Treadmill

Options
alright so does anyone have this problem...
I was on the treadmill today.. ran close to 3 miles in 30 minutes and it said I only burnt 205 calories.
I am 5'2 and weigh 114 pounds. Does that sound right? When I go for the same amount on the elleptical itsays I burn like 345 cals.
Now im confused

Replies

• KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    Options
    alright so does anyone have this problem...
    I was on the treadmill today.. ran close to 3 miles in 30 minutes and it said I only burnt 205 calories.
    I am 5'2 and weigh 114 pounds. Does that sound right? When I go for the same amount on the elleptical itsays I burn like 345 cals.
    Now im confused
  • KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    Options
    oh and I was running at a speed of 5.2-5.5
  • WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    U SHOULD HAVE BURNED MORE CALORIES SOMETHING SEEMS WRONG
  • amandaghunt
    Options
    I never pay attention to the treadmill calorie count. For my weight I burn a little less then 100 calories per mile (speed doesn't matter milage does for calorie count). I may be a little biased as a runner, but I have serious doubts that an elliptical machine burns more than runner. I would say you burned around 300 calories- but you can figure that out on the exercise portion of this site.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds about right. Ellipticals burn more calories than jogging. You work more/different muscles than jogging alone.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    imho, I would say that the fact you were running 3 miles in 30 minutes means you weren't doing an easy jog and should have burned more calories...do you have a heart rate monitor? Sometimes the machines aren't entirely accurate...also I echo what has already been said..check out the exercise part of this site also.
    Cheers,
    A.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I unplugged the readings on my tread for the calorie count. They never read right and I got too depressed to use it, now I just judge my distance and time. Works better for me now.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, MFP does have running at 5.2 mph and it gives a decently accurate count for me, although I trust my heart rate monitor first, of course. If you run a lot, I would suggest looking into getting a HRM - I love my polar F6, I never worry about accuracy anymore. Just my two cents! And kudos on your run, btw. :drinker: