Low fat high protein

Options
Seffell
Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
edited May 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I have a very, very hard time following that.
I have gallbladder issues and and stomach issues and I take medication for bile suppression and I was advices by a gastroenterologist to reduce my fat intake as much as possible. I found this very surprising and upsetting because I was told this last week, after eating SO much less fat 3 months into MFP tracking. I didn't expect to be told to eat even less fat.
Before I started MFP 3-4 months ago I didn't realise that my diet was like 50 to 70 % fat. It is just how I always ate and had no idea that I did. I was healthy weight all my life but it was just a very high fat diet it turns out. Also my protein, if I eat what I want instead of what I have to, goes down to 15% or less.
I've started trying to pay more attention to macros lately especially after my gastroscopy. And now I find it incredibly difficult to find high protein food with low/no fat. Most high protein foods are somehow accompanied by fat. Unfortunately I can't eat pulses either due to colitis.
Today I tried eating as much protein as possible. And still I managed to get only to 30% protein and the fat is once again over the 20% goal that I have set. Lowering it even further seems impossible to me.

Any tips?
I want to be able to eat around 120gr protein and 25gr fat a day (and not get insane from chicken breasts). This is about 35% protein and a bit under 20% fat. I have no idea how to do it. Not to mention every day. I kind of made it today - almost - but it wasn't pleasant.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you're trying to do low fat/high protein, especially when it doesn't agree with you?
  • Seffell
    edited May 2016
    Options
    May I ask why you're trying to do low fat/high protein, especially when it doesn't agree with you?

I explained in my post. In detail. Did you read it?

ETA: Is this how you clocked 15K posts?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Can you try asking your gastroenterologist for a referral to a registered dietician to help you set up some meals?

There's a fair amount of sea food that's lower in fats, like shrimp and tilapia. You can look up low fat recipes on websites like Pinterest and Yummly.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

okey dokey then. :* I was trying to be helpful, by understanding. Best of luck on your journey.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

Your post said that your doctor advised low fat. It's unclear if your doctor also recommended high protein, which I think is why the question was asked. Did your doctor recommend low fat and high protein, or did they recommend low fat and you want to combine it with a high protein plan?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Do you eat canned fish? That's a high protein/low fat source.
  • noon1200
    noon1200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Any reason why it has to be high protein? Probably easier just to focus on low fat and not worry about whether the rest are carbs or protein.

Otherwise, it's gonna be chicken breasts, protein powder, and nonfat greek yogurt for you.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by you can't eat "pulses" but fish (most seafood in fact) is low in fat but a good source of protein. You could also try dairy since they now make low fat versions of most dairy products including cottage cheese. In pork, you could try pork loin or pork loin chops with all the fat trimmed off as they are lower in fat. In beef, round stead and sirloin are some of the leaner cuts. You can often find ground sirloin which is much lower in fat than regular ground beef. Of course there is always the chicken breast, which can be tiring if it is main staple for a long time. Many types of beans have protein but I am not sure if it would agree with your colitis. Hope this helps you get a start.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by you can't eat "pulses" but fish (most seafood in fact) is low in fat but a good source of protein. You could also try dairy since they now make low fat versions of most dairy products including cottage cheese. In pork, you could try pork loin or pork loin chops with all the fat trimmed off as they are lower in fat. In beef, round stead and sirloin are some of the leaner cuts. You can often find ground sirloin which is much lower in fat than regular ground beef. Of course there is always the chicken breast, which can be tiring if it is main staple for a long time. Many types of beans have protein but I am not sure if it would agree with your colitis. Hope this helps you get a start.

"Pulses" is another term for beans.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    is it the ratio that is the issue or the grams of fat intake. you can drink protein shakes to up your protein by about 30 grams in a single drink. while it may not be the tastiest thing ever, putting it in water gives you the protein and no addition fat that putting it in say milk would. Additionally, perhaps some fish? yes there is fat but maybe not as big an issue as say beef may be?

I would think however, that you may want to determine if you need to be at a particular fat gram number as opposed to a percentage then aim for the grams which may help you feel better?

or i could just be all wrong all over :) either way, its best to weigh your food and not just rely on labels "if you are".

I don't know what your diet is like, and honestly don't know of veggies aggravate your colitis or not. did you dr not offer you a diet plan? he should have or maybe would if you asked?
  • Seffell
    Options
    The gastro didn't recommend high protein. The reason I want to eat more protein is that, like I mentioned, I seem to be eating too little - around 10% or less if I eat normally. I don't want to eat very hight protein - just around 30-35%. I guess I titled it "high" protein because 30% seems difficult and 35% unachievable for me. :)

Unfortunately I don't think I can get a referral for a dietitian. The healthcare is kind of free in the UK so even if I manage to get such a referral I'll have to wait for at least a year on some list for sure. I barely made it to the gastroenterologist after 6 months in pain and waiting.

@Tomk652015 I've determined these grams from the ratios. I looked up online that low fat diets are considered around 20% fat and for me this is around 25grams/day (I eat around 1400cals/day).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll keep looking up cooked meals. I guess it will take a bit of change of perspective and getting used to.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't make yourself miserable trying to hit 35%/120 g protein. While that amount is fine, I don't think you have to get that high, unless there is a specific reason you chose those numbers. I am eating @ 1500 cals and my best effort usually gets me up over 90g, which is right around the recommended 0.8g per lb of body weight. Some days I don't make it, but as long as I get close I figure I'm good.

