pasta

Options
qiaralim
qiaralim Posts: 33 Member
any healthy and low calories pasta recipe?

Replies

• CopperB73
    CopperB73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hope a slightly tangental answer is OK?
    If you can get your hands on a spiralizer (a kitchen gadget that shreds veg into spiral -shaped noodles) you can quickly make some really nice dishes replacing the pasta with zuchinni. Here are some recipes hurrythefoodup.com/zoodle-zucchini-pasta-recipes/
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    How low in calories do you want it to be?
    A portion of pasta 75g dry weight is roughly 260-270 cals and is not a large amount.
    Veggie tomato based sauces made from scratch are lower in cals than creamy sauces also additions like meatballs and cheese will up the calorie count considerably.
    I manage to fit pastas and gnocchi in my allowance for the week but I bulk up on veggies to pad it out and try to avoid rich sauces.
    I started making my own skinny pesto with no nuts that I freeze in very cube portions so I can have some when ever I want.
    If I want a creamy sauce I use low fat cream cheese and Parmesan which gives a lot of flavour for a little cals.

Also another option is to have a richer sauce with a vegetable noodle - zucchini, carrot , sweet potato , butternut squash are good and if you are in the US you can get spaghetti squash.

Look at Pinterest for great ideas
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A dish will be more or less nutritious depending on what you put into it. The number of calories will depend on the amount you eat. Ordinary pasta can be a part of a healthy meal. Almost any normal recipe will be just fine. You don't really need any recipes anyway. Add some vegetables, meat and cheese, and it's going to be delicious.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It's hard to make pasta low calorie unless you bulk it out with lots of other low calorie - high volume foods.

I like to make a herby tomato sauce with onions, mushrooms and broccoli. You can get a lot more volume out of not that many calories with those. If you can make it fit into your calories a dollop of cream cheese makes it nice and creamy too.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I like to roast cauliflower and bulk my pasta with it. Cauliflower is so neutral - it just tastes like any sauce that you put on the pasta, and roasting gives it a nice texture. I even like just whole wheat pasta, cauliflower, and a tomato sauce with some spices added to kick it up a notch.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I make reasonably low cal pasta dishes all the time.

A serving of pasta (2 oz) has about 200 calories, which makes it higher cal than my usual serving of potatoes or sweet potatoes, if I eat them as the starch, but goes quite well with a sauce made of lots of vegetables and lean meat, with a little oil. I think it's plenty -- the sauce is what makes the volume -- and might even use a little less. For the sauce I often use shrimp or clams and am more likely to enjoy boneless, skinless chicken breast with pasta than on its own. I tend to use whatever vegetables and meat I have on hand, and then depending on those might add some olives or something.

I also will make a meat sauce with the leanest ground beef, tomatoes, and lots of other vegetables. Plain marinara is good too, but wouldn't end up with as much protein as I like for a typical meal.