White bread vs Seeded bread

Options
Just had my lunch, which included 2 slices of seeded bread, and logged it in my diary... out of interest I searched white bread, of the same brand and it works out the white is 78 ish lower in calorific value. I feel cheated now lol, but I'm presuming the seeded bread would be better for you even though it's higher in calories or do I just stick to white bread from now on?

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I just compared my seeded bread against the same brand of white bread, the calories are the same, but there's more fat in the seeded bread, healthy fats from the seeds. Looking at the ingredients, there's a lot of E numbers in the white bread, but it comes down to which you prefer. For me as the calories are the same, it comes down to taste and health so I go for the seeded bread.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice already but to add another point: just because something is higher in calories than an equivalent version doesn't automatically make it a worse choice from a dieting perspective.

The seeded bread "costs" 78 cals more than the white bread in this situation. At first glance it makes it harder to achieve your calorie deficit.

However, say because of its fiber content it help keeps you full until supper time without you experiencing the 4pm munchies and you don't eat anything further until that time. However, say because you ate the white bread you do get hungry mid afternoon and have a couple of biscuits amounting to 200 calories.

So, in the above scenario although you initially "spent" 78 calories more you actually ended up saving 122 calories over the day.

It is abundantly clear that being able to manage appetite and hunger is a great asset in weight loss efforts. It will take a bit of experimentation on your behalf to determine what foods help and hinder you in this regard. However, if you learn the skills of being a shrewd investor then riches will surely follow ;)

Best of luck.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    If it's a true seeded bread: it will be more nutrient dense and will have more fiber. if that matters to you, then eat it.
    It matters to me. I typically don't eat heavily refined, bleached, enriched breads. Bread doesn't make or break a diet, but small steps lead to big things. My breads are part of my overall plan. Yours should be too.
    If calories are the only thing you are concerned with, eat the one with the best calorie profile.

That's why I lean towards whole wheat, seeded etc as well. I also like the taste, honestly if I did not like it I would not eat it. I would get my fiber elsewhere...
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I looove seeded bread. Country Harvest makes so many awesome kinds (sprouted wheat is my new fave at 110 cals per slice). If I'm having that kind of bread for breakfast, I only eat one slice with a topping (egg with spinach, or different cream cheeses, or mashed avocado, etc) and have fruit and yogurt on the side.

Lately I've been buying the multigrain Weight Watchers bread with quinoa. Still seedy and better tasting than white bread IMO, and only 100cals for 2 slices (which lets me have more toppings on my sandwiches ;).)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    just because something is higher in calories than an equivalent version doesn't automatically make it a worse choice from a dieting perspective.

This needs to be said often. Look how many threads there on on finding the lowest calorie version of every food imaginable: bread, pasta, cereal, fruits, deli meats, cheeses, etc.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I miss whole wheat bread! I am on low fibre and my body fully rejects everything that has seeds, nuts, skin, etc. It's hard being low fibre when everything these days is about adding fibre!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Compare fiber - that's what makes the difference for me. Although I would probably not spend 78 extra calories for less than 6g of fiber.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i like both for different things. I NEED my artisan breads to be white... ciabatta baguettes ect. I like whole wheat/whole grain for cold sandwiches toast ect.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Seeds are like nuts, full of fat, so no wonder seeded breads have more calories. They contain the energy needed to get that future plant up and running before it can take nutrients from the soil, just like nuts, which are basically the same thing.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    What's "better for you" depends in your particular health situation and goals. If the seeded bread keeps you fuller longer then the seeded bread may have been a better option for you, as it would prevent you from reaching for an afternoon snack that probably would have had more than the 70-ish extra calories that were in the seeded bread. But, otherwise, the white bread creates a bigger deficit for you if you don't have a snack, which also may work in your favor if it fills you up perfectly fine.

I eat white bread, mostly. Either gluten-free bread (which is mostly made of starches, which may as well be all-purpose flour since it all is equally empty of nutrition) or white spelt, since that is what digests more easily for me. I just limit the amounts of either that I eat since I know that neither one is good for me in excess. For me, the seeded bread would be a poor choice, since it wouldn't digest well and would make my gut very unhappy.

In short, the "better choice" is the one that works best for you.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Just had my lunch, which included 2 slices of seeded bread, and logged it in my diary... out of interest I searched white bread, of the same brand and it works out the white is 78 ish lower in calorific value. I feel cheated now lol, but I'm presuming the seeded bread would be better for you even though it's higher in calories or do I just stick to white bread from now on?

"The whiter the bread, the sooner your dead...."
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    White bread is too plain and boring for me. I go for sour dough or multi grain. The extra cals are worth it.
  • lezbefit88
    lezbefit88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    White breads are not good. It's bleached so all the essential nutrients are removed, or so they say..
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    lezbefit88 wrote: »
    White breads are not good. It's bleached so all the essential nutrients are removed, or so they say..

What does "not good" mean? I love white bread. The texture, the yeasty smell, the taste... In my opinion, white bread is very good.

If I'm looking for something more nutritious I'll have Ezekiel bread. Also very good.