So tired and could eat everything in the cupboard!

Options
Sick of myself today, I have changed my eating habits totally since March and so far lost 1 stone 7 pounds, which I am totally chuffed about!
The problem is, since then I am hardly sleeping at night and feel exhausted, added to that it is Tom and I have just eaten so much crap today and feel that I'm on a slippery slope to going back to bingeing and secret eating again. I really need a kick up the backside!

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Drink alot of water and binge away on fruits and vegetables. Its what i do when im in a binge mood ...Its boring but aslong as you drink a ton of water while doing it the binge mood goes away pretty fast.
  • Jeyradan
    Jeyradan Posts: 164 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I had a day like this yesterday. I planned food carefully to fit a calorie budget... then walked in the front door after work, flopped down on the floor, and dreamt of pizza. What helped was remembering that if I didn't cook the green vegetables that night, they weren't going to last; that and thinking about how pleased I'd be with myself if I didn't give in to temptation.

You can do it! If you're exhausted, it's okay to give yourself a boost once in a while and it won't hurt your bottom line. Constant deprivation is no way to create a long-term lifestyle change. But for now, if you can take a deep breath, remind yourself of why you're doing this, and think of how pleased you'll be when you go to bed having stuck to your guns, you can get through this feeling!

(Edited to add: if I'm feeling really hungry and don't have many calories left, drinking something with few or no calories can help. I love tea, but almond milk can be really filling, and you can stir in things like sweetener, coconut syrup, honey or turmeric if you have the calories to spare. Low-sugar or sugar-free juices can also be good. Sugar-free sodas aren't the greatest option, but they can be better than nothing if you just need to scratch a craving itch.)
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It's great that you realize what is happening. What's done is done; dust off your shoulders and move on. Remember: it takes about 3500 calories to gain a pound. You can't have gained too much from eating "so much crap." The only way you'll fail is if you let this bump discourage you forever. Best wishes!
  • kazz882
    kazz882 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, I know that I have made a lot of changes recently and still have a lot more to make! The drinking one especially, I really need to drink more and learn to at least like water! Tomorrow is another day eh?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I carry a water bottle 1L around with me everywhere since before i can remember. I go through easily 10L a day and nver got addicted to any pops or anything because i was never thirsty. Just have it on you and practice drinking large chugs whenever you think about it, Will be habit in no time :p
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Take a closer look at why you're hardly sleeping at night. I bet when you get better/more sleep, you'll be less likely to overeat. My advice for now is take a nap.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So you've lost 21 lbs in 8 or 9 weeks? That's more than 2 lbs per week which is very aggressive, no wonder you're hungry! It's not a race, so eat a little more and lose weight at a more manageable rate. Losing the weight so quickly and being hungry all the time increases the chances that once you hit your goal, you will compensate for being miserable the whole time by not sticking to the plan and gaining some of it back. Slow and permanent is better than fast and temporary, right?

Weight loss is a long term proposition, and maintenance will hopefully be for the rest of your life. No one is perfect, everyone who has been successful had bad days and bad weeks. And even if you were perfect, you would still have some weeks where you don't lose any weight. So when you have a bad day, learn from it and get back on plan. When you are really hungry, eat. Sometimes your body just needs a little more fuel than usual.

And if it helps I eat my maintenance calories for 2 days every TOM. Did it slow down my progress a little? Maybe. But life happens and I decided it was important to find a balance between taking care of myself, treating myself, and being disciplined. Best of luck and hang in there! :drinker:
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you're going to give yourself wiggle room, your TOM is the perfect time. Your body uses more energy during that time frame, anyway! Haha!

Best of luck, sweets!
  • kazz882
    Options
    I honestly don't know why I'm not sleeping, nothing's different about my life apart from changing my diet and I don't go to bed feeling hungry, hopefully it will sort itself out! I really love my sleep.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP you do need to figure out what is going on with the sleep. My best advice on that is do not nap in the day time. This hurts sleep at night unless you can do a 5 - 10 - 15 or 20 minute max. Do you have any other symptoms that accompaying less than effective quality of sleep?

Might be worth getting to doctor for. All my sleep issues are age and hormonal related, but nonetheless it does suck to be tired and feeling not so great.

