Personal Trainer Freak-Out

Options
2»

Replies

• dancinon2
    dancinon2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever post but I wanted to let you know that I was EXACTLY where you were 18 months ago. I did get a PT and it was one of the best decisions I ever made….definitely get one! Try several out before committing to an extended agreement with any particular one. If your gym offers classes, sign up for a few to try out the different trainers' styles. You will need to find one that you click with. There will be so many days when you doubt yourself and want to give up. If you can find a trainer who truly believes in you so much that you actually believe in you too, it will really help you keep your motivation during those rough days and weeks of plateaus - we all have them.

As far as being asked to do exercises you aren’t comfortable doing – yes they will ask you to do some pretty awkward feeling moves. You can pretty much modify just about any exercise to do in a way that you feel comfortable with to start out and progress from there. We all have our limitations physical and mental and a good trainer won’t judge you and will help you challenge yourself safely and consistently. There is nothing like a PT for accountability. I had a lot of success when I had a personal trainer -I hope you choose to do it and find it beneficial too!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Is there a tv crew following you around? If not, your trainer probably isn't going to yell at you. A good trainer knows his/her client and acts accordingly. My trainer is a very encouraging sweetie who kicks my *kitten* but in a very motivating way. Now in his sessions with just my son I hear there's a lot of different kind of talk going on - words he's definitely not saying to me. And that works great for him.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    You mentioned you are counting calories. Have you entered your weight goal, activity level etc. into MFP and are you weighing your food and logging everything you eat? If you do that and are in a calorie deficit, and you stick to it, I don't see uow you could be going up and down so much.

Exercise can burn off calories, but it's bonus in terms if losing weight. The real work comes in what you eat and keeping track of it.

That said, exercising for better strength and fitness is a great idea.

Giod luck!
    I came in to say just this. Try weighing all the foods (solids and semi solids) that you eat and only use measuring spoons for actual liquids...oh, and choose food database entries that reflect the information on the packaging of your food, too.. Weight loss is all about calories.

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I've had several personal trainers at various gyms and never gotten yelled at. They may have asked me to do things I disliked but that's why I was there. It made me go to the gym and it made me work harder when I had a trainer. I complained a LOT mostly just to get a laugh, but I learned how to work out correctly and saw a lot of improvement while I was with each of them. They are there to help. Your success is their success. Go for it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Maybe don't form you're opinions about other people based on what you see on TV
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't fear the thought of trying a PT at least. They have seen many people at their worst and have helped most of them make it to their best. Do some research of PT in your area and try to find one that you'll be most comfortable with.
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to worry about a drill Sargent type pt. However for weight loss you're going to need to have the calorie piece in place otherwise it's kind of a waste of money IMO. maybe aim for being consistent , no "cheat days", and logging everthing for 30-90 days and once that habit is in place it may make sense to take the next step and work with a trainer.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I got a personal trainer about 6 months into my weight loss journey. I was slowly losing weight but felt I could make my efforts more efficient. I knew that weight lifting would add another dimension to my weight loss but was hesitant to do it on my own, particularly because I was just 2 years past recovering from breaking my kneecap in several pieces.

Flash forward 2 years to today and I am still with the trainer. Like another person said, a trainer will push you a little farther than you likely would on your own. Plus, they will make sure your form is correct. I have not had a single injury in the 2 years I have worked with my trainer. My trainer, after about 2 months, got a good idea of "who" I was, "why" I was doing this AND took into account my knee and other health issues and adapted things that would best fit me.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Only Jillian from Biggest Loser really yells at her clients. I've had several and none of them have ever yelled at me. I'm sure they wanted to continue getting a pay check. They win if you win, remember?