Best lower back exercises

Options
AsrarHussain
AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
I want to know what are the best exercises I can do for my lower back. I can't so deadlifts. Are there any other alternatives.

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical limitation precluding deadlifts? Hard to recommend something without knowing why deads are out.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My question is why just lower back? Are you avoiding the lift because of injury?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I know you said you can't do deadlifts but Jefferson Deallifts are much easier on your back and I do them instead of conventional/sumo when I have back pain
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Supermans and or Back Bows?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    You could do rack pulls....kinda like modified deads.
    Put the bar a little higher up than starting off the floor and pull from there.

Hyperextensions.....some gyms have a contraption where you can lock your feet into the base, and you hinge at your waste, face down....so you lower your upper body to the floor and then bring it back up.....and obviously you can grab some weight and hold it to add more resistance.

supermans

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Reverse Hyperextensions

Good Mornings from pins
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Hypers, Reverse Hypers

You said no deadlifts but RDL's and SLDL's are good if you can.

Good Mornings, Ab Wheel Rollouts, Planks
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I don't deadlift because of arthritis. I do back extensions every time I train back.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Is there a medical limitation precluding deadlifts? Hard to recommend something without knowing why deads are out.

I don't know how to do them, It may sound silly.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    I know you said you can't do deadlifts but Jefferson Deallifts are much easier on your back and I do them instead of conventional/sumo when I have back pain

Never heard of that, I will goggle it thank you.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest back bows too. It's a body weight exercise that I always thought looked so simple, but it's only as I've gotten more fit that I can actually do them!
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    Dude, it is easy to learn. It is the best form of exercise. Start low and increase as you get used to it.

I have really bad mobility, I have heard they are dangerous.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Dude, it is easy to learn. It is the best form of exercise. Start low and increase as you get used to it.

I can't imagine deadlifts being any more dangerous than squats, bench press or pretty much any other lift.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Can you start with Romanian deadlifts?
  • PatrickLim
    PatrickLim Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Why are most people talking about deadlifts for a lower back exercise? Last time I checked it's a glute exercise since they are the primary hip extensors. If you are extending at the low back to deadlift then you are majorly performing it incorrectly.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Like all moves, they are only dangerous when done incorrectly. Start with very light weight and learn form. Ask a friend or trainer to check your form. DL is one of the most effective and most beneficial moves out there.
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    KETTLEBELL SWINGS!!!