Thyroidectomy

Options
When I was 19years only I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I had treatment and a complete thyroid removal. Since then (I'm about 5years on now) I have battled with my weight non stop. I have gained at least 5/6stone
All my levels of medication are correct I have had these checked numerous times! U tried sliming world as part of docs recommendation and found the results poor.I am aware my metabolism will be slower, I stick to MFP and Fitbit recommendations (about 1200 cals per day) and exercise 3/4times per week ie spinning, Zumba, legs bums and tums and general cardio in the gym. Any ideas to help a lady in need ??

Replies

• BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Are you also eating calories from exercise? If so, you may be having MFP estimate your exercise (by being set as anything other than sedentary) and having Fitbit auto sync and therefore add the calories in a second time. It's a very common occurrence and I always recommend people set their MFP to sedentary or light (light if you're on your feet all day at work) and manually log all exercise to have a more accurate reading on your calorie needs.

Also, 1,200 is the safe minimum. However, from what I've read (if someone has more accurate information, please correct me and share) your calorie level may be *below* 1,200 - which means that although you don't want to go under 1,200c per day, if you exercise, you won't log the full calorie count.

Example: Jenny's calorie amount to keep her at maintenance is 1,200c. Since that's the base minimum, that's also what it is for her to lose weight, even though she *should* have a 300c/lb deficit (which would put her at an unsafe 900c).

When Jenny exercises, she generally burns 450c and it gets logged in MFP, showing she now has 1,650c to eat. In reality, if Jenny wants to lose a pound a week, she actually needs 1,350c. If she wanted to lose two pounds per week, she'd have to exercise more, as an addition -300c would drop her below the 1,200c minimum requirement.

It's some confusing math and I don't fully understand it myself, but that's what I've read from others in similar *low* calorie situations and hopefully I've conveyed it accurately to you.

My final recommendation would be to take my horribly mishmoshed explanation over to your doctor and ask them their opinion on what you should be doing. Show them MFP, the Fitbit and either have them help you or have them direct you to someone who's an expert in diet restrictions for those with your condition.

Hope this all helps, cheers!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Track your intake. Religiously. Weigh everything. Track tea and crystal light and celery.

To make life easier, maybe set your goal calorie intake to your TDEE without added extra exercise, and just eat that flat amount every day. Then after 4 weeks if you haven't lost weight as expected, lower it by 100-200. Repeat these steps until you are losing.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi Laura. I had a total thyroidectomy & radiation for thyroid cancer 4 years ago. I have always been overweight, and after thyroid cancer I gained even more. I also felt terrible- fatigue, fuzzy headed, etc. My endocrinologist also said I was normal & fine, but with how awful I felt I knew that couldn't be true.

Once I found an endocrinologist who would test my Free T3, everything got better. It turns out I wasn't converting T4 (the medication I'm sure you take) into T3 (the active thyroid hormone) properly. Now I take both T4 (levothyroxine) & T3 (liiothyronine, brand name Cytomel). I feel so much better! And I've now lost all my thyroid cancer weight plus a bunch more using MFP. My metabolism is now quite normal & I'm losing weight eating a normal amount of calories for my size.

Because you used "stone" to describe your weight, I'm guessing you're in the UK. I understand that it can be even more of a struggle there to find a doctor who will test your Free T3 than it is here in the USA. My sympathies.

I'd highly recommend this support group for thyroid cancer- you can learn a lot about post ThyCa hormone management here:
    https://www.inspire.com/groups/thyca-thyroid-cancer-survivors-association/
    If you post your question there, along with your most recent bloodwork results, you'll get great support & advice.

Hang in there and good luck!