Coq10

Options
frangrann
frangrann Posts: 219 Member
Anyone use the coq10 supplement? If you have, what are your thoughts on it? Why do you take it? Side effects? Thanks.

Replies

• paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have taken it in the past to help with fatigue. Worked well enough but couldn't sleep first week or so. No idea if placebo.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Statins.
    If you take cholesterol lowering medications, you should take coq10
    http://www.healthline.com/health/coq10-and-statins
    I took them b/c they were on sale. Did not benefit me in any way.
    * I take a daily multivitamin. + Vit C 500 mg. + fish oil.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I take it because there is evidence that it helps with high blood pressure.
    Lots of info about it from reliable source here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/coenzyme-q10/background/hrb-20059019
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    While getting my BS in biochemistry I did a report on coQ10. My finding is that a normal person has absolutely no reason to it. It's a complete waste of money. But if you are older and you body is no longer able to produce enough then they are benefits. But from the research I did that age was typically 70+
  • frangrann
    Options
    I'm 52 and workout 6-7 x/wk. I've been taking statins for 4 yrs and since Feb have leg muscle pain/weakness/etc....I'm a PT and I know what tightness, overuse and muscle fatigue feels like and this is different. Stopped my statin 2 weeks ago. Better but not gone. Looking to feel normal - hate this! Read about coq10 helping this but I don't want any other side effects. Going to md in 2 weeks.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    While getting my BS in biochemistry I did a report on coQ10. My finding is that a normal person has absolutely no reason to it. It's a complete waste of money. But if you are older and you body is no longer able to produce enough then they are benefits. But from the research I did that age was typically 70+

What are your thoughts on Ubiquinol?

• jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

What are your thoughts on Ubiquinol?

[/quote]

Ubiquinol is a form of COQ10 that is supposed to be better absorbed than the standard Ubiquinone
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you are going to try it, make sure you double check any interactions with other medications you may be on. It does interact with several common medications!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My dentist recommended Q10 to help support my teeth and gums. I haven't looked into yet.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited May 2016
    Options
    We are in the year 2016, and some doctors still don't know that patents under statins pretty much NEED co-q-10?
    Update doctors.
    Also, what are your cholesterol numbers?
    They may not be that high.
    My dad was taking statins with a cholesterol of 122.
    His brain fog was so bad, he drove down the wrong way of a street where he lived.
    Some doctors don't know what the heck they are doing.
    Your cholesterol can be 200.
    * Walking fast for 20 minutes a day can do wonders for cholesterol numbers.

@christine_72 Co-q-10 is an antioxidant. If you take vitamin C and eat an good diet, you probably do not need it.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    We are in the year 2016, and some doctors still don't know that patents under statins pretty much NEED co-q-10?
    Update doctors.
    Also, what are your cholesterol numbers?
    They may not be that high.
    My dad was taking statins with a cholesterol of 122.
    Some doctors don't know what the heck they are doing.
    Your cholesterol can be 200.
    * Walking fast for 20 minutes a day can do wonders for cholesterol numbers.

@christine_72 Co-q-10 is an antioxidant. If you take vitamin C and eat an good diet, you probably do not need it.

@janetYellen thanks for that. I take 10,000mg of vit C everyday as was also recommended by my periodontist. I honestly didnt want to add another supplement to the regime..
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I take it every few days. It has so many benefits.

mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/coenzyme-q10/evidence/hrb-20059019
  • Christine_72
    Options

Jeebers, I didn't think I was ever going to reach the end of that list!
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Similar list for the "benefits" of vitamin C.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/vitamin-c/evidence/hrb-20060322
    Many, many similarities

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Here's a much more realistic (and research-backed) article on CoQ10: http://examine.com/supplements/Coenzyme Q10/
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    Similar list for the "benefits" of vitamin C.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/vitamin-c/evidence/hrb-20060322
    Many, many similarities
    They may be similar but they are completely different nutrients. CoQ10 is great for the heart along with Vitamin E.
  • TheDevastator
    edited May 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Here's a much more realistic (and research-backed) article on CoQ10: http://examine.com/supplements/Coenzyme Q10/

What you don't trust mayo clinic? I forgot about examine.com even though I used it a week ago. It has some good and some false information.
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

No, they don't. As a pharmacist, I don't encourage it (but I won't try to dissuade someone who really wants to try it, either). There is no evidence supporting its benefit when used in this manner (and please don't link me to websites- I am referring to actual sound double-blind placebo-controlled trials with an adequate number of subjects). Websites often take tiny, flawed studies with a very small number of subjects and like to sensationalize non-significant results. Also throw in the fact that supplements are not regulated by the FDA- so they do not have to prove benefit, and they don't even have to contain what they say they contain on the label in the quantities they say they do.

Also, many people equate supplements with being safe, but Mamamc3 is right- double-check first to make sure it doesn't interact with anything you're currently on. One that comes to mind- it can have an interaction with warfarin (which many people are on) resulting in an increased risk of bleed.

I'm not saying it's a horrible thing to take if you really want to try it, I'm just saying you're likely better off saving your money, and no- patients on statins do not NEED CoQ10. If they're experiencing myopathies and want to give it a shot, by all means..
  • frangrann
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses.
  • Larkson88
    Larkson88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    CoQ10 is absolutely essential in your body's energy production. Statin therapy blocks the enzyme HmG CoA Reductase. The body cannot make CoQ10 without HmG CoA Reductase, which is why people on statin therapy can experience muscle myopathy and other muscle-related discomfort. So, if you are preventing CoQ10 with statins, you need to either add it through food or supplementation.
    I will agree that dietary supplements are not regulated by the FDA, but that does not mean there are not quality supplements out there. Avoid the private label brands and do your research on manufacturers that produce pharmaceutical-grade supplements and you will get everything guaranteed on the label.
    Read more about statin-therapy and CoQ10 here: http://www.q10facts.com/q10-and-how-to-cope-with-side-effects-of-statins/