5 x 5 Stronglifts: Am I Doing This Wrong?

Options
amyn73
amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
Hello!
I am starting 5 x 5 Stronglifts this week and I have wondered if I am doing it wrong. Should you be dying at the end of your workout? I am lifting as heavy as I can get but it doesn't kill me. I am sore after a workout but I guess with my workouts being mostly cardio in the past, I expect to be sweaty and wore out afterward. Thanks.

Replies

• MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    As long as you're progressing, you're fine.
    Just try and hit failure on the last rep.
    No, we don't want you die:)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    amyn73 wrote: »
    Hello!
    I am starting 5 x 5 Stronglifts this week and I have wondered if I am doing it wrong. Should you be dying at the end of your workout? I am lifting as heavy as I can get but it doesn't kill me. I am sore after a workout but I guess with my workouts being mostly cardio in the past, I expect to be sweaty and wore out afterward. Thanks.

I don't ever remember being sweaty and wore out...at the end of the workout.

After a set yes but rest periods are to gather yourself together again....

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Have you downloaded the app? Are you using it? Do you use the 90 second to 3 minute break period between sets? Did you start with bare bar (45 pounds)?
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 264 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You don't need to be sweaty. If followed, there is plenty of rest between sets. As it progresses, it will get harder but even then I found I didn't sweat much. Now recovery from all the squats..... lol. Keep going with it, the program works well for strength.

EDIT: Not sure of your strength level, but if you just started, lifting as heavy as you can is wrong. If you can't do the bar, start at a comfortable weight. Focus should be on form first, then progression.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    OP,
    I started Stronglifts just this past week too. I wasn't dying but I definitely felt like I worked some muscles.

That being said, it generally hits me after the workout about 24 hours after.
  • eandasher
    eandasher Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    These type of workouts are for breaking down muscle, not to fatigue them. you're trying to build mass overall and so you don't have to build up your heart rate, just target the right muscles and put them under heavy load. This type of workout will also not necessarily make you 'stronger' its more for appearance, rather than practical application. Focus on good lifting technique, form, and finding your lifting tempo. You'll have crazy gains for your first year of serious lifting, but after that it'll slow down. Good luck :wink:
  • BuccaneersFan
    BuccaneersFan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest that you do not overdo it for the first week or two, especially if you've never lifted before. You'll just end up overly sore and then the quality of your subsequent workouts will suffer. The most important thing to remember is proper form, if you do not have proper form you are very likely to injure yourself and the lift is also less effective. If your very sore you're more likely to break form.
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I started Strong Lifts 4 weeks ago, and at first the Olympic Bars even unweighted were a bit much for her (they are 45lbs) so she opted to use some of the straight curling bars to begin with.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks to a month should be relatively easy. Video yourself and make sure your form is correct.
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    ummm yeah. If done properly, It will make you stronger. lol.
  • amyn73
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. Glad I'm not gonna die. Glad I'm on the right path. I will download the app to structure my workout. I do have to do bare bar for my presses but my squats and deadlift are heavier. I will take it slow, though, as advised.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    amyn73 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the input. Glad I'm not gonna die. Glad I'm on the right path. I will download the app to structure my workout. I do have to do bare bar for my presses but my squats and deadlift are heavier. I will take it slow, though, as advised.

All good moves. If you're already "lifting as heavy as you can", you're doing the the program incorrectly. For the first few weeks, you need to be lifting low enough weights that you can ingrain the proper form / movement, so that when you start hitting challenging weights you don't injure yourself. The 5lb per lift (10lb on deadlift) ramp on SL is very rapid, so you'll be struggling pretty quickly. Probably should go out and invest in a couple of 1.25lb plates now, so you can ramp the push lifts at 2.5lb per.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am just about to finish my 2nd week of SL and I love it. I feel like I've worked out but not like I'm dying. I can tell it's getting harder, though.
  • amyn73
    Options
    Thanks for the last 2 comments. I am picking up more weights today, in fact! VI am looking forward to ramping up!!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the app is really helpful and easy to use.