Tri Shoe

Options
I am buying my first pair of cycling shoes. I am planning on running my first triathlon this summer and follow it up with a half ironman in August. I have been training with my running shoes on the bike. I am comfortable enough now on the bike that I need to purchase my tri shoes to bike with. Any suggestions for a beginner that doesn't want to spend a ton of money on shoes but at the same time would like to get something that is comfortable and gets the job done.

Replies

• s011daw
    s011daw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Go to a bike shop, someone there should be able to fit you for the right shoe. I use a Bontrager cycling shoe. It's not a specific Tri shoe. I've competed in about 6 triathlons in them and love them. You'll get so much more power when you start clipping in. Are you doing IMOhio by chance in August? I'm doing my first 70.3 there!
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    What day in August is IMOhio? I haven't signed up for the 1/2 ironman I was planning on in August to do in Michigan. I am actually looking for one that is closer to home. I live close to western Ohio.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You are probably better off at this stage going with a road bike shoe vs a tri-specific cycling shoe. Unless you are planning on doing a flying mount onto the bike, and a flying dismount off the bike, you will probably find a road shoe to be more comfortable.

I have had good luck with Shimano shoes. I would definitely suggest getting decent road pedals (SPD-SL, not regular SPD)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    You are probably better off at this stage going with a road bike shoe vs a tri-specific cycling shoe. Unless you are planning on doing a flying mount onto the bike, and a flying dismount off the bike, you will probably find a road shoe to be more comfortable.

I have had good luck with Shimano shoes. I would definitely suggest getting decent road pedals (SPD-SL, not regular SPD)

I'd second that advice, especially if you're also watching your budget. Typically tri shoes tend to be a little higher end and are priced accordingly.

I've been riding in Shimano shoes for years (I had a modestly priced pair that gave me over 5 years of great service) I might suggest however that you consider a Look Keo as your first pedal / cleat combination. With the red cleat you'll get more float (side to side movement) which is appropriate for someone new to clipless pedals. As you gain experience you can move to the grey or black cleat when the time is right.