30 days no caffeine

Options
mrschappet
mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
Its 10:30am and I am already dragging... I could totally go for a nap right now... how long until I will be able to get some energy without needing coffee or an energy drink??? I'm only on day 3 of this challenge and I am wondering if it is worth it.... I have 3 kids to run after and I have no energy :-/

Replies

• dont_u_mean_carrots
    Options
    Keep up the good work! 3 days are hard, but quitting now should not be an option!
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    Hey---you can do it! Keep on keepin' on...........
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I think I went off caffeine almost exactly a month ago. I dragged quite a bit for 2 weeks. Now I feel great. Drink lots of water and do something active - even though you feel tired it will wake your body up.
  • smumma4
    smumma4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had to quit caffeine cold turkey about 3 years ago due to health reasons. I had horrible headaches for a week but after that it got alot easier. I was extremely tired that week to. However, now I don't even notice a difference, but I do need a little more sleep then I used to. If you can make it through the first week then you will be fine :)
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Stretch and make sure you get up and move. Drink lots of water. Water gives you energy and it also makes you get up and walk to the bathroom more often. Make sure you're snacking. You're a brave soul. I could never go w/o my coffee right now.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Wait.. why do people go on no caffeine diets? (I was just wondering the reason)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Have you tried green tea?
  • lawilliamsva
    Options
    I have been trying to cut Pepsi out of my diet for a month & have finally decided that I can do this!! And I know you can too! The first week or so will be the worst for feeling lathargic as well as headaches. It will get rapidly better after that. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and to also keep you energy levels up. Good luck!
  • mrschappet
    Options
    you guys are all awesome... I love the support and encouragement!!! Off to the park we go (walking!!!)... its kinda cloudy out but oh well ... It should help me wake up and the kids will love it anyway :-)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Unless caffeine makes you "jittery or sick", there is no problem with drinking a cup of coffee or tea or even a diet soda per day. I would think of the 3 things I mentioned, diet soda, with or without caffeine is the worst for us to drink for many reasons.

Caffeine occurs in a LOT of foods naturally, such as cocoa, all teas (except herbally made.)
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It gets easier, I promise! Hang in there.

I can only speak for myself, but I gave up caffeine because my caffeine was coming from pop, and thats something I don't need. And honestly I don't want to have to rely on something to give me enough energy to get through the day.
  • Huskeryogi
    Options

I didn't like getting headaches on days where I didn't have caffeine and decided it was just easier to get off of it all together - except chocolate :)
  • mrschappet
    Options

I didn't like getting headaches on days where I didn't have caffeine and decided it was just easier to get off of it all together - except chocolate :)

I don't like being dependent on it to keep my energized.... and I know that my body will be better off without it :-)
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    This is true... I don't feel like I'm addicted to it yet because I don't freak out when I have my coffee..

But since I work at a coffee company I do drink a ton of coffee and even more caffeine than the average person at times. Hopefully I never get to the point where I have to quit caffeine like you all!

Kudos to everybody in this threat though, once you get addicted to something it's really hard to get off. It was very hard for me to quit smoking about a month and a half ago.. but I remain cleann.

Congrats to all!
  • Huskeryogi
    Options
    Kudos to everybody in this threat though, once you get addicted to something it's really hard to get off. It was very hard for me to quit smoking about a month and a half ago.. but I remain cleann.

Congrats to all!

Congratulations on quiting smoking!!! Studies have shown nicotine to be more addictive than heroin. Serriously!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I gave caffeine up last october. I had little headaches for two weeks, and after I was fine.

I actually decided to quit it because I was taking an addiction class, and we were asked to give something up to know *a bit* what an addict feels. When I felt the headaches, I realized that I didn't want my body to be dependent on this, so I just gave it up altogether...well, except for chocolate, of course, let's not get all crazy! :wink:
  • dont_u_mean_carrots
    Options
    This is true... I don't feel like I'm addicted to it yet because I don't freak out when I have my coffee..

But since I work at a coffee company I do drink a ton of coffee and even more caffeine than the average person at times. Hopefully I never get to the point where I have to quit caffeine like you all!

These folks are not quitting caffine because they HAVE to. They are quitting because their bodies are becoming dependent on the chemical to function. Even the junkies in the streets would say "I don't feel like i'm addicted" Give it a shot though, try going without coffee for a week and see how your body reacts. Then you will feel how addicted your body really is.