3 lb weighted hula hoop?

Options
Pikashel
Pikashel Posts: 61 Member
Does a weighted hula hoop actually do anything? Is it considered cardio or strength training? Also what's up with the ridges on some of them? They hurt :(

I'm just curious because I bought one recently and wonder if it's even worth using.

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    hula hoop is a perfectly fine cardio activity. It is not strength training any more than walking/running is. I don't know much about weighted hoops, but my understanding is that the heavier the weight the easier it is to keep them going, so over any given period of time they burn less calories (but you should be able to do it longer if it is easier).

If you enjoy it, do it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I suspect the weight is meant to give you better control and momentum with the hoop rather than increasing your cardiovascular benefits other than the actual movement itself. I don't know that I'd want to hula for an hour lol
  • Pikashel
    Pikashel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I used to be a hula hoop champ in grade school so I bought it to see if I could still do it. Turns out I can't because of all the weight gain. I'll try again when I lose more weight.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It takes time to relearn how o hula hoop! It's fun exercise, but don't expect to be able to do it well at first, hah. I got one expecting to do it fine right away, and it took a lot of practice just to be able to keep it up.