Avoid for Maintenance

Options
There have been some great threads on what habits people do to maintain their weight. But what things do you avoid at all costs? What behaviors or thoughts will definitely sabotage your attempt to maintain your weight?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    KareninLux wrote: »
    Shopping when I am hungry. I buy stupid things and start eating them early.

Nice! I do this and actually will open something I plan to buy and start eating it! It is a real No No for me!

I do not avoid one single thing. Its not necessary. I stopped frozen processed stuff years ago, so this is not at play for me!
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm making sure to continue to log (so, I'm avoiding not logging). A few weeks ago I stopped logging for about two weeks and gained about 2-3 pounds in short order. Took about that much time to take the weight back off, but it reminded me that I need to log if I want to stay where I am.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Eating until I'm satisfied and eating what I want in the amounts I want. That's half of what got me morbidly obese (other half is not moving).
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I don't 'avoid' foods but I certainly plan for them. I don't eat takeaway as often and if I'm having a calorie dense meal out or a drinking session then I will try and get a good calorie burn during the day to compensate and/or be a little more strict with myself during the rest of the day. But if you go over one day here and there it's not going to suddenly ruin your progress and that's something I have to remind myself sometimes. OCD? Me? Naaaa....
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I avoid buying large/"share" sized bags of anything - crisps (UK), chocolate, bread, biscuits etc as I still struggle with willpower and find myself eating everything in the bag, whatever size it is.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Still avoid keeping trigger foods out of the house such as cookies and potato chips- hard to eat just one serving.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've just started maintenance and I know what the reality is--most people who lose weight gain it all back, and then some. I don't want to be one of those people cause I have been there many times before.

First off, when I started MFP, I accepted the fact that I will always have to log my food, every single day forever. Second, I am going to figure out what it feels like to eat the calories MFP has given me, a generous 2,050. I plan to sit still with this amount and see what happens. I am going to try not eating my exercise calories at first, i.e. not exercising just so I can eat MORE (not that this is a bad motivation). I am going to stop weighing every week, try to let go of that number on the scale.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't accept samples of sweet foods. I don't go to the grocery store unless I have the intention to buy something specific. I don't linger around snack food shelves. I don't stand and sniff food smells from shops/cafes. I don't buy edible goods that aren't intended for specific meals. I don't browse recipes for cakes/sweets.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I avoid junk food/highly processed and refined foods/empty calories. chips, candy, donuts, all that stuff. Forget about it. It no longer exists in my life. If I eat these things they vastly increase my appetite which leads to gaining weight and having to lose it back off. So they are best completely avoided.

Yup. Pretty much this. I stopped eating these things 14-15 years ago and have been maintaining since. They are no longer appealing at all, which makes it easier.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Avoid complacency.

YES!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid a negative mind set. One of the things that always derailed me in the past was being too down on myself. If I had a big day of over eating, I would convince myself that I couldn't do it and just give up. These days, I remind myself, that one day or even two does not make a bad diet, as long as it balances out over all.