Why is Yoga so popular but does not burn many calories???

Options
I went to yoga with my GF last night and it was a killer but when I recorded it it did shows as only burning under 200 cals. What gives????

Replies

• LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    When I record my yoga days, it barely registers as a blip on my exercise log, yet all the muscles in my legs and thighs feel sore. I think it's because your heart rate never gets high enough to be really be considered cardiovascular. Not sure, though, but I'm always bummed when I log an hour and a half of yoga, and all it gives me is a measly 180 calories. I burn more than that vacuuming..
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    This has been my beef with the P90X yoga. At first it burned a lot of calories since it was my first exposure to it but then as I got into the program, I actually added insanity workouts for it and Kenpo because they were not pushing me enough. I did keep the yoga and moved it to Sunday for the stretch.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I went to yoga with my GF last night and it was a killer but when I recorded it it did shows as only burning under 200 cals. What gives????

It's popular because it works your core muscles very hard; improves balance, posture and muscle strength; improves flexibility; is no-impact; and is very relaxing!

As someone else said, since most forms don't raise your heart rate tremendously, it's a fairly low calorie burn for the time invested.
  • hwholland
    hwholland Posts: 6
    Options
    Strength training doesn't burn a lot of calories either, but strength training is the most important type of activity if your goal is to burn fat. In my opinion exercise shouldn't be performed to "burn calories", it should be performed for a purpose (ie: flexbility, strength, speed, etc). Let your diet "burn" off the extra calories, and use exercise to improve performance or physique (depending on your goal).
  • pratkovic
    pratkovic Posts: 55
    Options
    feels like i burned at least 250???
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I only burned about 107 doing 50 minutes last night but it isn't always about burning calories if you want to improve your body.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I only burned about 107 doing 50 minutes last night but it isn't always about burning calories if you want to improve your body.

DITTO
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Your HR is not very high or very constant during yoga so you do not burn nearly as much as you would with another exercise that does a better job at raising the HR
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It's popular because it works your core muscles very hard; improves balance, posture and muscle strength; improves flexibility; is no-impact; and is very relaxing!

AGREE.

As a male who primarily strength trained, my balance and flexibility went to crap. Now that I have the help of a personal trainer, he suggests I partake in yoga to increase both as well as to attain more symmetry in my overall body appearance.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I love yoga because it's giving me the flexibiilty to touch my toes, now that they're visible again. :laugh: But yeah, since I like getting a big number when I'm out to burn calories, I'll add cardio to it as well.
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Try a power class once you get comfortable with it. You can kick it up an other knotch buy getting in one of the heated rooms.
  • jad54
    jad54 Posts: 192
    Options
    Wouldn't worry about it so long as you feel you got a good workout. I went waverunning this past weekend for about an hour and it said I burned over 650 calories. No way that's accurate. I just adjusted it to how many calories seemed reasonable. Some of the exercises and the calories they burn on here aren't very accurate.
  • pratkovic
    pratkovic Posts: 55
    Options
    I agree with allof these replies but I train in taekwondo and get those benefits from that training and stretching. But if I am going to spend 45 minutes in pain I am would rather get more out of it during this period of slimming down.

But yes it is much like stretching for a fight/competition and I enjoyed the feelign afterwards...but guys I have to tell you, yoga is no joke and it works muscles you did not know you had!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I agree with allof these replies but I train in taekwondo and get those benefits from that training and stretching. But if I am going to spend 45 minutes in pain I am would rather get more out of it during this period of slimming down.

But yes it is much like stretching for a fight/competition and I enjoyed the feelign afterwards...but guys I have to tell you, yoga is no joke and it works muscles you did not know you had!

But nobody can hit it hard, 100% every single day forever. You need those 'rest' days as well. I consider yoga an 'active rest' day in my exercise plan.
  • Aviadele
    Aviadele Posts: 6
    Options
    I love love love hot yoga and it is one of the few 'exercises' that I can do at the moment but I also know that it is not going to be a big calorie burner for me. I ride my bike to the studio for that! I go yoga, in part for the stretching and flexibility training, for the heat and breath training but more for the stress busting, peace and quiet that is never a part of my daily life as a child care provider.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    First off, I love yoga. I practice 6 days a week. No, it doesn't burn that many calories. Most yogis will tell you, it's not about exercise either, though that can be a benefit.

For me, the main benefit of yoga is the awareness/mindfulness I have in other parts of my life.

I care more about how the food I put into my body makes me feel, for example. I'm also more aware when I'm feeling stressed and shoving food in my body to ease the stress. Not everything has to be about calorie burn.

My thought on exercise and yoga? If you enjoy it, do it. If not, find something else. Stop obsessing.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I love yoga

Cause i can scratch any part of my back when its itchy.

It has improved my posture, breathing and mind.

Its not really about calories burnt, but depending on what it is, you are using your body as resistance.
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I love my yoga/pilates workouts - they are great for toning and stretching your muscles! You don't burn very many calories because it is so low intensity, but you pretty much spend the entire workout in the "fat burning zone." So there's a tradeoff...

I wouldn't not do it because of the low calories burned...I think the benefits far outweigh the low calorie burn!
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Woohoo for taekwondo!

Interestingly, my school recommends supplementing with yoga and running...running for cardio, yoga for core strength & flexibility during the off days. The Grandmaster believes that yoga can help prevent injuries. Makes sense to me.