Any fellow bingers and emotional eaters?

Options
Hi! I'm 5'0" and looking to lose about 15 lbs. I am a big emotional eater and overeating is my biggest struggle in trying to lose weight. I enjoy working out and don't have a problem with my workout regime but getting my food under control is challenging.

I'm looking for new MFP buddies for support and encouragement. Feel free to add me! :-)

Replies

• sbw23
    sbw23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That is me as well. It is such a struggle
  • 120goalzz
    120goalzz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ah me too! It is so frustrating!!!
  • naturesoul
    naturesoul Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's so frustrating! I need to learn new tools to cope when I get stressed instead of turning to food. Let's encourage one another!
  • Hispanicprincess
    Hispanicprincess Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes me what do you guys usually do to cope? I draw a blank and I am just shoveling food when I get angry or stress out.
  • losingdays
    losingdays Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I find a couple of things work. First point of call is to chug at least a litre of water, wait 15 mins or so then see if you're still ravenous.
    Second off is having 'safe' foods like fruit and vege and soups on hand to munch on without worrying about the impact they have on your daily intake too much. Obviously, look into the nutritional content of the fruits/vege/etc that you choose as while healthy they can be high in sugar, carbs, sodium, etc.
    TL;DR keep healthy snacking options on hand ALWAYS so you're not reaching for the wrong stuff.
  • kiomami
    kiomami Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Same. I'm 5'1 and I'd like to lose about 10 pounds, I'm always yoyo-ing between 120-130 due to stress eating. I think it helps to track (obviously) and to keep healthy snacks nearby. Herbal tea helps a lot.
  • naturesoul
    Options
    Yes me what do you guys usually do to cope? I draw a blank and I am just shoveling food when I get angry or stress out.

I need to learn coping skills. Right now, I don't have much self control and immediately turn to food when I'm feeling stressed or bored.
  • naturesoul
    edited May 2016
    Options
    kiomami wrote: »
    Same. I'm 5'1 and I'd like to lose about 10 pounds, I'm always yoyo-ing between 120-130 due to stress eating. I think it helps to track (obviously) and to keep healthy snacks nearby. Herbal tea helps a lot.

I yo-yo a lot too. The same 6-7 lbs. I need to get better about tracking too. I'll do great all day and then 3pm rolls around and I get tired and bored and want to snack and I end up binging and say screw it and eat whatever I want for the rest of the day/evening. I need to break this cycle.

• naturesoul
    Options
    losingdays wrote: »
    I find a couple of things work. First point of call is to chug at least a litre of water, wait 15 mins or so then see if you're still ravenous.
    Second off is having 'safe' foods like fruit and vege and soups on hand to munch on without worrying about the impact they have on your daily intake too much. Obviously, look into the nutritional content of the fruits/vege/etc that you choose as while healthy they can be high in sugar, carbs, sodium, etc.
    TL;DR keep healthy snacking options on hand ALWAYS so you're not reaching for the wrong stuff.

I think that is very important - to make sure you have healthy foods and not trigger foods that are easy to binge on. I need to practice my self control more as that's not realistic for me though. My husband and son have foods that they enjoy so I have to manage having goldfish crackers and other delicious, carby snacks in the house. It really does come down to mind over matter.
    Must have willpower!
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    What about having a list of things to do when you feel a binge coming on? That's a coping skill I've learned through some support groups.

Like, painting nails, coloring book, going for a walk, calling a friend, reading a chapter of a book, etc. and saying to yourself, "I will do this thing first, then re evaluate how I feel after". And just keeping putting something between you and the binge. Delay it for as long as you can so you can be more mindful. "I will wait five minutes and binge only if I still feel like it" and once the five minute is us "I will call a friend and only binge after if I still feel like it" etc
  • sclark2017
    sclark2017 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I can relate so hard. I'm 5'0 too and I was 120 lbs and binging all the time and the past few months I've been working on controlling when and how much I eat and it's help me a lot. This is weird but something that made it easier for me to get in control is that I have a lot of friends that are constantly offering me food and politely saying no is surprisingly a really powerful feeling.