Alternatives to Sweetened Coffee Creamer

Options
ding30180
ding30180 Posts: 53 Member
edited May 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I need to have my coffee with cream, and I need it to be a little sweet. That combo currently comes in the form of International Delight Coffee Creamers that deliver both in a neat package. Sweeteners (Splenda etc.) generally don't do it for me, but the 140 calorie hit that I take each morning purely in the creamer seems like it could be changed to my benefit. Just to be clear, I do NOT think that sugar is evil nor I am about to give up caffeine either - just so you know!

Any thoughts? TIA.

Replies

• Bluepanda87
    Bluepanda87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I love adding vanilla almond milk to mine (I usually use Almond Breeze.) It's 80 cal for an entire cup of almond milk, and I usually only use half or a quarter of that.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I add a quarter cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and one tablespoon of flavored creamer - 57 calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    I use 1% milk and 1 Tbsp. chocolate syrup that I make myself.

Why don't you try cutting the creamer with a little skim or 1% milk? I had to gradually adjust down the sweetness over time. I have it down to 50 calories, but it took a while to get used to.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can use stevia
    almond milk
    whip cream

or get better coffee that doesn't need sweetner
  • ding30180
    Options
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I love adding vanilla almond milk to mine (I usually use Almond Breeze.) It's 80 cal for an entire cup of almond milk, and I usually only use half or a quarter of that.

Thanks to all. My wife is a big fan of Almond milk so it's in the fridge. I guess I'll give it a go firstly neat, and then cutting it with other things. Great advice.
  • lilyrito
    lilyrito Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use the full sugar International Delight like Caramel, Hazelnut or Cinnabon foe my first cup of coffee. It's only 1.5 grams of fat, 6 grams of sugar and 35 calories for 1 tbsp. Then if I have more coffee, I use 1 tbsp of the Sugar Free kind and it's only 20 calories.
  • judyweighsin
    judyweighsin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do the same as others have mentioned on here. I use unsweetened almond milk (sometimes almond/coconut) and then add a couple Tbsp. coffeemate sugar free italian sweet cream. Sweet, creamy, low cal, and sooooooooo good.
  • ding30180
    edited May 2016
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    or get better coffee that doesn't need sweetner

No matter the quality of the coffee, I need the sweetener.

• daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was unable to find a good alternative at first, so I simply stopped putting sweetener, or sweetened creamers in my coffee. I still do cream (can't live without it), but haven't had sweetener in a year. Lately I've turned to flavored coffees, because I find that gives it a little more of that 'sweet' flavor.
  • ding30180
    Options
    lilyrito wrote: »
    I use the full sugar International Delight like Caramel, Hazelnut or Cinnabon foe my first cup of coffee. It's only 1.5 grams of fat, 6 grams of sugar and 35 calories for 1 tbsp. Then if I have more coffee, I use 1 tbsp of the Sugar Free kind and it's only 20 calories.

I need 2 tbsp's per (large) cup.

• WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Silk makes (15cal per 15ml) almond milk based creamers that are Caramel and Hazelnut flavored.

k2-_cd955a5e-0552-466b-8a6a-f8b6bbd205c1.v2.jpg
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk and sugar-free Torani coffee syrups :)
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've tried using almond milk but I always get the unsweetened kind. :open_mouth: I'm kind of in the same boat as you, op. Mostly I add my cream and sugar or I suffer. I'm really digging this advice, though.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    To be fair, I've NEVER enjoyed cream in my coffee. Even at my heaviest, my family drank 1% milk, so my transition to drinking unsweetened cashew milk in my coffee was an easy one.

I buy expensive coffee because it tastes amazing with less extras needed. I also use an aeropress coffee maker, which essentially makes a non-machine-pressed espresso shot, which becomes an Americano when hot water is added to make a full cup of coffee. SO much better than drip coffee, or keurig coffee pods etc. IMO.

https://www.amazon.ca/AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso-Filters-Kitchen/dp/B001HBCVX0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464114649&sr=8-2&keywords=aeropress+coffee

1 splenda packet, and 1/3 cup unsweetened cashew milk = around 10 calories per coffee :).
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    WA_mama2 wrote: »
    Silk makes (15cal per 15ml) almond milk based creamers that are Caramel and Hazelnut flavored.

k2-_cd955a5e-0552-466b-8a6a-f8b6bbd205c1.v2.jpg

I swear Silk is a front for black magic, because their non-dairy soy and almond creamers are frigging unreal. It takes everything in me not to drink it straight.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
  • GettingFitSlim
    GettingFitSlim Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i drink my coffee with a tbsp of condensed milk. thats only 65 calories. tastes like heaven. dont miss creamer at all
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Love Torani sugar free syrups!

Have you tried Walden Farms creamers?
  • mccokat
    mccokat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This is probably weird, but I'm from a family who all drink their coffee black. We sometimes put in things like cocoa and cinnamon etc when we grind the beans. Then that flavours our coffee for us.
    I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for though.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk and sugar-free Torani coffee syrups :)

yep! They make amazing flavors like butterscotch, chocolate, vanilla, maple cinnamon, brown sugar cinnamon, pumpkin, peppermint, irish cream, hazlenut, etc...