Self Sabotage!

Options
We are all on our own journeys, but together I think we all struggle with the same problem, we get in our own way of success!
I recently had a bad week where I didn't lose any weight, as a matter of fact, I went up a few ounces. Looking back I would say that that's not a bad thing, just try hard this week and be grateful I didn't gain more, right? But what did I find myself doing? SABOTAGE!!!! I had depressing day where everything was an obstacle. Every article of food I found in my path was a mental battle not to eat. So what did I find myself doing at 3:00 in the afternoon, justify eating an ice cream sandwich. In my mind I was saying, "Well you already failed loser so why not?" Of course, after I ate it I felt guilty and worse about myself! Its a vicious cycle.
So why do we do this to ourselves? Will I ever be able to conquer the voice in my head telling me to give up? I am reaching out to you, myfitnesspal "pals" to see if there are any tricks to blocking out the voice in my head and is there is a light at the end of the tunnel? A time that I will not have to have my guard up all the time against my worst enemy- MYSELF!

Replies

• woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I totally can relate to this, all day, every day. It is such an ongoing battle. Most times I lose, but when I win, it's so nice. Baby steps, patience, etc. I like to look at positive quotes, encouraging words, listen to empowering music, etc.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    The best thing I've learned to not blow things out of proportion. When I do I just feel worse and then eat more. This usually leads to a binge. The message that MFP gives at the end of each day has given me great perspective. "If EVERY Day were Like today." You have to binge consistently to gain weight. Knowing that helps me keep my head on straight.
  • tjjalmeida
    tjjalmeida Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Thank you for sharing this discussion. I like that you mentioned at the end of your post that after you indulged, you logged it all on MYFITNESSPAL. I think that is the KEY! Because after you slip, you were accountable and got back to business.
    I will just mention that I do allow myself cheat meals. Usually one a month because I still have so much weight to lose. But I plan on having a cheat day each week once I am at the "Maintain" stage. That's not the issue so much right now though, it was more the negative thoughts that told me I failed and told me to quit. I am always battling with my mind. Its hard not to feel hopeless and give up. I try to hold on to things that make me feel good like how my clothes feel and how I have more energy. But its a daily battle.