Body Building and help

Options
aaronpossy
aaronpossy Posts: 4 Member
Im 6ft 0 and weigh 196 lb i am a professional rugby league player for wigan warriors and im looking for some key foods/workouts to gain weight. My knowledge goes pretty far. But still lookong for more advice :)

Replies

• Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If you are a professional rugby player, most of the advice on here is below your level of knowledge. There are some very informative people here.

guy's in the health and fitness industry that are worth checking out in relation to bodybuilding, would be Lyle McDonald, Greg Nuckols, Dave Tate for lifts,

Matt Porter is great if you really are into the truth of bodybuilding, and are not the bury your head in the sand type.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Doesn't your club have a nutritionist and trainer that can help with your weight gain?
  • aaronpossy
    Options
    Yeah but the exersises we get dont cover every muscle group
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Post up your club's strength exercise routine(s) and we/someone can advise. Without knowing what you already do it will be impossible to comment on what would be sensible to add (without wrecking what you are already doing).

That said: I would expect your club coach/trainer to provide better quality information (based on your specifics) than anyone on here.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I don't know what anyone can tell you here that you don't know without asking a bunch of questions and writing you a plan. This is quite simple, but just in case.

Diet: I think at your activity level ( I am assuming it is quite high), that you will need to make sure you are eating enough. You also want to make sure you are getting a lot of protein, most bodybuilders do 1g per 1lb bodyweight at a minimum. My family is composed on bodybuilders and they pack chicken breasts and rice with them everywhere.

Workouts: Heavy progressive lifting program focusing on 1-2 muscles a session. You can definitely look at bodybuilding.com, or read muscular development magazines--they have workouts by kai green and phil heath and different pros.
  • aaronpossy
    Options
    These are my supplements we are given Protein Hydrate (Premier division protein that gets to the muscles very quickly)

Protein Isolate (Division 1 protein that is a good all round protein supplement for all day use and when mixed with Protein Hydrate 50/50 is a good post work out drink)

Dextrose (High GI Carbohydrate taken with Waxy Maize Starch (30% Dextrose to 70% WMS) for pre workout drink (mixed with the protein hydrate and protein isolate) and post workout drink (mixed with the protein hydrate and protein isolate) . Pre workout take 20g and post workout take 30g.

Waxy Maize Starch (High GU Carb mixed with Dextrose for post workout drink) Take 50g in post workout drink.

Creatine Gluconate (Gets into the blood stream quickly - Helps improve strength) Take 5g 1hr before workout with 20g Protein Isolate and 20g Dextrose as a pre workout drink

L-Glutamine or Glutamine Peptide (Helps muscle recovery after a workout - Glutamine Peptide is better as it gets into blood stream quicker) Take 5g in morning, 5g after workout in post workout drink and 5g before going to bed

Alpha Man Multi Vitamin & Mineral Take as an insurance to make sure you get all the vitamins and minerals for muscle growth and recovery.

Vitamin B6 & B12 Helps to digest food into energy

Vitamin E Helps skin condition and help boost immune system

Vitamin C with bioflavonoids Helps boost immune system and stops muscles going into catabolic state. Take 1000mg two to three times per day

Milk Thistle Helps protect the liver

BCAA (Branch Chain Amino Acids) Three important amino acids for energy and recovery. Take before workout in pre workout Protein and High GI Carb shake and after workout in post work out Protein and High GI Carb shake.

Caffeine Take approx. 30mins before workout for concentration and fat burner and energy booster (do not take if your taking a pre workout stimulant i.e. Pulse V4 (see below).

ThermoPure Helps to burn fat. Take on empty stomach first thing in morning before breakfast.

Pulse V4 Pre workout stimulant containing supplements to help you concentrate and get a better pump (contains caffeine)
  • aaronpossy
    Options
    Here is the work out plan

Before every weight training workout – warm up body 5 minutes on Rower steady pace. Then central core & lower back warm up exercises.

Mon - Chest & Calves (12 - 16 sets Chest, 15 – 20 sets Calves – include incline bench press & flat bench flyes & parallel dips)

Tues – Back (20 sets – include deadlifts, chin ups and bent over rows)

Wed - Biceps and Triceps (12 sets Triceps – include close grip bench press (elbows in), 9 sets Biceps)

Thurs – Early morning (empty stomach) HIIT Cardio on seated bike & 9 sets on abs (three different exercises to hit all areas)

Fri – Shoulders and Traps (9 sets Traps, 12 to 16 sets shoulders – include military press)

Sat – Quads (20 sets – include Squats & Hack Squats and Leg Presses)

Sun – Early morning (empty stomach) Steady 40mins cardio using Rowing Machine, Stair Stepper, Cross Trainer & Treadmill walking at 13% incline & 9 sets on abs (three different exercises to hit all areas)

If you have time and want to loose body fat and raise metabolism and increase cardiovascular system for faster more intense weight training workouts ;

Tues (First thing in morning on empty stomach if possible) - 30mins cardio and 12 sets on Abs

Fri (First thing in morning on empty stomach if possible) - 30mins cardio and 12 sets on Abs
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    That is a *kitten* load of supplements most of which you would get in food if your diet was decent (although I guess the coach is assuming that young lads don't typically have great diets, and if the club is paying for them the usual: "You are wasting you money" arguments don't apply).

As far as training is concerned there is nothing that I can see that is missing. Assuming you are hitting them hard and eating at calorific excess* you should see muscle growth. I'm surprised that the plans specifically state that cardio is fasted - it sounds a bit like "fat burning zone woo" to me. I would have expected that where cardiovascular performance is of importance (and in your sport it is) that, this portion of the training would be fed (or at least not specifically fasted) to improve performance.

I'm assuming that on top of this there is also a shed load of game training - drills, practice games and the like so this is where your technique, teamwork and importantly a load of hitt style activity comes in.

* Calories in will need to be very high for you since your calories out are so high. On this front, measurements and the scale weight become important - they are your guide to progression. You should be tracking your calories going in but your calories out are going to be a mystery and, if I were you, I wouldn't even bother trying to track them. I'd just pick a number, eat to it, monitor and tweak based on gain/loss/maintain.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hold on you just said that the exercises you do dont cover every muscle group then you go on to list your workout and it covers every muscle group!!?? Are you here just to mess with my head?
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Except Sat says quads... you aren't just working quads right? If your leg day is focused on quads I would suggest adding exercises like stiff leg or Romanian deadlifts, leg curls and thrusters to get the glutes and hams too.