Start weight lifting now or wait?

Options
kariplz
kariplz Posts: 41 Member
I just started exercising and using MFP in hopes to lose 40-45 lbs to be at my goal weight. I want to keep seeing results weekly to stay motivated throughout the process (even if it's small ones). I'm counting calories and weighing my food. I don't have a specific time frame and I am committed to this as long as it takes.

My question is, whenever I ask someone that's weight lifting after they lost all their weight, their advice to me is always ' I wish I would have started sooner' but what program is best for someone starting out, that wants to be lean and have muscle mass but also needs to lose a good amount of weight? I can't imagine that I would lose much weight just lifting. Someone please advice :)

Replies

• juma4474
    juma4474 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi,

When I started my weight loss journey I was 258lbs, I'm not 135lbs; my journey started almost a decade ago. My profile picture is my most recent results with the before being January 2016 and the after just a few weeks ago. Check your message inbox, I sent you some more info!

Jes
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    5x5 or any of its different variations.

It's a strength routine and is amazing for noobs, men and women.

Incorporate some cardio, good nutrition and watch the calories.
    Log your numbers every session.
    Log your cals diligently.
    You'll have to tweak your calories and macros as you go along.
    Adjust things based on the results you're getting.

You'll make good progress.

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Start now. You may not lose weight as quickly, but you'll likely preserve more muscle mass. Inches will drop, and you'll be happier with the end result.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308750/so-you-want-to-start-lifting-great/p1

For someone just starting out, a full-body, 3x per week program with compound lifts is a good place to start. Incorporate cardio a 2-3 times a week if you wish, but the calorie deficit is what's necessary for weight loss.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    There are several beginner's programs, which is where I would start in your case.
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Strong Curves
    Ice Cream Fitness
    Starting Strength
    All Pro
    As well as a bunch on bodybuilding.com

As long as you keep your calories in check, you will lose weight. With lifting, more of your weight lost will be fat instead of muscle and fat. Also, note that for the first 2-4 weeks of lifting, you may not lose much per the scale. Your body will retain water to help with muscle repair, which can mask any weight loss on the scale. Give it 2-4 weeks to fall off, and your progress will resume.

Also, I totally agree with the "wish I would have started sooner" sentiment. I lost almost 100 pounds through diet and running alone. Spoiler alert: I didn't look much different 100 pounds lighter because my body composition was very similar, just 100 pounds lighter. I then stopped running as much and started lifting weights. Now I weigh a bit more, but I'm about the same and have more definition than I did back then. If I would have known, I would have lifted from day 1!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    start now.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I did SL5x5 (still doing a variation of it, but at 3x8 since I have no more weights and need to get more) and I've lost 50lb.

If you use the MFP method, then exercise has no bearing on rate of weight loss as the weight loss is factored in prior to doing any exercise. In the beginning I lost 2lb/week, now I'm losing 0-0.5lb/week and my exercise is the same as before (only more intense since I can lift more weights). The real difference is that I eat a lot more now than I did 1 year ago when I started.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Definitely start lifting now. Weight loss with weight lifting will definitely speed up the process but you also get more toned and you'll see more dramatic results than if you were just losing weight.

Personally I like the Beachbody products with Tony Horton I've had a lot of success with it they've improved my flexibility and it's something you can do at home if your not comfortable in a gym environment as a beginner. My recommendation would be the new version of his old program P90 it's really good takes about half an hour. The program just doesn't include lifting weights he incorporates yoga moves and some ice some metrics so the results are really accelerated. Good luck in your journey
  • kariplz
    Options
    Thank you Steve but I'm mainly looking for weight lifting workouts and not so much HIIT.
    Definitely start lifting now. Weight loss with weight lifting will definitely speed up the process but you also get more toned and you'll see more dramatic results than if you were just losing weight.

Personally I like the Beachbody products with Tony Horton I've had a lot of success with it they've improved my flexibility and it's something you can do at home if your not comfortable in a gym environment as a beginner. My recommendation would be the new version of his old program P90 it's really good takes about half an hour. The program just doesn't include lifting weights he incorporates yoga moves and some ice some metrics so the results are really accelerated. Good luck in your journey

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    i prefer starting strength over stronglifts, personally, but ymmv. Definitely start now. Also stop worrying so much about *weight* and start paying more attention to measurements, inches, clothes sizes, and how you look and feel. Most people think they want to be much lighter than they really need to be, and would look and feel much better with a bit more muscle and a higher weight.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Lift.
    I once lost over 80 pounds and I basically looked like a smaller variation of myself. A smaller feeble yet chubby version.

Measure LBM and BF%

Scale weight goes slower but damn you will look better & clothes will fit better.

Its difficult to lose weight and gain muscle. Lifting helps you retain your lean body mass.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    juma4474 wrote: »
    Hi,

When I started my weight loss journey I was 258lbs, I'm not 135lbs; my journey started almost a decade ago. My profile picture is my most recent results with the before being January 2016 and the after just a few weeks ago. Check your message inbox, I sent you some more info!

Jes

What are you selling?
  • normalicia11
    normalicia11 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Start now.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yep, start as soon as possible. I started as soon as I started losing weight and it has done wonders for strength and physique.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    What are you waiting for? :D
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The sooner you start, the more muscle you will keep and the better you'll look when you're done. I can't possibly think of a reason to wait. I started day 1 and have lost 140 lbs in nearly 2 years. (I'm not saying my weight loss is all because of strength training, it's due to efforts in many areas.)
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    ps0rijanlli6.jpg
    yes.jpg 17.7K
  • srebal0203
    srebal0203 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding. Com you will find the best programs there check out Jamie Eason her programs on there are great for women and come complete with a meal plan
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    As a beginner lifter, I've loved Strong Curves. the program is for women who want to grow a more curvaceous, lovely booty. I mean, who doesn't want that? I would recommend getting the book (especially if you're a reader) if you're new to weight lifting. He explains a lot of how things work & why he's written the program the way he did.

And just a heads up, your weight loss will probably stall for the first few weeks of the new lifting program. That's OK. It's totally normal. Your body is just going "WTF is this?! Are you trying to KILL me?!" Things will level out over time. Just stick with it. You're in it for the long game.

I would also suggest taking measurements every 3-4 weeks. Sometimes when you're lifting your weight might not be changing, but you are getting physically smaller. And that's truly the point of all this, right?
  • kariplz
    Options
    Huffdogg wrote: »
    i prefer starting strength over stronglifts, personally, but ymmv. Definitely start now. Also stop worrying so much about *weight* and start paying more attention to measurements, inches, clothes sizes, and how you look and feel. Most people think they want to be much lighter than they really need to be, and would look and feel much better with a bit more muscle and a higher weight.

I agree with you. I'm definitely measuring losses as well.. but I don't think any 5'1" person is healthy at 175lbs, I'm looking to just get down to highest portion of a healthy BMI. Nothing drastic. I'm absolutely more concerned about body composition and how I feel rather than the number on scale but I do need to be within a healthy weight range!