Anyone with PCOS have success stories :)?

Options
JaydedMiss
JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
I have it and am having a hell of a time losing weight, Before anyone suggests it yes i have a doctors appointment next week to discuss my own personal needs for my body.

But im really hoping to see some others who have had success, Even with the lowered metabolism and body storing fat usually a part of PCOS.

Id love to see or hear how you did it. How much exercise did you do?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    Options
    Makes me sad no one popped up :( starting to think its impossible
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Try searching the forums. I've seen them myself, they are out there.
  • JudyKenova175
    JudyKenova175 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I am cutting my carbs and having good success. I have lost 42 so far I think :) I will add more healthful ones in later, but for now this is working well and my pains have decreased by 75%!! Also I sleep much better and my period started with no PMS this month!!! I do my best to sweat good a few times a week as well. Just moving more helps.
  • NID2410
    NID2410 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been a suffering from PCOS from last 10 years now. It started getting better only after i started incorporating some sort of exercise(started with just basic walking) in my routine since last 2 years. My hormonal profile as of now is normal, I am not on any meds.
    One very valuable suggestion that really helped me was to limit my sugar intake. I consume less sugar now, and that helps a lot. Some forms of yoga, like kapal bhati(focus on stomach & breathing), anulom vilom(breathing) are really helpful.
    I still get delays if I dont exercize or take too much tension for anything- your brain, quality of thoughts effect your PCOD, so there I have to be careful.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and was diagnosed close to 25 years ago. I have never been overweight. I need to control my calories, and exercise regularly. The lower the weight I am at, the less symptoms I have. And exercise is key.
  • lea_fitz
    lea_fitz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for posting! I came here looking for the same answer as the OP. I'm a month in to logging religiously and of course saw barely 2lb lost, while others would be on -10 by now. It's hard.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    @gidgette1972
    You look fantastic! any advice?
  • amkasada86
    amkasada86 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi all!!! I'm so glad this page exists! It is a little bit frustrating to see such progress for non-PCOS members so I'm glad to be here on this page. My name is Amy and I am turning 30 in a couple months. I've just been diagnosed with PCOS for less than a year but I found paperwork for blood work done when I was 18 that notes "possible PCOS"(still mad that doctor didn't follow up with that possibility when I was younger and save me more than a decade of frustration, but I digress). I have lost almost 30lbs in 6months!!!!! I have cut ALL inflammatory foods out of my diet so no dairy, no gluten, less than 26g of sugar a day and no pig meat (pigs have no way to sweat, so they can not get rid of inflammation in their own body then it's in yours if eaten). I walk 5k-10k everyday at a slow, non stressful pace and just recently started a planking plan. I track my food/weight everyday including the good, the bad and the ugly! Being honest with myself wasn't something I always did but I am proud of it now!!! I just purchased my very first bikini AND wore it in public!!!!! I'm so excited to see the small changes in my body!!!! For me it's not about the weight loss but it's more about understanding my body and why it's fought so hard over the years....my sisters would lose 20lbs for every 2lbs I would lost. I'm moving away from the frustration of PCOS into acceptance and understanding and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! Much love to you all my cyst sisters! ;)

Ps... I don't know how to post pictures here, please help!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have a story but it's about somebody close to me, not about myself, which means I won't post it in public. You can send me a PM if you like though.
    amkasada86 wrote: »

Upload them to somewhere on the internet that people on MFP will be able to get to (ie Flickr will work, your private email won't) and then put the url to the file in between and, like this:

[img][/img]http://www.example.com/picture.jpg[/img]
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have a story but it's about somebody close to me, not about myself, which means I won't post it in public. You can send me a PM if you like though.
    amkasada86 wrote: »

Upload them to somewhere on the internet that people on MFP will be able to get to (ie Flickr will work, your private email won't) and then put the url to the file in between and, like this:

[img][/img]http://www.example.com/picture.jpg[/img]

The above is one way to do it, but you could also use the image tool to either upload from your computer or paste a URL from the internet without needing to mess with tags

5r768u0ayp7w.png

• katesnap
    katesnap Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am on metformin for PCOS and it has helped regulate my insulin and help me manage my weight. It's not the golden ticket but it really helps me. Also I keep my sugar and carbs controlled and drink tons of water....I get alot of belly fat,..40 years old...I fight the fight though...just sharing a little :)
  • gidgette1972
    gidgette1972 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water and stay away from sugar for sure. Drink lots of water and get moving! It will happen if you stay on track. Don't look at your journey as a diet, look at it as a lifestyle change. Also, fiber fiber fiber!! Get some soluble fiber that dissolves clear, I use it in anything I drink. You can use in food prep as well without noticing it's there
  • chellifit
    chellifit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting works for me. I eat carbs in the morning and then protein and veggies until 4pm. And then water and spearmint tea the rest of the day.
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    There is a very active group of us over at http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis Lots of support and success stories. I'm doing very well by reducing carbs and increasing protein. I can't say I'm low carb, I'm low-ish. I'm also on Spirolacetone which is a med that is helping to alleviate some of the other systems.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I've lost about 65lbs, though I had lost 70 and now gained 5lbs back from a bad week. I didn't lower my carbs. I didn't lower my sugar. Heck, I didn't even exercise much at all other than occasionally going swimming. It's really all about calorie control.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60. Planning on another 55. I lose a little slower than I expect, but calorie counting is working just fine for me.
    I feel better physically and emotionally, and have way more energy with regular exercise. Weight lifting and body weight exercise has really helped improve the shape of my body more so than when I was only reducing calories (slimmer calves - they're still disproportionately large though, and smaller waistline). But, I'm pretty sure that's the case whether one has PCOS or not.
    No problems with blood sugar, so I don't purposefully cut carbs per my endocrinologist - I don't eat a ton of refined white flour anymore, but that's just because pasta/bread/etc. is calorically dense. I don't eat many sweets, but mostly because I prefer salty/savory food.
    Really, it's the calorie counting and acknowledging that I was making a lot of excuses for myself that helped me lose 60 pounds so far.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!