Knee injury pushing too much weight during workout

Options
My knees have always been super healthy I'm 27 pounds to my goal and been working out as a part of my fitness program. I pushed too much weight and I have a knee injury. Curious if this is happened to anyone else and what was the length of time it took your need to heal. Thank you!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What specifically is the injury? See a physiotherapist if you don't know and follow their advice.

You also might want to move this out of the debate forum?
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    There are a number of weightlifters that engage in conversation in this forum. Anyone that engages in weightlifting is well aware of potential strain or injuries. Weightlifters, runners, etc. Plus being from a medical family helps which is my case . It's always interesting to get others take on the situation especially if they have experienced strained while weightlifting. Thus question is appropriate for a fitness forum.
    What specifically is the injury? See a physiotherapist if you don't know and follow their advice.

You also might want to move this out of the debate forum?

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Get a medical diagnosis frim a professional. Nobody on here can tell what you have going on.

That said I don't personally know of anyone who injured a healthy knee lifting unless they slipped, lost balance, etc. Typically muscle will fatigue before you could damage structure.

Good luck
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Get a medical diagnosis frim a professional. Nobody on here can tell what you have going on.

That said I don't personally know of anyone who injured a healthy knee lifting unless they slipped, lost balance, etc. Typically muscle will fatigue before you could damage structure.

Good luck

If you read my post you will see that I did not ask what is going on. I simply asked how long it took them to heal.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Good luck

If you read my post you will see that I did not ask what is going on. I simply asked how long it took them to heal.

How is anyone supposed to speculate on recovery time for an injury with no actual diagnosis? "Knee injury" could literally fall anywhere from a mild sprain that could heal in a few days to a total tear of everything that might take years.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I strained my quadriceps tendon while squatting last February and it took me 6 weeks to build up the courage to squat again. I wanted to make sure I gave my body adequate time to heal.

As others have said a knee injury has a vast range of possible causes, I would suggest seeing an orthopedist or physical therapist for diagnosis.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    It's all over the place, depending. Sore knee; day or two (and usually needed to work on form). Muscle strain, sprain, or pull -- anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months depending on severity. Never tore anything (tendon or muscle), but that's surgery time generally.

What's the symptoms? Just a bit sore, or unable to sleep sort of pain? A bit of swelling, or so swollen that the leg is immobile? Where is the pain (under kneecap, on one or more sides of the kneecap, behind the knee, etc)? What lift were you doing, and where in the lift did the sh1t hit the fan?
  • Packerjohn
    Options

Good luck

If no clue what the injury is it is impossible for anyone to tell you, their experience how long a similar injury took to heal.

Could be anywhere from a day to never.
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    To the weightlifters here, thanks. I have an awesome Doctor who is monitoring. Actually my late husband was a physician who tragically passed away at a young age and he was also a weightlifter. Placed #2 in a professional competition. Ice, rest, anti inflammatory ibuprofen and keeping it elevated. My legs are the strongest part of my body. too confident and pushed far too much weight. The moment I realized it I immediately stopped. I was doing the lay down leg press. The pain is on the top area of the kneecap and on the sides. painful to bend my knee completely but actually it's doing much better really appreciate your input. not surprising that the two of you that have answered this way. Obvious you are secure individuals and experienced weight lifters. It happened at the 4th push.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Do your knees colapse in when doing the leg press?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

Good luck

i hurt my knee one time and it took many years plus surgery and a donor ligament for it to heal.
  • bellabonbons
    Options

Actually my knees don't collapse and didn't collapse when I pushed too much. I stopped immediately and I'm not doing any laydown leg presses or squats or any type of leg exercise for the next six weeks. Giving my knees every chance to heal. interesting it was my strongest knee that was affected. My weakest need recovered right away. I love working out.
    I have an awesome doctor he doesn't feel it's severe enough to warrant any x-rays. Just doing rest ice relax and elevation.
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Good luck

i hurt my knee one time and it took many years plus surgery and a donor ligament for it to heal.

Wow! How did you hurt your knee?
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm not a weightlifter, but I hyper extended my knee and pulled my LCL playing soccer probably 4 or 5 years ago. Took a couple of weeks/month to get back on the field with regular physio appointments and I still had some pain/a limp for a while. It was a couple of months before I was back to full performance. I have friends who hurt their knees worse than that and were never able to make it back onto the field. That's why people want you to specify what type of injury, no two injuries are alike, especially knee injuries, there's so much going on there recovery times vary widely.
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    I'm not a weightlifter, but I hyper extended my knee and pulled my LCL playing soccer probably 4 or 5 years ago. Took a couple of weeks/month to get back on the field with regular physio appointments and I still had some pain/a limp for a while. It was a couple of months before I was back to full performance. I have friends who hurt their knees worse than that and were never able to make it back onto the field. That's why people want you to specify what type of injury, no two injuries are alike, especially knee injuries, there's so much going on there recovery times vary widely.

Thanks Nikki. I plan to give it 4 to 6 weeks I've already shown great improvement in 2.5 weeks. That's great that you're back on the field.
    Sorry about your friends. That's a lot to go through.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Are you familiar with the concept of q angle?

http://liftbigeatbig.com/female-anatomy-the-q-angle-and-lifting/

This article is specifically about the squat but I assume there would be carry over to a leg press. Might be worth some research as you get back to heavier weights.

Best of luck.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

Actually my knees don't collapse and didn't collapse when I pushed too much. I stopped immediately and I'm not doing any laydown leg presses or squats or any type of leg exercise for the next six weeks. Giving my knees every chance to heal. interesting it was my strongest knee that was affected. My weakest need recovered right away. I love working out.
    I have an awesome doctor he doesn't feel it's severe enough to warrant any x-rays. Just doing rest ice relax and elevation.

Sounds like the weak lleg decided to take a vacation and let the strong leg handle the sled.

Keep up the RICE for now. If you're lucky, the swelling should be gone within the week and you & the doc can evaluate for crunchy noises and mobility / stability issues. If you don't have any of those, it's just a matter of ramping up slowly from there out.
  • bellabonbons
    Options

This article is specifically about the squat but I assume there would be carry over to a leg press. Might be worth some research as you get back to heavier weights.

Best of luck.

Awesome, thanks !
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »

Sounds like the weak lleg decided to take a vacation and let the strong leg handle the sled.

Keep up the RICE for now. If you're lucky, the swelling should be gone within the week and you & the doc can evaluate for crunchy noises and mobility / stability issues. If you don't have any of those, it's just a matter of ramping up slowly from there out.

Thanks !!!
  • Packerjohn
    edited May 2016
    Options

Best of luck.

Awesome, thanks !

There's a lot out there on it. I helped coach a junior high track team for a few years. It was like clockwork the girls didn't have any issues then about 7th grade knee problems started to crop up as they matured.