When I'm looking for lean protein, I usually do a protein powder shake, chicken breast, fish, eggs, or low fat yogurt/ricotta cheese/cottage cheese. Not sure if any of those would work for you.
  • Seffell
    edited May 2016
    Options
    From some of the replies I'm starting to think I shouldn't aim for such "high" protein just yet. Maybe I'll try to aim for 30% (or even 25%) until I get used to the low fat part.
    I'm not happy I can't eat high fat. My mind is so used to thinking that high fat = tasty.
  • foiensoi
    foiensoi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Lean sources of protein are not just chicken breast, you can also try turkey (check out turkey rashers too!) and white fish (nothing wrong with oily fish too, if you're going to get some grams of fat they might as well be healthy omega3) and you can definitely get lean cuts of beef and pork. Also since you're going lower fat you can definitely add carbs in ways to your meat, like coating your chicken in breadcrumbs or oats or something. If you make sure that every meal has some protein, you'll get there. Increasing the size of portions of meat isn't a bad idea either, eg try 150g chicken instead of 120g or something.

There's good protein in wholewheat carbs like brown rice/wholewheat pasta/quinoa, so you can put them with your meat and vegetables for a super balanced meal. Check the packets of different carby things before you buy.

0% Greek yoghurt (Fage, liberte or yogood) has lots of protein too, check the packet before you buy and you can buy 170g portions or 500g packs, and add stuff to them. I use MyProtein (U.K. Based company with great offers) powder to increase my protein intake, I throw some vanilla whey or casein into my Greek yoghurt and it's YUM. Then you can add berries or chocolate chips or whatever toppings you like, but it's a really handy way of mixing a load of nutrients up in a bowl.

You can also look into protein bars etc.

You're in a pretty good position with being at a healthy weight and not having to worry about carbs and calories. there are loads of low fat options out there but low fat foods can sometimes be processed rubbish. Low fat Greek yoghurt has higher protein than low fat, but other than that just don't buy "low fat".

Lean meat, fish, whole grains and vegetables are all low in fat and key to balanced nutrition. Get meat at every meal (think turkey bacon bagel with veg for breakfast, chicken salad with quinoa or wholewheat pasta for lunch, beef stir fry with wholewheat noodles or brown rice for dinner and a flexbowl of Greek yoghurt fun for a snack).

for what it's worth I get about 140g protein into 1500 cals, but it doesn't need to be that high for most people, but this is what I do anyway. Good luck!
  • Seffell
    Options
    @foiensoi
    Wow! That is some great reply! So many good ideas and advices! Thank you SO much!
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Quark is low fat high protein. They do it in pretty much every supermarket now in the soft cheese section. It's pretty versatile too - I mix mine with pesto mostly but there's endless combinations.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have gastroparesis and I had my gallbladder removed last July. I have to limit fat and fiber. I set up the nutrients in my dashboard (I have the premium version) so I can keep an eye on them. I do 50 carb, 30 fat, 20 protein and limit my fiber to 15 grams a day. I get most of my protein from fat-free milk, peanut butter, and low-fat cheese. I also have fat-free yogurt sometimes and I eat meat a few times a week. As a former vegan I can tell you that you really don't need to worry about getting enough protein unless you drop below 45 grams a day. But I do have one question--when you say your diet is 50-70% fat, what exactly do you mean? I'm not sure what your diet would look like, what you would be eating to eat 70% fat unless you eat bacon and butter all day.
  • foiensoi
    Options
    Also - spices are your friend! Make your meat and vegetables exciting with spices and different cooking methods. Chicken can be baked in spices or herbs, with roast vegetables, or tonight I made beef stirfry in a nonstick pan so added no oil and just had beef, veg and a tiny bit of soya sauce but it could be any spice. Experiment with your vegetables and methods to make chicken exciting!
  • Seffell
    Options
    when you say your diet is 50-70% fat, what exactly do you mean? I'm not sure what your diet would look like, what you would be eating to eat 70% fat unless you eat bacon and butter all day.

It's not 50-70% any more. I started eating much less fat in February this year when I joined MFP. But before that it was like that. It is just how my family would cook (I'm from the Balkans originally )and I got it from them. They would put A LOT of oil in every cooked meal - like casseroles, stir fries, pots, just about everything cooked would include sautéed onion in like 300ml sunflower oil at least. When you add it to the casserole you also add the oil. They would deep fry most things - like fries, french toast, mish mash etc. Then on top of that I would eat cream, cheese, whole milk, butter every day in insane quantities. I used to drink 1litre of whole milk a day from the most of my life - 30+ years. My grandma was quite proud that she taught me as a child to drink this much milk... :) I used to eat salad with 200gr white cheese per portion. All the meat they cook is just the fat versions - usually pork ribs. They never ever bought lean meat because they considered it dry and tasteless. (Funny they are all normal/low weight...) Also the salads would have a lot of oil in them too (they are usually made of cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and peppers) so that you can dip your bread in the salad sauce on the bottom. There is also this thing like a slice of bread with oil poured on it and paprika which you eat for a snack sometimes. Can't remember what it's called. And so on and so forth...
    As a result of all that I find it very hard to eat lean meats and low fat diary - it is just not tasty to me. But I'm getting used to it slowly... Now I can't imagine any more pouring oil from the bottle like "cloc cloc cloc"... until there is at least an inch in the pot.... lol!

• foiensoi
    Options
    Gosh that must be so hard! Lucky for me I was brought up on pretty plain and boring food so i haven't had to adjust my tastebuds, just my calorie intake and sweet tooth! Must be so hard for the foodies and people brought up with delicious family diets where everyone is healthy (also families where takeaways are the norm).. Just try it for a few weeks abd visit the doctor again, it might be worth visiting a registered dietician as the diary here and people in the forum, while helpful, have their limitations and you should keep an eye on things with a medical professional. Good luck!