I drink plain water during the day, but I also have water with Propel or Crystal light (with the caffiene). I needed some extra electrolyte properties for the amount of sweat I do a day. The Crystal light is something I drink once a day, and keeps me from the diet dr pepper.. LOL

Secret binging in the past? This is a bit scary to me (sorry never had that) but it seems like you know exactly what may trigger it and it is in the forefront of your thoughts.. so I do not see a problem with anything other than move on from a bad day (we ALL have these) and keep movin' and try to figure out the sleep.. I think sleep is just as or more important than any other thing we do other than eat.. so I get that about the eating and sleep..LOL
  • kazz882
    Options
    Thanks kimny72, do you think I am trying to lose too quickly? I have to be honest this is the first time in my whole life that I have actively tried to lose weight and its a mine field of different information out there! I really don't know if I am coming or going, I have read loads of brilliant posts on here but how many calories I should be eating is still a mystery to me haha.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of conflicting information. Some of it is bunk. Some of it is good. Sometimes both extremes of the conflicting info are both right, and you just have to find out what works for you and your body.

Barring certain inflammatory disorders and such related to diabetes or thyroid issues, it's very easy to start with the Calories In<Calories Out plan.

Depending on how much you have to lose, you may want to lose a bit slower in order to fight the urge to binge and the fatigue. But maybe you have medical issues that are hazardous to your immediate health and should lose as fast as you can. I don't know your exact situation.

It's very easy to set your MFP account to "lose 1 lb/week" then log your exercise, but "eat back" only half of those exercise calories earned.

So let's say if you change the setting to "lose 1 lb" it gives you 1400 calories. You log 300 calories at the gym. This gives you an overall target according to the app of 1700 total calories. BUT, because you're only "eating back" half of your exercise calories, this would mean a TOTAL of 1550 for that day.

If you weigh your food on a digital scale and follow the above, you might find you're tired less and crave less overall.

No gimicks, no special schedule or special foods. Just log honestly every day. It's that simple (at least for most everyone).
  • kazz882
    Options
    Thanks WBB55, I don't have any health problems but I do have a lot of weight to shift! but I didn't get this size overnight so I am not expecting a miracle to happen, I needed to change my whole lifestyle and eating habits so I plan to make small changes and just try to be healthier.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    kazz882 wrote: »
    Thanks WBB55, I don't have any health problems but I do have a lot of weight to shift! but I didn't get this size overnight so I am not expecting a miracle to happen, I needed to change my whole lifestyle and eating habits so I plan to make small changes and just try to be healthier.

I find small, sustainable steps are best, myself. Things like cutting out daily sodas or alcohol, upping your salmon and whole grains... even doing these can help. Simply logging honestly every day is a good step, no matter what deficit you have. Being able to accept that birthdays and Christmas happen and it's ok to eat 3000 calories on special days, but logging it and then getting right back to your planned calories the next day is -- to me -- more important in the long term than how fast one loses or whether someone's net calories are 1500 or 1650 or other details like that.

You don't have to miserable or hungry or give up foods you love.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kazz882 wrote: »
    Thanks kimny72, do you think I am trying to lose too quickly? I have to be honest this is the first time in my whole life that I have actively tried to lose weight and its a mine field of different information out there! I really don't know if I am coming or going, I have read loads of brilliant posts on here but how many calories I should be eating is still a mystery to me haha.

In general, 1-2 lbs per week is considered a good rate. If you have less than 50 lbs to lose, even 2 lbs per week is kind of aggressive. But to me the key is your hunger. If you are HUNGRY, like tummy growling I'd eat anything hungry, you are probably not eating enough. Obviously, cravings or boredom hunger is different! The best way to tell over time is how you feel and how fast or slow you are losing. As @WBB55 said, you don't have to be miserable or always hungry to lose. In fact, you have a better chance at success if you're not :)
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you have a lot of weight to lose, drastically changing your calorie allowance may set you up for failure. If you were initially eating 2000 calories or more during the day, and you cut your intake by 50% or more, your body is going to miss that 50% and protest. You will lose weight if you cut it by 20%, and then adjust accordingly as you plateau. Bigger bodies need a higher caloric intake than smaller bodies in the beginning stages of weight loss. As you said, you didn't put it on overnight, and it is not going to come off and stay off that way.

When you set up your account, did you use the MFP calculator?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Got to make sleep a priority. I get so hungry when I'm tired too.
  • kazz882
    Options
    Nachise I'm not sure, l have mucked about with the settings and changed my goals a few times as l was supposed to be eating about 1250 on one of the settings and there's no way l could sustain that at this time! I have about 70 pounds still to lose.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you ate everything in the cupboard, maybe you could sleep in there. Sleep is crazy important.
    You might try to eat a few more carbs, see if that helps your sleep. Sometimes that helps me. Like I'll eat a banana late.