olivia method????

Options
i have been searching through some older posts and came across the "olivia method" and am curious to hear from people that set up there mfp profile this way. do you find this method to be successful? are you still losing weight while eating closer to your maintenance calories? i am going to start this method tomorrow i think and give it a shot for a couple of weeks. i had stalled on my weight loss and think it was because i was eating too few calories so i have been trying to up them and so far it seems to work. just curious on some feed back from those that have been using this method for a while.

thanks!

Replies

• markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i know this is old, but thought it was worth bumping. this is how i lost all my weight last time, and now that i'm back, i am doing it again and it's working incredibly well for me. just thought i would bump-it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/408674
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I just read the post by Olivia. Good lord! Made my eyes cross.

Just eat your food and follow the MFP recommendations. That's why you joined, isn't it? You don't have to play games with numbers or cut out food groups or starve yourself to lose weight. Just trust the program.
  • nikesandglitter
    nikesandglitter Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I might need to read it again to fully understand, however..
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    i know this is old, but thought it was worth bumping. this is how i lost all my weight last time, and now that i'm back, i am doing it again and it's working incredibly well for me. just thought i would bump-it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/408674

I got a really bad anxiety attach reading the link....really, I did, because it sounds so complicated. : :*

I suggest you set your goals up however you choose to, stick to your calorie deficit, eat less than your burn using whatever method works for you and you will lose weight. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm going to invent an arbitrary, complicated plan, lose weight on it because it happens to also involve a calorie deficit and name it after myself too. Everyone deserves their 15 minutes of fame.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Can you follow this "method" for the rest of your life?

It's not complicated. Stick to the calorie goal given. Eat. Learn. Lose. Live.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Um, but if you're back, then it didn't really work, did it?

Sadly - very true
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Well that made my brain squeak
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I couldn't really make sense of what she was trying to say, the whole post seemed needlessly complicated - is she suggesting spreading your exercise calories out over the whole week, rather than eating them all back on the day of your workout?
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    The way she's written it does make it seem more complicated that it needs to be. Basically it looks like she's saying instead of setting a deficit calorie goal, you just set your goal calories at maintenance. That way when you look at your diary the 'green number' shows your daily deficit and when you look at your weekly calories it would show your weekly deficit. I guess could work ok for people who are cool with not always sticking to the same deficit or losing at the same rate on a week by week basis but who still want to be able to predict their progress?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    K.I.S.S.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The way she's written it does make it seem more complicated that it needs to be. Basically it looks like she's saying instead of setting a deficit calorie goal, you just set your goal calories at maintenance. That way when you look at your diary the 'green number' shows your daily deficit and when you look at your weekly calories it would show your weekly deficit. I guess could work ok for people who are cool with not always sticking to the same deficit or losing at the same rate on a week by week basis but who still want to be able to predict their progress?

That's what I got from it too. It's just another option of how to do it and gives you a bit more control of your deficit in a sense. I don't know why everyone seems so confused by it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    Um, but if you're back, then it didn't really work, did it?

Sadly - very true
    True, granted... we see daily restarters here as well.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

So basically like fat2fit suggests.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I read it and broke it down. What she's basically advocating is using the green "left over" numbers as a motivator.

I reset mine just to see what it would look like, and it's basically the same number I already had set myself for - a daily calorie intake of about 1,500.

I may do it for a while just for S's and G's, but there's no real reason for it, unless it motivates you.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    there's no real reason for it, unless it motivates you.

I think this is a great point. What motives me may look silly to others, and vice versa. Me--I'm a more keep it simple sweetheart kind of person, and I work hard to keep things as uncomplicated as possible. :)