60 pounds to lose.

Options
I just started getting some walking in. January 1 I started working from home and found myself completely sedentary and I've put on 10 lbs. I've started with the treadmill doing only 20 mins. Any suggestions for someone just starting to move?

Replies

• FelixaVK
    FelixaVK Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have to lose also 60 pounds. My weight two weeks ago was 216, today was 210!...
    My advise is, keep track of what you eat. It really helps to know how much you can eat. Drink lots of water... it has help me greatly! ... Go around the block for a short walk... 10 or 15 minutes helps... and even more if you do it 2 times a day. About two days ago, I just started to do 20 Jumping jacks - I am not sure I wrote it right- and I do it every two hours. It is leaving me out of breath!
    I hope this helps you... I am with you. Let's do it together.
    Felixa
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Start slowly and be kind to yourself!
    Some things that helped me were:
    Logging what I ate for a couple weeks before I started cutting down to my weight-loss calories. This helped me really see where I was overeating, and how to cut back on empty calories and unhealthy foods. Did I really need a whole tablespoon of mayo on my tuna sandwich? Could I just have an apple for my afternoon snack instead of a cookie? Once I saw where I could cut, it made cutting so much easier!
    Exercise starting slowly and build. I started with 20 minute walks around the block and now do about five miles a day! If you'd told me six months ago that I'd be doing that, I'd have said you were nuts. Find FUN exercises to do, things that you enjoy. If you aren't enjoying it or if it's trouble to do, you won't want to. If nothing else, turn on the music and dance while you cook dinner, clean house, etc.
    Challenge yourself to cook lighter, healthier foods. I specifically try to buy one fruit or vegetable that I've never used before on every shopping trip. It kind of turns healthy meals into an 'iron chef' challenge, instead of an 'if I see another boneless skinless chicken breast I'll scream' type of deal.

Good luck!
  • Roseann1266
    Roseann1266 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your doing great, take it slow so you don't hurt your self.
    Best of luck. You got this.

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    If you're motivated by numbers, pick up a step counter!

Don't forget the impact of a good meal plan, too. It's easy to graze all day working at home, so keep healthy options around!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Like others have said start slow and build. Don't look at this as a diet or something temporary, just is a lifestyle change and you need to buy into it. These are things that worked for me but your budget may dictate that some toys are optional.
    1) get a FitBit or other activity tracker. It helps motivate and provides data that you can look back on.
    2) get a logging WiFi scale like the Aria from FitBit. Once again the data helps motivate and provides feedback.
    3) get rid of or limit the calorie dense foods like chips, potatoes, breads, pasta and any sugary drinks and increase your produce with some lean meat. reduce portions too.
    4) log like your life depends on it! Be fair and accurate good or bad.
    5) start walking fast and a lot but start slow & build. I use Runtastic app to track running and power walks.
    6) when you are at about 3 miles a day fast pace walking start adding interval running into walks
    7) transition into running slowly
    This is what I did to get rid of a 50 pound beer gut that I had for decades. I lost the weight and fat, dropped cholesterol 50 points, lowered blood pressure, stopped snoring and cured insomnia. I became active and now run 25 miles a week. All of this and I never got hungry or dieted, you can do this.