Fired from job

Options
2»

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    In every employment relationship, I am the greatest. If this employer fails to recognize that, get me out of here fast. All that hardest work you ever did is training for starting your own business and having the greatest employee ever - yourself. Don't doubt me. The only obstacle to starting a thriving business is you, and can overcome that in a minute. I have so many relatives who started businesses from nothing and turned them into thriving enterprises that I know it can be done. Relatives who never learned to read. Relatives who never graduated high school. Relatives who found themselves cast aside in middle age with no special skills. Shut down your pity party and get started NOW.
  • kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are going through this. I wish you all the best.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My last job, ugghhh, eff them!. I worked hard, nights, weekends, holidays. I stayed later, came early worked on my days off and I was doing well but the company again and again complained of financial strain. I took 2 pay cuts. I still kept my head up and looked at it as for the best for the company. However, they would keep hiring people. Same position as me but start them off paying them more. It was a slap in the face. They blamed it partly in me not having a degree. I really want to say part of it was me being a woman (it was a male dominated industry) I went back to school after 3 yrs with this company because they offered tuition assistance when I started working there. However the semester I enrolled back in school was when they all of a sudden they couldn't afford it....Anyway, I finished my degree. I had now been with the company 5 years and working in the same position for 10yrs and now had my business degree. A promotion opportunity came up and at first they didn't even consider me. I heard about it through the grapevine through others that had been offered an interview who had only been with the company for a few months! I was livid! I demanded an interview. The first time they had to really listen to me. I got the job, Got a $20K raise. I was so excited finally. My hard work had paid off.

Right? :relieved:
    Wrong :weary:

A month later the company shut down with less than a 24hr warning. :rage:
    They never paid us our final checks so I never saw a check with my raise! ---OOOOHHH BAD WORD, BAD WORD, BAD WORD, BAD WORD!

Anyway...Fast forward. It took 6 months but I landed a job I had tried to get for years. Now the pay is less than what I made after the 2 pay cuts BUT great benefits, great hours, great people, close to home, almost no stress and in a year I can go back to school for free! Screw the money. You just never know. What's happening now is probably a blessing in disguise!

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Never sweat getting fired. There is absolutely no such thing as company loyalty no matter how hard you work. The bottom line it's all about making money or the lack of it. Therefore, take advantage all training you can get, tuition reimbursement etc... learn as much as you can to build your resume. These days you have to look out for you!

Usually getting let go is a blessing in disguise for something way better!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I feel defeated, like a failure, and am absolutely heartbroken as a result.

Working in the creative field and being a past manager I am so used to criticism and conflict stuff it really doesn't phase me personally anymore. But yes, it is tough and it does kinda suck, but only if you keep the attitude like that. So you have gained some experience in the job you are in and now you can move on to something better or different if it didn't fit your taste. Sounds like an opportunity really.

You go this.

• GeorgiePie88
    GeorgiePie88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight, everyone. Even though it's terrible that you all went through it, I'm kind of relieved to know that it has happened to other people and that I'm not entirely alone. Your kind words and understanding has been helpful. I know now it's time to pick up the pieces and move on.
  • duckforceone
    duckforceone Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i have just started finding out about Frugal living... i would recommend giving it a go on how to get by on 1 income.
    Some great blogs and youtube out there.

but yeah, don't beat yourself up over that, you have done your best, and that is all anyone can ever ask for.