Toning up instead of losing weight?

Options
violetpurdy
violetpurdy Posts: 39 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm very thankful that you guys on here were so supportive and helpful with my last question about losing weight. I've decided to maintain now because of it. I just have a few exercise related questions now:

For starters, is it possible to tone up my arms without losing any more weight in them? I'm 110lbs and 5'3 (19 years old if that helps too), so I'm at the low end of a healthy BMI. My family doesn't want me to lose any more weight, but I can feel a tiny bit of flab on my arms still. Can I achieve slimmer arms without losing any more weight through strength training instead? Like push ups, weights, etc.?

I also don't like the "armpit fat" that I have. I attached a picture of that region of my arms. Do you think with that amount, simply toning up vs. losing more weight could work?

In the past, I always read online that you had to be losing weight or else you just get muscle under fat, is that still the case while at a healthy weight?

I'm taking a break from exercising this week due to stress, however, next week I was thinking of something like this: 3 days of cardio (probably 40-60 minute outdoor walk), 3 days of strength training, and one rest day. I'm currently eating at 1700 calories, which MFP says is maintaining my weight for slightly active.

I guess my general question would be is it possible for me to have less 'flab' around my arm area by using maintenance calories, light cardio, and strength training?

Any tips? Thank you! :)9irx9vzaokpd.jpeg

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You can, however, do a body recomposition (what you're suggesting...eating at maintenance and lifting heavy) to reduce body fat from all over.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Lifting will reduce body fat, don't be scared of the lifting! I'd almost say that's more important than cardio at the moment. You won't get bulky but a little definition is so much more physically appealing than a bone with skin on it.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Yes. And push-ups are a great all around upper body muscle builder. But I'm doing just what you're doing. I did body weight exercising, push ups, burpees, planks, squats etc, for almost a year and it does tighten up that area. I'm now graduating to Dumbbells. Good luck, you are doing great, and it's already a pretty arm to start with.
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy you responded positively to everyone's responses on your last post!!! Couple of things - make sure your bra is fitting correctly because that may cause what you dislike. I agree with what other people said - eat more and lift heavy. Try seeing a trainer and see how they might help you build some muscle!
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose body fat as you maintain weight. The key is to establish an intense strength training program. If you work HARD and eat to maintain weight, you'll get leaner over time as you build muscle and reduce body fat!