FodMap Diet

Options
Just wondering if anyone here has done or is doing this diet. My nutritionist told me about it Friday. I started it today. Looking forward to no more gut issues. If you have done this diet how did it work for you?

Replies

• paganvegan
    paganvegan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have food sensitivities so being aware of this diet has helped me out some. Not adhering strictly to it though.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    For those with fructose/sugar malabsorption issues, it can be a life changer.
  • lzbth11
    lzbth11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it (not as strictly as I should) for a little less than a year and have never felt better. The list of FODMAP foods is long and daunting, but it is really about finding out what you can tolerate within it. I find onions and garlic (two of my favorite things ever) to be the worst triggers for me besides gluten. However, I can tolerate onion and garlic powder, which some followers can't. Good luck to you!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A friend of mine has really awful IBS issues, and was advised to try the FODMAP lifestyle. She found it extremely restrictive, but she said her flair ups decreased dramatically. She's recently re-introducing certain things very slowly into her diet, and seems to be having success. Took her about 6 months to a year on the diet to get to that point.
  • jaeemtea
    jaeemtea Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback all. Today is day 2 of phase 1. I already notice some of the discomfort has improved a bit. I really am interested in seeing what foods actually do trigger my issues. I would be absolutely beside myself if I had to give up onions and garlic. That touch of Italian in me is already protesting that possibility. :)
  • katybowling
    katybowling Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2, never felt better.. I am also on some medication so unsure which is making the difference but in a few weeks I'll try to come off the meds to see if I'm still feeling as good
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Do you have The Complete FodMap Diet? This is a very good book and gives you the science behind the diet, how it works, and I think some recipes. The authors also break things down very well and show that while a food may trigger you, it can depend on how much you have of it, or as a poster mentioned above, what form you have it in.

And have you had the breath tests for Lactose and Fructose Mal. and SIBO? These are easy tests. I had all three and found out I had SIBO.
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I also have been diagnosed with SIBO and my doctors want me to incorporate gluten and high fodmap food while on antibiotics but the gluten is making me feel so bloated and my weight is highly fluctuating daily. So frustrating!
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Do you have The Complete FodMap Diet? This is a very good book and gives you the science behind the diet, how it works, and I think some recipes. The authors also break things down very well and show that while a food may trigger you, it can depend on how much you have of it, or as a poster mentioned above, what form you have it in.

And have you had the breath tests for Lactose and Fructose Mal. and SIBO? These are easy tests. I had all three and found out I had SIBO.

Do you still have SIBO? Has it affected your weight?
  • godlikepoetyes
    Options
    I have had it a couple of times as far as I can tell. I wonder sometimes how my condition (gastroparesis) has effected my weight loss because there have been times when I couldn't eat much, but usually just a couple of days. There have been more days when I've been on liquids but I usually take in all my calories even so. So, while I do think it has contributed a bit, I don't think it's caused me to lose much more than I would have anyway. The disorder didn't manifest until I began to lose weight, although I had IBS and Colitis long before losing weight.
  • godlikepoetyes
    Options
    looney9708 wrote: »
    I also have been diagnosed with SIBO and my doctors want me to incorporate gluten and high fodmap food while on antibiotics but the gluten is making me feel so bloated and my weight is highly fluctuating daily. So frustrating!

Incorporating foods when they make you feel awful is hard. And it has made me feel "guilty," that oh I'm not eating fruits and veggies so I must be very unhappy feeling. But I'm doing the best I can. It's hard to have a digestive disorder. I'm in a flare right now and hope it clears up quickly.