Could someone please tell me what is a good fat burner supplement to buy?

Options
I'm new to supplements and really could use some insight on a good product. I'm so confused.

Replies

• reneegordon72
    reneegordon72 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. I didn't know much about them.
    I was in GNC and I was reading about 20 bottles of different things that said were fat burners.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Hi Renee,
    Welcome to MFP.
    The good news is you really don't need any fat burning supplements to lose weight. The best thing to do is follow the recommended calorie goal MFP set for you, find a good food scale to help monitor portion sizes, and log your intake each day. Fat burning supplements don't really do anything as they usually require you to eat at a calorie deficit, which is exactly the same thing you'd do here, only MFP is free! Save your money for some new smaller clothes instead. :)

Best of luck!
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,162 Member
    Options
    :| No shortcuts, but deep down, you know this.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    The only thing getting skinny with these supplements is your wallet. ;)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Nope. If there were such a thing there'd be no fat folks.
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    suggested google "the truth about fat burning supplements"
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Very true. I guess no question is a dumb question.. Honestly I thought it was something that most people who are weight training used at one point or another to cut .. Guess I should research before I get on here and make a fool of myself. Lol
    Thank you all for the insight.
    Glad I didn't waste my money or time on it.

You're good. No stupid questions ever on here :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I follow John Glaude on YouTube and he is vlogging his cut right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNO_0FD1fXA

He uses MFP to track his calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Very true. I guess no question is a dumb question.. Honestly I thought it was something that most people who are weight training used at one point or another to cut .. Guess I should research before I get on here and make a fool of myself. Lol

Hey, we've all asked stupid things around here! The important thing is that you learned something new and will be better armed with knowledge as you move forward :drinker:
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Don't feel bad or stupid for asking. We were all new once and had questions. At least you asked and found out before wasting money on scammy products that don't do what they claim.
  • svornov
    svornov Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Nothings that works is available at GNC. Some prescription medicines are now available but require the supervision of a good doctor.

You certainly haven't made a fool of yourself; everybody here has succumbed to the allure of a quick fix. Some bodybuilders have used some dangerous stuff to cut. Believe me you don't want to go there! Bodybuilders normally, in my experience consider cutting going down from 13-20% for males, 23-30% for females down to 9-12% body fat for males, 19-22% for females.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    a deficit and its free!
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I wish I would have been on MFP to ask a few years ago before I dropped $100 on some miracle far burning supplement I was duped into buying at GNC. Did nothing. Now I'm losing weight and buying exercise from eating less and exercising regularly.
  • Anaris2014
    Anaris2014 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Not a dumb question at all. Thats what we are all here for - to ask questions and to learn from each other.

Sadly, as I understand it, none of those supplements have been demonstrated to work reliably in a manner that the benefit outweighs the potential harm.

Also, no! Don't feel that you have to research before asking a question here. By all means ask questions first, other here may be able to help you find good sources of information. If you just rely on Google it's easy to find "information", the question is whether or not it's good information. That's something you can work out by talking to others here. At least, I hope that's what this place is for because that's what I keep doing - asking questions and hoping someone will point me in the right direction.