Making Walks Interesting

Options
I want to take a walk every day but I'm the kind of person that needs to have an objective to be motivated. I usually do it by walking to nearby garage sales but we all know they don't typically run on week days. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you have a park nearby, walk around in there. I live one mile from a very large park and walk there everyday that it doesn't rain. There are many interesting things to see and the scenery at this time of year is very beautiful. My walks through the park are never less than 3.5 miles. :)
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Geo caching maybe? Not sure how that works. If you can do it with just something in your head zombies run has a feature that let's you use your phones GPS to run/walk to X location and pick up supplies then go back.
  • pluto2626
    pluto2626 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm a total nerd, but I love listening to audio books or podcasts while I walk. Makes the time fly by!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hubs does geocache on his walks/runs.
    I listen to audiobooks.
  • ValkyrieLula
    ValkyrieLula Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Zombies Run is a favorite of mine. Having the story to follow and escaping zombie hoards gives me something more to focus on when I'm out.
  • sclark2017
    sclark2017 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If there are any hiking spots in a reasonable distance, I'd say grabbing some friends and going for a 2 hour hike would be plenty fun
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I take my dog with me. He usually finds a rabbit, cat, or rodent to chase after. So to keep from loosing him I have to pay attention to whats going on. I also have a lot of ATV trails behind my house and while I'm back there I visit the local horses.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I read mfp on my phone when I'm walking. I get 20,000-25,000 steps a day without leaving home.
    I have a huge yard with 2 side gates, so I do 3000 + step blocks throughout the day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    At lunch I walk briskly around town, watching the people, glancing in shop windows etc.

After work, my husband and I walk to the beach and back. I love the beach, there's just something relaxing and enjoyable about it even if I'm walking at quite a brisk pace.
  • Anaris2014
    Anaris2014 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I may regret this suggestion... Ingress: an augmented reality game that can help you move if you're so inclined - may even help you notice some things in your neighbourhood that you've never paid any attention to before [caution: may be addictive].

Also, I tend to go with the podcast approach - there's almost certainly a podcast out there at will get your attention and keep you amused. I listen to quite a few podcasts and they tend to get me through a comfortable hour walk. It serves as down time instead of watching the TV/web-based entertainment..
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    For me an added interest in longer walks is photography. Nothing big, nothing special Just on my iphone and log some of it on instagram. During long day walks on my own (which I love) I send them to my husband when he is in his office. Sort of makes him part of the journey. As a result I try to go and walk in nice places for photography, but it also thaught me to look around in y surroundings more and enjoy that vs trying to distract myself during the walk.
    As a result i have discovered lots of lovely little things about my own city on my normal walk (commute to work)