Weightloss with Thyroid

Options
Hello, I am 30 years old and have been struggling with hypothyroid and weightloss. I was managing pretty well until I had my son. Now it's all I can do to keep the pounds off. I guess I need some support and any help I can get at this point. I just currently became a stay at home mom so I can't afford to pay gym costs. I try to walk/run in the neighborhood and on my treadmill. If you have any other suggestions I am open to try just about anything right now. :smile: :smile:

Replies

• bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hi there I am 30 as well and I too have hypothyroid and up until I had kids it was fine and so was my weight now after 3 kids Im starting to get serious about losing it for good its been a slow process but Im getting there. You can add me as a friend if you want, Good Luck!
  • witchyboots
    witchyboots Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to MFP! I have thyroid problems too but I've managed to lose 42lbs in 6 months without ever setting foot in a gym so have hope..it can be done! I'm just taking it slowly and making sure I take my medication every day, which I was NOT doing before. Bad, I know. Feel free to add me to your friends list for support :flowerforyou:
  • maribethp
    maribethp Posts: 13
    Options
    Welcome!! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease after having my two girls in my early 30s so I can relate. I still take levothyroxine every day and it keeps my metabolism on track (among other things like mental clarity and a regular menstrual cycle). I can usually tell right away when I need to tweak my dosage on the meds. Luckily in this last year, I've gotten so much more active and fit that I was able to lower my dose instead of increase it!! I've lost about 10 lbs(according to my doc, that's about all a wacky thyroid can be responsible for) too so that may have helped :) My main advice to you would be just that: In order to increase your metabolism, get active and eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day. I've found I need to eat about every 2-3 hours...just like a baby. Good luck and be patient with yourself. You can do it!
  • jenfitz34
    jenfitz34 Posts: 31
    Options
    I have hasimoto's disease and have suffered with weight issues. You just have to be EXTRA vigilant about counting calories and pushing yourself VERY hard while exercising. If you can afford it I suggest getting the Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout.
    I've lost 37 lbs since April and losing weight with Hashimotos (a autoimmune disease of the thyroid) is almost impossible.
    It takes changing seriously bad habits, and drinking proper amounts of water, along with consistant exercise and hormone replacement therapy is a must. If you aren't taking meds for it you will just keep gaining weight.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    friend request sent. :)

I know what it is like...

and now its gone. ♥

I can help you with this journey.
    I was alone on my journey when i had the problem. So i did a lot of researches, and learned so much from it. ♥
  • jujubugs22
    jujubugs22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I am glad to have a place like this I can come to for support. I have my chin up and keep pushing forward. Thank you for the advice. I am open to all suggestions. Thank you again! It means a lot.
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've been taking synthroid for 25 years, have gained and lost weight just like everyone else. The most important thing is to get your thyroid levels checked regularly, take your synthroid as recommended, and take in less calories than you expend.
  • amorgan101187
    Options
    I have hyprotthyroid too, i take 100mcg. It got worst after i had my daught and was pregnant with my son. I was on 50 mcg before up until i got pregnant with my son. So far i have lost 12lb since memorial day so in one month so i think thats pretty good. I have lots more energy. I think as long as you take your medicine it is possible but if you skip dosages and dont keep on track with it it will be harder to lose weight and harder to workout since youll have less energy
  • Lucycousins
    Options
    Hi,
    I also have this in my family and weight is a struggle to get off too. You can do it, but it takes work. Keep track of everything you eat and try to walk/run for at least 1 hour everyday. Try to focus on following a South Beach type eating plan. Focus on lots of veggies with your protein. A great time to hop on your treadmill and get your cardio in, is when your little guy is napping. Keep up the good work and you can do it! Remember to celebrate the small victories like a 1 or 2 pound weight loss.
  • melinda6569
    melinda6569 Posts: 124
    Options
    well i am not 30 anymore but i do have a Thyroid problem as well..I have take synthroid for about 10 years ( when i turned 30) My problem started when i had my tubes tied. i was also a stay at home mom and just got Fatter and Fatter, Now my kids are all grown up and it is My Time!! i have lost 38 pounds since sept 2010..it can be done.( just takes a little longer) Be strong keep your chin up and don't give up! feel free to send me a friend rquest.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think selenium supplements can help with that? I'm not sure, I think I skimmed past that whike I was reading about selenium. Look it up online and if it looks like I'm right maybe you should discuss with your doctor (: