stalled weight loss

Options
Greetings,

I have been doing MFP since April and have lost 15 lbs.
I have a 1200 calorie per day limit + whatever calories I earn
by exercising. I have been 95% on track. I do at least 30 min
of stationary bike (intervals) per day and a series of dynamic
stretching - with free weights 3 x week. I like a couple of
glasses of white wine at night and factor in those calories.
I wonder if the stall is because of the wine. Or could it be
that I also still eat some carbs? (whole wheat bread, ww pasta,
rye crackers)? I am frustrated and wonder if someone has some
advice. Thanks!

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    A 'couple' of glasses of white wine a day is certainly not helping. At 1200 calories a day, that means that around 25% of your calories come from alcohol. The alcohol may as well be straight sugar, given the way your body metabolizes it, and it gets priority access for processing as a poison. You body runs off the alcohol until it's gone, meaning anything in your system besides the alcohol is stored as fat. So yes, a diet of 25% alcohol a day is a huge hindrance in weight loss. It also means that you are not receiving adequate nutrition for an exercising body since the alcohol calories are empty calories.

Reducing the starchy carbs would help, as again, these are utterly devoid of nutrition. How many of your calories actually do provide any nutrition?
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You do NEED carbs!!! Especially after a workout, your body is starved! Wine is a big no no lol. Plus you may be plateauing.. ry switching up your workouts, do something different..
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same position. and, yes I think it might have something to do with alcohol period (I also like having a glass or 2 of wine before dinner and sometimes something else). But, I've noticed that on days that I don't have it, and eat properly, a couple of pounds will come off. Some one told me that you have to lay off for awhile so that the body readjust to not having that sugar spike. Because our bodies get used to getting a little wine and is ready and waiting to metabolize it. (LOL!). But, I think it also has to do with maybe water retention and a little to do with a slower metabolism.
  • StevenCabral
    StevenCabral Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the wine because I drink two glasses of red a day and wondered myself. It seemed that after I lost the first nine pounds I plateaued and didn't lose for three weeks but then it passed and continued to lose 10 more pounds and I hit another plateau because I've been at this weight for three weeks now and today finally dropped a pound.

My advice is just keep doing what your doing, the weight will continue to come off.
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    A 'couple' of glasses of white wine a day is certainly not helping. At 1200 calories a day, that means that around 25% of your calories come from alcohol. The alcohol may as well be straight sugar, given the way your body metabolizes it, and it gets priority access for processing as a poison. You body runs off the alcohol until it's gone, meaning anything in your system besides the alcohol is stored as fat. So yes, a diet of 25% alcohol a day is a huge hindrance in weight loss. It also means that you are not receiving adequate nutrition for an exercising body since the alcohol calories are empty calories.

Reducing the starchy carbs would help, as again, these are utterly devoid of nutrition. How many of your calories actually do provide any nutrition?

This is a great answer to the question. Well said!
  • dellamam
    dellamam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Actually I eat a wide range of fruits and vegetables and
    try to eat protein at each meal (mostly fish or chicken - red meat rarely)
    and with the added exercise calories it is upped to 1500 - 1600 calories per day.
    I am conscious of nurtition and the damage that empty calories can do.
    :smile:
  • SunnyDispo619
    Options
    Try switching up your cardio - either up the level or do a new activity. Maybe cut out one glass of wine as well. See if that makes a difference. Good luck!
  • Emily4H
    Emily4H Posts: 170
    Options
    I always try to do an extra workout if I am going to have a glass of wine, because the calories are empty. I agree with those who are advising you to switch up your workouts. Hang in there - it will work out.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Actually I eat a wide range of fruits and vegetables and
    try to eat protein at each meal (mostly fish or chicken - red meat rarely)
    and with the added exercise calories it is upped to 1500 - 1600 calories per day.
    I am conscious of nurtition and the damage that empty calories can do.
    :smile:

But you're still missing out on proper nutrition by consuming so many empty calories.
  • XxBri22xX
    XxBri22xX Posts: 183
    Options
    Cut back on the wine, its not helping you. You need carbs but cut down a little bit. Try not to eat so much pasta or breads. Try limiting yourself to 2 slices of bread per day, and only do pasta a couple times a week. I also have a 1200 calorie limit and I love eating my breads and pastas as well. But they just expand in your stomach and they make you feel fat...
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    Wine is completely fine to drink - but do you drink it nightly? If it's a daily thing, that might just be the culprit. If it's something you enjoy once a week, then, no, it's not the problem.

I personally enjoy a glass of wine a few nights a week and it has clearly not stalled my progress. Besides, I'm not willing to give up wine for the rest of my life, so I'm not giving it up to lose weight. That's unrealistic and not sustainable.

I would try mixing it up, both workout- and food-wise. Go without wine for a week and see if that's it. If it's not, change up your workouts or what you eat. It's all trial and error.