Getting rid of large clothes with an emotional attachment to them? (Kind of a sad post)

Options
So I'm going to be moving in a couple of months and desperately need to go through my closet and start getting rid of / donating clothes that are too big or I don't need. Usually that's can be a pretty emotional endeavor on my own, but this is a little different for me and I'm not sure what to think / how to go about it.

So my sister passed away tragically a couple of years ago at age 30. She was my only sibling and I miss her terribly. While going through her house to sort through her things after it happened, I took a lot of her clothes because I was in need of a wardrobe that actually fit me at my heaviest weight, especially professional clothing. She had great quality clothing in all sizes and had excellent fashion taste, and I liked the idea of wearing things of hers all the time. Most of my wardrobe at my highest weight was from her, since I very rarely would buy things for myself.

The fact that I can't fit in those clothes anymore is really bittersweet. I'm happy to be losing weight, but I'm sad I can't wear them. I know that I can't reasonably keep all of it, but I'm just not sure how to let go.

Any ideas or encouragement would be greatly appreciated! I hope I didn't depress anyone too much.

Replies

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you lost your sister. That is sad.

Do you have a favorite? Is there a sweater that you can wear with leggings or a belt?

If it were me, I would keep your favorite and get rid of or donate the rest. Keep something to hang in the closet that reminds you of her. Try to feel good that someone will be grateful to find nice clothes in their size.

I think keeping bigger sizes is a mistake. Easy to let weight creep up. Even easier if you have bigger clothes readily available.

You should feel good about being smaller!
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to, I've heard of people making quilts out of a loved ones clothes? This might not be the best advice but I know I wish I had some of my dads things so I could make something or have something.

I forgot about memory quilts. There are many options online for those. I think that's a great idea.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that when you donate clothes, someone perhaps less fortunate will make good use of them.
  • shanna_wainwright
    shanna_wainwright Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You could donate her clothes to a woman's shelter, or a domestic violence shelter. Then she would be helping others in their time of need and you could find comfort in knowing someone else is benefitting from your sisters kindness. A memory quilt is a great idea too- but only if it will bring you joy when you see it. Your sister wouldn't want you to be sad every time you thought of her.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for the loss of your sister. I would suggest choosing a few pieces that you are particularly attached to and get those tailored.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    I'm sorry for the loss of your sister. I would suggest choosing a few pieces that you are particularly attached to and get those tailored.

My advice as well. And donate the rest to a really, really good cause so you that you know it's a wonderful thing you have done. Dress For Success is a wonderful charity that provides clothing for job interviews and work to homeless and extremely poor women.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost a sibling too and know how painful this can be.
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

Dependant on how much bigger the clothes are to your current size, tailoring them is a really good idea.

I know what you mean about emotional attachment to clothes. I lost someone very close to me just under two months ago, and silly little things like clothes were the hardest things to get rid of because it's like removing that person from your life. If you can't tailor the clothes, why not pick a particular outfit that means the most to you and pop it in a memory box. Another idea is making something like a time capsule of all her memories and burying it in your garden...Someone suggested this to me, I couldn't do it because I live in a flat so have no garden, but I can understand why...it's like putting to her to rest and one day, someone may come across the capsule and will know someone special was once there.

Material items will fade/break in time, but your memories will never die. You don't need to keep her entire wardrobe to remember the love and warmth she brought to your life. Anything left, you could donate and you'd be helping someone else less fortunate than you.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. Don't forget they're just clothes. If your sister was here I'm sure she'd say congrats on your weight loss, now donate my old clothes! You can't use them anymore, but someone out there sure can. Donate them so someone else can benefit from them.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    OP you had great answers already so I only want to add that, sometimes we need to let go of our love ones possessions and just keep the sweet memories of their lives in our hearts and minds. Maybe this move and the decision of what to do with your sister's clothes is a way to get over or grief of two years.

Your sister's clothing "helped" you when you were heavier and needed business clothing to wear; now that you are thinner, the job is done. Your sister is resting in peace knowing that she was there for you when you needed her. Time for you to move on and let your sister help somebody else in need.

Very sorry for your loss <3 .
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to, I've heard of people making quilts out of a loved ones clothes? This might not be the best advice but I know I wish I had some of my dads things so I could make something or have something.

This.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    skinnybythanksgiving Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    A good suggestion The Minimalists make is to take pictures of your loved one's belongings. Here are two short articles. I hope they help.

http://www.theminimalists.com/sentimental/
    http://www.theminimalists.com/dealing/
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your kind words and great suggestions! There are so many lovely people on MFP. I think some of the words helped just as much (if not more) than the ideas. I think I have a better direction of how I am going to approach this now. I'll consider the quilt idea, and keep some of the items that have more meaning to me, and absolutely donate the rest. The tailoring idea made me think that maybe I'll keep a dress or two and use the material for a new outfit when I lose a bit more weight- I know you can only take things in only so many sizes, and I like to sew so it would be a good project for me.
    Thank you again everyone!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Donate them to a women's shelter or a program for women leaving domestic violence-- they are usually in (dire) need of professional clothing for job interviews, etc.

Remember how happy your sister would be in your current success, and take her spirit with you for inspiration as you buy your future wardrobe!
  • Namaste_Heart11
    Namaste_Heart11 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I cannot begin to imagine how difficult it must be to try to decide what to do with your sister's now too big clothes... I am so sorry for your loss, and my heart goes out to you <3 I would offer to you this: The pieces of clothing are pieces of times past... I wonder what your sister would say to you regarding this? Would she want you to keep and wear the clothing, or would she want to see you excitedly smiling and rocking a new, fitting wardrobe? I love the suggestions others have made... donate the items with which you can part (your sister will make someone else smile gratefully!), and perhaps consider a memory quilt made from those articles which you want to keep. Your sister lives in your heart and memories, not in your closet <3 I wish you light, love, & peace in the coming days as you make these hard decisions.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you lost your sister. She would be proud of your weight loss success and tell you to give the clothes to someone who needs them.
  • lillivewire87
    lillivewire87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What about taking some of your favorite pieces to a taylor and see if they can be taken in? Often times it is not very expensive. You get to keep your favorite ones, and they fit to boot!

Otherwise the quilt idea is great. My dad was a marathon runner and my mom had a quilt made out of all his marathon T-shirts for him.