Get up early to workout!

Options
Any tips on making it easier:( I have no choice but to get up at 5:50 to go. I have work and school until 10 most days.

Replies

• centermom71
    centermom71 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When you find the secret please share! I keep setting my alarm for 5:30 to get up and exercise to turn right around and reset it in the morning so I can go back to sleep. I'm not a morning person but that is really the only time that I have and exercising in the late evening isn't good for my insomnia.
  • sbw23
    sbw23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have to leave for work at 630 and finding time is awful. If you figure this out let me know
  • sclark2017
    sclark2017 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Can you walk to school or work?
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I hate waking up in the morning....I have a trainer whom I train with.....so if I dare to miss it just remind myself I am losing something I love the most ..and at same time money I paid lol!!...have not missed any training session early in the mornings
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was moving my alarm far enough from the bed that I have to get up to turn it off; putting my exercise clothes right beside the alarm; and allowing myself a 10 minute "awake snooze" time once I was dressed (on the couch sitting, not back in bed)... just to have a chance to at feel at least a bit awake! I also drank some water during the 10 minutes because I usually feel pretty dehydrated when I wake up. It worked quite well considering I am the furthest thing from a morning person anyone can be! Good luck :)
  • EricLFC1892
    EricLFC1892 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    only real solution is go to bed earlier.. i rise at 4.30 to do a workout and once in a routine it becomes normal
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Can you be successful with so little sleep!? It takes me a while to go to sleep after getting home even if it's late, so I know I wouldn't be able to keep up a routine like that. I like the idea @sclark2017 has.. can you fit it into your day somewhere else like during breaks from class or work? If not, I might just resign myself to the fact that my schedule doesn't allow for working out except on the weekends and Mondays, assuming you're free on weekends and can get good enough sleep to get up so early on Mondays. That'd still be three days a week!
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm up every weekday morning at 2:40am (5am on weekends) because I have a nasty commute, a full-time job, and a toddler. It is N OT easy, but if you force yourself to listen to that alarm when it goes off...your body will adjust, and it will become easier. I started working out in the morning in the fall after realizing that evening workouts were just creating too much mayhem with all my after-work, at-home responsibilities. Probably took me 2-3 weeks to REALLY adjust and, now, I wouldn't have it any other way. I LOVE my early morning sessions. That time is all mine to focus on me and my workouts.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I find the longer I wait to workout, the harder it is to get motivated. Not all of the time, but enough to recognize early workouts are best for me and I am by no means a morning person. As was said previously, going to bed earlier helps. Of course it isn't easy to do right away, but over time ones internal clock will adjust. I've also found the better my workout, the easier it is for me to get to bed early. When I don't workout, I'm up until midnight or longer. When I workout, 9-10 is easy for me.
  • KatMR16
    KatMR16 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a morning person at all. My husband has been waking me up when he goes to work and he says i grunt at him lol and roll back over. I want to workout in the morning so I don't have to wait until noon when my youngest takes a nap. Also, i do my circuit training video and zumba and yoga. Fitting that all in on ONE napis impossible. I do my yoga before bed, when my kids are sleeping. But i miss zumba a lot because i don't get up early enough.
    It is literally impossible for me to go to sleep at 9 or 10. But i am sure if i made it a priority to raise at 5 am and working out, i would be tired when 9 or 10 came rolling around. I dunno. But I'm going to try it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    One of my friends gets up at 4:30, takes the 5:00 am train to get to his gym at 6:00 am. Every day. I'll just applaud.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has ever worked to force me out of bed in the morning is the flying alarm clock...you have to get up and find the helicopter piece and put it back on the base to make the horrific noise stop...this is the one I have, it worked great for years, but now I need new batteries for the clock part...

http://www.amazon.com/Northwest-80-CB338-Flying-Alarm-Clock/dp/B012A4IXES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464182208&sr=8-1&keywords=flying+alarm
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 3:45 (today I snoozed until 415) to workout. It is no longer that difficult because I am in the habit, I go to bed by 9 so I get around 7 hours of sleep (range is 7-9, 7 is not sleep deprived!), my gym clothes and everything I need are laid out the night before, I set a few alarms, I enjoy the gym more than I do sleep and just have to remind myself of that.
  • Sheri2016
    Sheri2016 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Once you start seeing the results from it will become a lot easier to just get up.
  • k8mcminn
    k8mcminn Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Have your workout gear lined up as well as your clothes for the day. I get up at 4:45 for the gym 3 days a week and this really helps keep me on track
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't know how anyone else does it because I tried for a whole month setting a routine, same time to go to sleep, same time getting up. My alarm clock is across the room, all my clothes set out, and I did it for a whole month. I am a horrible morning person. Well after a month I decided to stop because I was soooo tired from being up too early *(even thought I got a full 8 hours of sleep) and I hated every minute of being up instead of sleeping. If you find something that works let me know. I pretty much have given up on it and now don't workout unless I can find time in the evening, I try to get 10k steps a day and just watch my calories.
  • JennxoTIU
    JennxoTIU Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started by waking up by 15 mins earlier each day. I now wake up at 5am, give myself 30 minutes to get ready, and I'm off. I pack my gym bag and breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks for the day in my lunchbag the night before. Use Sunday to prep all your meals for the week, set out gym clothes for the week Sunday night, and put together a gym schedule Sunday and post it to instagram or on here for accountability. When I come home from work, I pack my gym bag and lunchbag for the next day. I also meditate for 30 mins before bed, which helps because I'm a light sleeper. I use the insight app guided meditation for deep sleep. Once the alarm goes off, I allow myself 15 mins to relax before getting out of bed. It also helps that my alarm is across the room instead of next to me so I have to get up to turn it off.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i actually sleep in my gym clothes, snooze to the exact minute where i know if i don't get out of bed and put on shoes i won't be able to get a run in, and try to go to bed earlier, but i am just NOT a morning person. no matter how much i know i feel better when i run, sometimes the snooze button wins.
  • briislovely
    briislovely Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I made myself get up today! Hoping that I can make it a habit! So happy that I got up:)
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I am a morning person anyway, but I usually try to psych myself up the night before-I try to fall asleep visualizing my morning workout, what my goals are, how I hope to feel, etc. That way when I'm tempted by the snooze button I am reminded how much I was looking forward to the workout, and that usually motivates me.