if this is as dramatic as they make it out to be? I know reading reviews on the internet can be all over the place and you get a lot of trolling (example: person wrote that lyrica made them see ghosts and talk to his deceased pets and that when he had blurred vision from the lyrica he could see the results of future sporting events).

I want the pain to get better, but I also dont want to sabotage 5 years worth of work if the weight gain is very likely to happen. Each person is different but I trust people on here more than I do random people on sites giving their reviews who may just be looking to mess around.
    Maybe modify the intensity / amount of exercise.
    Consider a type of exercise that can co-exist with the issues.
    Also ask doctor for a med less likely to cause weight gain than lyrica.

• chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My buddy takes Lyrica for nerve pain and doesn't even track her food and it hasn't, that I've noticed anyhow, made her gain any weight, and looking at pics of her from 2 years ago there doesn't seem to be a difference. It worked really well for her pain wise though!
  • Nysportsred
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My buddy takes Lyrica for nerve pain and doesn't even track her food and it hasn't, that I've noticed anyhow, made her gain any weight, and looking at pics of her from 2 years ago there doesn't seem to be a difference. It worked really well for her pain wise though!

thank you. I needed that.
  • cerise_noir
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Has the lyrica been a positive for you? I am seeing a lot of "you'll either love it or hate it" remarks in articles.

Did you have any of the blurred vision, dizziness, drowsiness, or swelling of the hands,feet, ankles that I have read a lot about?

I am very good with logging my daily intake and my exercise. I've never gained weight from a medicine that it was listed as a side effect, but I also had never researched a medicine and seen so many people all have the same issue so it's caused a little hesitation to start taking it.

Thanks again for responding. I appreciate it.
    Lyrica has been a life changer for me. After about a week, it stopped making me drowsy and I am able to get on with my day which is great. I spread my dose through the the day, and sometimes I take less than my maximum dose. Lyrica also helps with my chronic anxiety which is a huge plus! I actually love Lyrica but take the generic version. I don't binge eat with Lyrica. My advice is to start slow. See if your doctor has sample packs so you can try before you dive in. My experience with Lyrica has only been positive with a few minor hiccups in the beginning (minor constipation, but magnesium and water sorted that without issues). Fluid retention happens, but that's mostly during TOM. No biggie.
    RodaRose wrote: »

Maybe modify the intensity / amount of exercise.
    Consider a type of exercise that can co-exist with the issues.
    Also ask doctor for a med less likely to cause weight gain than lyrica.
    Medications don't really cause weight gain, though...they can cause binging which increases calorie intake which leads to weight gain.

• Nysportsred
    Options
    UPDATE:

I wasn't sure if anyone was interested in updates to this thread, but I figured I'd post and find out.

I started the Lyrica on Friday night, May 13. I started with 100mg every night before bed. The only side effects I received were the blurred vision and the dizziness. It wasn't constant and usually only came on when I was sitting for a while whether it was watching tv or in the car to a christening party we went to (I didn't drive). By Monday all side effects were gone.

I started 100mg at night followed by 100mg when I wake up this past Friday. I had the same side effects on Saturday, but none on Sunday.

So far I haven't noticed the lyrica working at all. The doctor did say it can take some people up to 8 weeks to feel the effects of it so I need to be patient.

I have gone from 188.8 to 189.8. I have been logging my food and the caloric intake is the same. There have been a few things to consider though before I call this an effect of the medication as so many people are quick to do:
    • went to a wedding on Saturday and ate food that I normally don't. I dont think it was high in calories, but usually when I eat something new I do gain some and then it comes off the next day. It didn't this time, but see below:
    • We met a relative for lunch yesterday at an italian place and italian ALWAYS makes my weight go up for a few days afterwards.
    • I stopped doing crunches and instead do a total of 6 minutes of planks following a workout. I am not sure if this is building new muscle, but it's possible

The weight, in MOST cases, comes back down the next day, but today it didn't. I am guessing that it's because of the italian more than anything. I did a workout last night too.

My waist has stayed the same throughout so we'll see as the weeks go on what happens with the weight.
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    Sounds like the weight is just water weight/fluid retention. And, you're not building/bulking up muscle... that takes a very very long time, especially for women, so most likely water weight. Italian food can be high in sodium. Give it some time. It can take several days for water weight to leave.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'm on 600mg Lyrica per day, and I'm managing to lose weight fine on it. I didn't put the weight on because of the Lyrica, I put the weight on because I didn't lower my calorie intake when my mobility lessened.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've just been prescribed this at 100mg to start titration up to 300mg in a couple of weeks. Talk your worries through with your Dr. I know I've seriously considered some pretty drastic things to stop the pain and so I'm willing to do ANYTHING to stop the pain. I've read reports on weight gain...however I've also been told (by a nurse) weight LOSS can be a side effect. Every drug affects each person differently. I'd be glad for you to add me though so we can share this journey. Soft and gentle hugs x
  • Nysportsred
    Options
    Sounds like the weight is just water weight/fluid retention. And, you're not building/bulking up muscle... that takes a very very long time, especially for women, so most likely water weight. Italian food can be high in sodium. Give it some time. It can take several days for water weight to leave.

I never knew it took women longer to build muscle. My wife is a mail carrier. They put muscle on their legs very quickly, but that's also 8 hours+ a day of walking.
  • cerise_noir
    Options

I never knew it took women longer to build muscle. My wife is a mail carrier. They put muscle on their legs very quickly, but that's also 8 hours+ a day of walking.
    My apologies. :smiley:
    But yeah, gaining muscle mass is quite difficult and time consuming, and one has to intake maintenance calories or above to increase muscle mass. Usually muscles will look plump due to fluid retention.
  • Nysportsred
    Options

My apologies. :smiley:
    But yeah, gaining muscle mass is quite difficult and time consuming, and one has to intake maintenance calories or above to increase muscle mass. Usually muscles will look plump due to fluid retention.

Lol no worries. 1 week on 200mg lyrica and no weight gain....or pain relief unfortunately. Starting 300mg next week. 300's where the dr wanted me to work up to.

Need epidural shots also. Have to schedule them this week too.