Weight 1 kg more during period

Options
hi
I am going crazy. I have exercising a lot and started adding tony schedule TRX in addition to running and spinning.

I was down to 65.9kg and had also my period this week. 3 days into my period I figured I can qeight myself and see a good number for water fluctuation.

I was so upset to see that I put on 1 kg!! Now back at 66.8 kg so I am really frustrated.

I am now thinking of reducing carbs to loose weight. Not sure why this is happening.

Gaelle

Replies

• valerieuk1708
    valerieuk1708 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    It's totally normal to have put few lbs during your time of the month, it could be water retention.
    Don't beat yourself up and carry on doing good job and you will see weight shift.

If you still eat within your set calories there is nothing to worry about!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Its completely normal to get weight fluctuations when you are on your period, AND from a day to day basis. Yesterday I weighed 268.6 after dinner. This morning I weighed 267.6....Tonight I weigh 268 lol Completely normal.
  • talgaelle
    talgaelle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers!

It is really difficult to keep the motivation high...
    I hope this is only water retention and not weight I put on.

Let s see what will happen in the next few days.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    1kg = 7700cal. Did you eat that much over? Then it is water :)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    only 1kg, you're lucky haha! ;) I tend to gain as much as 5 lbs in the week before, but always end the cycle with a net loss.
  • ldelgad62
    ldelgad62 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    only 1kg, you're lucky haha! ;) I tend to gain as much as 5 lbs in the week before, but always end the cycle with a net loss.

Same here haha
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Completely normal, I 'gain' around 1kg during TOM, it lasts for up to 7 days.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    This is totally normal. Water fluctuates all the time. You can have it from TOM, from a high sodium day and from exercise. It helps if you look at your weight loss trend rather than worrying about each weigh in. You may be up today, but as long as your weight is trending down then it is just water weight masking your fat loss.
  • talgaelle
    Options
    I thought that 3 days after receiving my period started... the water is actually gone...

Just very frustrating. it feels like I am trying and trying and nothing is happening.

I will hold off and see what happens. Just needs to stay away from carbs...
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I refuse to weigh myself a week before my period and during because it's very discouraging, I've gained upto 7lbs of water during those weeks. It always goes back down a few days after my period has ended.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I avoid the scale a few days before and after because of how much water weight I hold on to
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    talgaelle wrote: »
    I thought that 3 days after receiving my period started... the water is actually gone...

Just very frustrating. it feels like I am trying and trying and nothing is happening.

I will hold off and see what happens. Just needs to stay away from carbs...

It has nothing to do with carbs. Carb calories count just as much as any other calories. Stay on track and you should probably stick to weighing once per week.
  • talgaelle
    Options
    Back to origina weight !!7 days after period started ...

Thank god!

:smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    talgaelle wrote: »
    hi
    I am going crazy. I have exercising a lot and started adding tony schedule TRX in addition to running and spinning.

I was down to 65.9kg and had also my period this week. 3 days into my period I figured I can qeight myself and see a good number for water fluctuation.

I was so upset to see that I put on 1 kg!! Now back at 66.8 kg so I am really frustrated.

I am now thinking of reducing carbs to loose weight. Not sure why this is happening.

Gaelle

Normal.

Try not to stress over it, and I suggest you do not weigh yourself during your period, especially since it has upset you so greatly.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yup. Was 148.8 yesterday morning, today I'm 153.6. By Monday I'll be 148.5 or less, I can pretty much guaranty. The more you track the fluctuations and understand how your body copes, the less that water weight will bother you. :)
  • elisabethkerry
    elisabethkerry Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is so reassuring - I've gained 2 lbs this week despite being really good all week and doing lots of exercise. I'm due on tomorrow so maybe that explains it!
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    That water retention used to be a killer to my motivation (I didn't used to know it was water retention).
    Then I learned to recognize when it happens and it's so much easier to deal with it and stay on track.

It's my time of the month and even though I am confident I have not deviated from my caloric intake goals of the week, the scale definitely weighed me in heavier today. It's water (I feel bloated and gross), and it will go away.

It always helps to ask yourself "is it possible that I ate 3,500 calories above maintenance per pound I recently gained?" If the answer is no, then it's something else- the time of the month, change in exercise regimen, excess salt intake... I can always pinpoint a cause now. When I look at the big picture, I see that I'm losing weight steadily at the rate I wanted to go at.

Don't give up!!
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    As everyone said, normal. Not to worry. For what it's worth, this is my chart for the past 90 days. I've been on maintenance since November, and gave myself a goal range of 140 to 145 lbs.
    kdodnhpowter.png