If you drop an egg...

Options
(I posted this on my blog but thought I'd repeat it here...)

Hello Friends!

In order to be successful with my weight loss I've been reading other blogs, websites, message boards... anything I can get my hands on for weight loss support. I've noticed a "flavor" of some posts that I've seen over and over again, and I want to give you my take on it.

A lot of folks will post something like this... "Well what a rough day I had yesterday, it started with the Krispy Kreme donuts at work and I just couldnt resist so I thought, OK, I'll just have one. Well, 5 glazed donuts later I figured I'd just ditch the day and eat like a pig - 6 slices of pizza at lunch, some chili-cheese fries at the drive through on the way home, then a bucket of chicken for dinner, skin on of course! Then the whole family went out for Triple Scoop Banana Splits - at least there was fruit in there, ha ha ha! OH WELL... I'll just start again tomorrow... Damn that Krispy Kreme!"

Well, here's what I want you to think about the next time you are having this kind of day. Let's say you just got home from grocery shopping and you are putting away a dozen eggs. You have a special fridge container for 'em so you are taking 'em out of their carton and putting them into the container one at a time. YOU DROP THE FIRST ONE.... SPLATTTT it goes on the kitchen floor! Oh man, you just dropped an egg! One egg! OK, well, might as well ditch the rest of em, I mean, you already dropped ONE so why bother putting the rest carefully away, right? Instead, I want you to take the rest of the eggs, one or two or 6 at a time and SLAM 'EM DOWN TO YOUR KITCHEN FLOOR! SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLATTTTT!!!!! MIght as well, right? I mean, you've already blown your day by dropping one, might as well destroy the rest 'cause you can always get another dozen tomorrow!

How does this relate to your healthy eating and weight loss goals? The PRIMARY GOAL each and EVERY day is to NEVER START with giving in to tempting foods, right? Of course it is! But every once in a while, EVERYONE HERE will eat something they will regret later. So, next time this happens to you, the next time you "drop an egg", PLEASE treat the rest of the eggs carefully and get them safely in the fridge. Meaning, treat the rest of your day carefully and get back on track with your NEXT MEAL, DON'T wait for the next day or the next week!

Onward and downward,

Ice

Replies

• candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Throwing eggs on the floor is less fun than stuffing my face with chocolate cake though :(
    ...well, maybe...
    actually. Now I think of it, it could be kind of fun.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Eggs are expensive. Especially the organic ones, I think I would cry if I dropped one. What!? It's not milk, I can cry...
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! And such a great way to look at things. Thanks SO MUCH for sharing this bit of wisdom. I LOVE it :happy:
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness that's a good way of looking at it.

I personally just try to think of the exercise I'm going to have to do to burn off what I just ate. That's enough to get me to stop.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Good point. I'm guilty of egg smashing - on occasion - for sure!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Great way of looking at it!
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I totally agree! I have friends who say this a lot.... In my head I am thinking keep telling yourself that because you will never get off this roller coaster ride if you continue this path! Great analogy!
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    like you thinking.haha
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Love the post, but will have to work hard to control myself if I ever drop an egg!:wink::laugh:
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Great post and great way to look at it!
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options

I personally just try to think of the exercise I'm going to have to do to burn off what I just ate. That's enough to get me to stop.

This is EXACTLY what I do.

"One donut...that's about an hour on the treadmill...nope, not worth it."
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    What a great way of looking at it! I 100% agree!
  • symphonika
    symphonika Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    very interesting, but helpful way of looking at it!
  • Akamommy1975
    Options
    I think this is a great way to look at the occasional slip up. Thanks for that!
  • jenvens
    jenvens Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I like your thinking! I am going to live by your philosophy...and btw it's HELL trying to clean up an egg!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    great analogy! Thanks!
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

This is EXACTLY what I do.

"One donut...that's about an hour on the treadmill...nope, not worth it."

I also agree with this! It really puts 'treats' in perspective. Running for an hour to burn off a 'treat' is NOT a treat for me lol
  • tludare
    tludare Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love that! Seriously when will MFP get a "like" button :)
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    That can carry over into a lot of areas in life and none of them are good:

1.) Oh well, I've had one drink, I might as well have the rest of the bottle.
    2.) Oh well, I already cheated on my spouse once, it won't hurt to do it again.
    3.) Oh well, I didn't file my taxes last year, I suppose it won't matter if I do it this year.

Bottom line is, life is full of twists and turns, always right the ship and get back on track.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Love the analogy. I'm definitely of the non-smashing school of thought, these days. I've gotten pretty good at damage control. Funnily enough, part of that included Krispy Kreme donuts at work, the other day...