bodybugg

Options
Anyone use a bodybugg? Is it complicated? I'm not very technologically or computer savvy! Do you use it with MFP? Is the calorie counting program similar to MFP? Or do you just use it for tracking calories burned? Is it worth the money or maybe just get a regular calorie counting watch? SO many questions thanks in advance.

Replies

• piercethecat
    piercethecat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband and I returned ours on monday.....really unsatisfied!!!!
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    My husband and I returned ours on monday.....really unsatisfied!!!!
    Can you give some details as to why you're unsatisfied? I'm curious because I've had one for 2 years and haven't had any problems. I use MFP to count the calories I eat, but download my calories burned on the body bugg website. This is because I can't access body bugg from work. The downside of body bugg is there's a subscription fee. The first 6 months are free, but after that you pay by the month, bi-yearly or yearly. I've been lucky enough to renew my subscription whenever they're having a special deals.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mine. Got it used on eBay for under $50. But I don't use their website for anything except downloading the data... and won't even use that after my 3 month subscription runs out (Free the Bugg!)

I use MFP to calculate calories consumed and to track macros/micros. I use the BodyBugg to get my calories burned info. Then I plug all my information into an Excel spreadsheet to get my pretty graphs.

But I love love LOVE having the calories burned information from the Bugg, because it varies so much from day to day even without exercise.
  • Jelybe
    Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Is this comparable to leaving your heart rate monitor on all day? Would the information obtained be the same?
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I know I sure want one!! I'm affraid to buy a used one thos and aed up with a deffective one ..... I'm just searching around for a great deal on a new one. There are SO MANY kinds now too! The Bodymedia Fit, the FitBit, the ExerSpy, the MyTrak..... Lots of researching to find the best one...
  • baisleac
    Options
    Is this comparable to leaving your heart rate monitor on all day? Would the information obtained be the same?

No. Wearing your HRM all day will give you an incredibly inaccurate number. They're designed for cardio activity only.

From: http://www.adowp.com/shopping-and-services/personal-care/how-does-the-bodybugg-work/

The BodyBugg by Apex Fitness [also the BodyMedia Fit, made by the same manufacturer) is a fantastic little device, but very few people, even out of those who use it, truly know how it works. The device seems so small and insignificant, but if you were to take a look inside, you would see that there is quite a bit going on in there.

The BodyBugg works by recording several different things about your body throughout the day. The first thing that is tracked is motion. The BodyBugg comes equipped with an accelerometer, which essentially measures motion. The device is designed to gather information from multiple perspectives in order to fully understand your movement.

The BodyBugg also records and analyzes your step count. This is an easy thing to do compared to recording motion, but a step count is still very helpful in determining your calorie burn. Using your body weight, height, age, mass index, and a number of other characteristics, the device can actually work an accurate estimation of calories burned per step.

The BodyBugg armband also records Galvanic skin response. If you have no idea what that means, don’t worry – most people don’t. To put it in simple terms, the device measures the change in electrical conductivity in your skin. Your skin becomes more electrically conductive as it sweats, so this is just another way of measuring activity.

The device also records and analyzes the temperature of your skin. This is a very basic way to determine your recent activity, but it helps the BodyBugg analyze your fitness level. It also measures something called “heat flux”, which basically measures the heat coming from your muscles producing energy.

And finally, the BodyBugg automatically combines the results from all the aforementioned sensors, and analyzes them. The actual process is copyrighted, and therefore I cannot tell you exactly how it works, but it is proven to be extremely accurate.
  • Jelybe
    Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Thanks for the info. :flowerforyou:
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    What happens if you end up burning more than you planned for the day? Do you eat the excess calories the next day?
  • baisleac
    Options
    What happens if you end up burning more than you planned for the day? Do you eat the excess calories the next day?

It would depend on how big the deficit is... and how long you've been using it.

If it's a big deficit and there's no way to eat it today, I'd add it to the next day. If it's a small one, probably not.

On the other hand, you get used to what's "normal".

Examples:

1) I get home from work on a non-exercise day. The BodyBugg number matches my planned calories for the day. I'm good to go. My normal evening will burn the calories needed for a 400-500 calorie deficit.

2) I get home from work on an exercise day. The BodyBugg number is higher than my planned calories for the day and I haven't even exercised yet. I know I'm going to need to add calories to dinner/dessert to come out with a good balance.

3) I get home from work and the BodyBugg shows that I was REALLY sedentary at work and my plan for the day is going to put me "over" calories. I can either remove something from my plan or add some extra exercise.

For what it's worth: On an average day I burn 1800-2000 calories. When I get home at 5:00pm, the BodyBugg normally shows I've burned 1400-1450 calories up to that time.