Any Nurses or Nursing Students Out There?

Options
Hey guys I'm looking for ways to get my work out in other than the clinical floor without dying from being over worked? As a student I'm spending most my time on my bum, trying to work out at 30 min a day, clinical or not.

What do you do?

Replies

• amorgan101187
    Options
    im a nursing student - i dont start clinical until fall. However, im trying to get into a habit of eating well and working out so it just comes to me when clinicals start. nursing school can be so exhausting. do you do am or pm clinical? if you have time in the morning i would suggest something to get your energy going and once your in the habit of a morning routine it will just come to you (might be exhausting for the first 2 weeks). Or try something relaxing after your hectic day like yoga.
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Do you mean ways to work out at work? I have new mom brain and I may not be understanding you right ;)

The floor I work on has a sign posted somewhere that says how many laps around the floor makes 1 mile, on night shifts I've tried to lap the floor a couple times, and I also take the stairs from the bottom to the top too, that's killer for me! With all the bending over we do, try and do squats rather then bend at the waist, it's better for your back and it also works your legs and glutes! Think of every catheter bag you empty as a lower body work out! Haha!

Katie
  • rubianne1979
    Options
    Somedays you just have to break your workour up into smaller grouping. You can also look at small things you can do while on break, like walking up and down the stairs a couple times or walking around the building.
    These are some of the things that I do, except the stairs because my work doesn't have stairs.
    Hope this helps.
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    i've been a nurse for longer that i want to admit to!! i know it isn't for everyone, but i get up extra early in the morning to work out. i just can't work up the energy to work out after coming home from a stressful day of being on my feet all day, do groceries, laundry, clean, be there for everyone etc, etc, etc. if i do it in the morning i feel physically better the rest of the day and the sense of accomplishment feels pretty darn good also!!
  • sd688
    sd688 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm a nursing student too. I am on summer break and so am not doing clinicals right now. I am trying to get into a good routine right now. I found it really hard during school to find time to exercise but I think it is very important. I know that if I took 30 minutes to exercise everyday that my stress level would have been much better. I don't think its enough to get exercise during clinical. I think that for me I need atleast 30 minutes of cardio. My professor told us too that the quality of study time is better after exercise. Which is another reason why it is so important.
  • LaurieRny
    LaurieRny Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Im a student nurse from the UK. We have blocks of 12 weeks at a time in clinical areas and work days, nights, weekends, evenings.....u name it! I find the best thing is to plan out ur meals at work and to wear a pedometer to count ur steps. U walk so much u want to know how much u burn off right?
    My big downfall is in the UK patients are BIG on giving nurses boxes of chocolate and biscuits as a thank u present ....Its just trying to avoid them and remember exactly why ur doing this :) xx
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I guess I keep doing what I do.I should tryto get up with my dogs everymorning for a walk, but during school I want that 5 more mins so bad lol
  • Rhondast
    Rhondast Posts: 93
    Options
    I've been a nurse for 18 years. I audit charts at home and throughout the United states, but I used to work with patients.So if I exercise, I either go to the yoga studio, or do Jillian Michaels.