Cool down

Options
How important is cooling down really? Is it something worth taking the extra minutes to do? Or is the walk to the locker room and a cold shower good enough?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're doing.
    lifting- I don't cool down.
    cardio- I take a minute to walk around and 3-5 minutes of some stretching.
    Do what works for you- if somethings making you stiff- don't do it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Lifting = I do not cool down, but I do warm up
    Cardio (running for me) = I now do warm ups (7 mins) and cool downs (7 mins), which is walking, very very light jogging. Min stretching as I have over stretched before.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I usually do 10 or so minutes of static stretching (the stretch-and-hold stuff) after working out. But flexibility is my problem child -- the amount of warm-up / cool-down time I put in is probably excessive for most people.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    It's good for recovery. Even 5-10 minutes of stretching/foam rolling/deep breathing would be good.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't cool down. Never had an issue with it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i would like to cool down after lifting by just walking around a while so my body doesn't cramp up. sadly i have an hour drive home from my gym , and sitting for an hour right after lifting sucks.

and after cardio i definitely cool down for about 15 minutes of just walking or moving around.
  • JessaWannaEatEverything
    JessaWannaEatEverything Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks everyone!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It's good for recovery. Even 5-10 minutes of stretching/foam rolling/deep breathing would be good.

This. Plus, if you want to get more flexible, stretching a little after the workout when you're nice & warm is the perfect time to get it in. It really only takes 10-15 minutes.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I don't specifically cool down, but I do stretch - particularly my hamstrings. Ouch.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Dynamic warm up before

Static stretching after

Foam roll two or three times a week.

I never used to do any of this stuff, ended up with knots in my back and lack of flexibility.
    Had to get deep tissue massages to fix this, the massages made me tear up from the pain.
    They hurt you to heal you.

I learnt my lesson.

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Usually static stretching after workout, especially strength as I tend to stiffen up if my form is even slightly off and it helps. Course, I then usually pop my earbuds in and dance for 15 minutes to stretch out the whole body and relieve the day's stress so not sure if I can say I "cool down" since my HR is typically 140ish by the end lol
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    IMHO, it depends on what you're doing for exercise. If I HIIT or run or hard cardio I always take 5 minutes to walk around after to let my body and heart rate relax a bit. I've been told (take this as you will) that if you immediately stop and sit or stand still after fast aerobic exercise that your blood will "pool" in your legs and you may feel faint. I'm no doctor and no fitness expert, but will tell you from personal experience that this has happened to me before... saw spots, felt faint, etc. Do what you will... that's just my 2 cents.
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't cool down on cardio and have never had an issue with it. If I'm a little tight after, I may stretch a little, otherwise, my cool down is my normal walking to the locker room and to the car.