metabolism trick?

Options
anybody have a good way to raise metabolism? I heard it is critical to weightloss, I personally have been working out for about 3 weeks doing 45 mins of cardio(about 350 calories burned) and also eating below or at calorie amount but have not seen a visual change

Replies

• princetonmayberry
    princetonmayberry Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    very insightful replies, thanks!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There are no tricks. Eat in a deficit to reduce body fat, eat in a surplus to gain muscle (with some fat).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Engage in a progressive lifting regime.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Also try being more patient. 3 weeks is nothing.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I agree I didn't see much change until 3 to four weeks of measuring my food and eating at a deficit and it wasn't much of a change. Only showing on the scale not so much on my body. I'm pretty sure I'm seeing a bit of change in my clothes now. Around 5 weeks, maybe six. I'd have to double check how long I've been consistent but it isn't a big change yet. However Eve a bit of a change has made my day today because I'm more comfortable in my clothes. Thank God for some physical change so I'm motivated today to be consistent.
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm three months in on my weight loss, obese (so drops should be noticeable) I've dropped 25lbs (Over 7% of my total weight from start) and I'm *just* now looking at getting one size smaller pants. Weight loss happens regularly - appearance is slow. If you're frustrated, make sure to also incorporate measurements every week and take a swim trunks photo every week.
  • healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    anybody have a good way to raise metabolism? I heard it is critical to weightloss, I personally have been working out for about 3 weeks doing 45 mins of cardio(about 350 calories burned) and also eating below or at calorie amount but have not seen a visual change

What do you mean a "visual" change? As in, looking in the mirror? Or the scale? I would keep at it, It's been about 8 weeks for me & I am just now starting to see the change in my face & collar bone, but still not elsewhere (others are pointing it out now, too). Just remember, it's not a race to get there... Don't get discouraged so soon in your journey!! :)
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think your question is getting over looked... there are lots of ways to increase your metabolism (most are not permanent) that can be incorporated into you journey day by day.

You can exercise/walk/lift/run for a metabolic boost (long walks can have a 2 days effect on your metabolism)

You can add in spices keyan/Red chilli/various peppers

There a foods that boost - pineapple/watetmellon/jalapeño

There are supplements that can be added naturally -
    Caffeine (I like it from green tea)

These will only aid you if you are in a calorie deficit. Log accurately and keep up the hard work.

• keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There are no tricks to any of this. It takes hard work, planning, and commitment. It's a lifestyle change.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I think your question is getting over looked... there are lots of ways to increase your metabolism (most are not permanent) that can be incorporated into you journey day by day.

You can exercise/walk/lift/run for a metabolic boost (long walks can have a 2 days effect on your metabolism)

These will only aid you if you are in a calorie deficit. Log accurately and keep up the hard work.

No on this. There are no magic foods or spices that will do much of anything. Foods all contain certain antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and these are all things you get from diet. But metabolism jump starters or metabolism boosting no.

Caffeine is a stimulant and in a very short term can boost the metabolic rate and increase fat burning, very short lived. Do not take caffeine at the advice of anyone other than your doctor or that you have used caffeine in the past .

Ok, here is and it was mentioned earlier, you can perm increase metabolism by putting on lean mass! And to add icing to the cake, keep eating. When you do not eat enough, your metabolism slows down. So eat the calories MFP gave you to loose weight and net these calories every single day.
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

No on this. There are no magic foods or spices that will do much of anything. Foods all contain certain antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and these are all things you get from diet. But metabolism jump starters or metabolism boosting no.

Caffeine is a stimulant and in a very short term can boost the metabolic rate and increase fat burning, very short lived. Do not take caffeine at the advice of anyone other than your doctor or that you have used caffeine in the past .

Ok, here is and it was mentioned earlier, you can perm increase metabolism by putting on lean mass! And to add icing to the cake, keep eating. When you do not eat enough, your metabolism slows down. So eat the calories MFP gave you to loose weight and net these calories every single day.

They foods you eat can have a huge impact on your metabolism plain and simple

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/10_metabolism_foods.htm
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

That blog post references one study, on green tea, and it doesn't even link to that study.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Agree with the above about making sure you are weighting and logging everything correctly. 3 weeks is too soon to notice and visible change. As far as boosting your metabolism why not add in strength training.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Agreed on the magic foods. Green tea, cayenne pepper, coffee and all that stuff... think of it as teeny tiny boosts to your metabolism. Like a bonus. Like, I would really only do that to make me feel better. I think your new-to-exercise type stuff like walking, hiking, running / jogging, recreational cycling, etc. are good, but I agree with others when they say that serious strength training and putting on muscle is going to give you the biggest boost to metabolism and the greatest help with weight loss. All that said, you can lose weight through what you put in your mouth alone. However, you won't look nearly as good when all that fat's gone than if you'd put on the muscle while doing so.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I am pretty sure that the capsaicin in spicy food raises the body temperature, not metabolism, right?
    Am I reading this study right? I was reading points 3 (Results) and 4 (Discussion). Somebody halp. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3022968/
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

That blog post references one study, on green tea, and it doesn't even link to that study.

The study that's almost always used for green tea is a 1999 study that showed a 4% boost in metabolism (or roughly 50-100 extra calories). It's not exactly what I would call a "huge" boost. (I think this is the link, but I'm not at my usual computer and had to go digging: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10584049)

I've looked for similar research on the other foods mentioned, but haven't found it yet and no one ever seems to be able to give me links to studies.