Exercise Video Games (like Wii and DDR)

Options
Pikashel
Pikashel Posts: 61 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone still use their Wii Fit, Wii Sports, or DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) for exercise? That is my main cardio at the moment until I can work my way up to running.

Cardio (6 days a week):
-DDR for 30 min on medium/hard (standard/heavy). About 16 songs and working my way up to more
-Rest day: Wii Fit or Wii Sports (30 min) and walking my doge (15 min)

Strength:
-Biceps and triceps with 18 lbs weights (usually 3 sets with 10 reps)

Current stats:
Height: 5'7"
SW: 289 lbs
CW: 280 lbs
GW: 140 lbs

Thoughts on my routine? Am I doing anything wrong or should I add to my regimen? Is anyone else using video games as a main source of exercise?

Please also feel free to add me if you have similar stats and goals! Leave me a note saying why you want to be friends :smile:

Replies

• mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I liked it but never felt like it helped as much as I wanted. I did better just jumping into running with a c25k app and repeating days if I wasn't ready for the next intensity. I used to hate strength training but now I love it and muscles will help in the long run. I do pushups, squats, lunges and other items also. You have a great start but don't be scared to just jump into running.
  • Pikashel
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I liked it but never felt like it helped as much as I wanted. I did better just jumping into running with a c25k app and repeating days if I wasn't ready for the next intensity. I used to hate strength training but now I love it and muscles will help in the long run. I do pushups, squats, lunges and other items also. You have a great start but don't be scared to just jump into running.

Maybe it's an excuse but I feel like I am too heavy right now to just jump into running. If I do I probably won't go very far lol. I was able to do the elliptical for 10 min last week. I'm going to gradually increase the duration and frequency..but probably very slowly. I think I'll add squats and lunges too. Pushups...I was never able to do push ups, even when I was 70 lbs lighter.

Which games did you play?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    any reason your strength training is on two small body parts - biceps and triceps - what about the rest of your body??
  • Pikashel
    edited May 2016
    Options
    any reason your strength training is on two small body parts - biceps and triceps - what about the rest of your body??

I workout at home. I only have a bench and weights. I'm not too educated on weight training and would like to get more ideas if you have any ideas for beginners! I also want to incorporate chest exercises but haven't begun any research on that yet.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You get the biggest bang for your workout buck if you exercise your largest muscles, since they take the most energy to move (including strength training). Abdomen, back, thighs, butt (shoulders too, if you have extra time). Doing squats, push ups, lunges and leg lifts can work all of these without any added weights (but after a month, you might add some weights). Add some walking, and you're off to a great start.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Since you workout at home, look into the You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning. They're both body weight training programs.

Years ago I used the Wii to workout. I would us the walk program for about 60 minutes while watching tv and it helped. I used it as my rest day after doing an P90X workout.
  • Peregrymj
    Peregrymj Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of DDR for exercise, it's great for those of us who despise running. A forty minute session on the higher level songs will have me dripping with sweat, haha.
  • Pikashel
    Options
    Peregrymj wrote: »
    I do a lot of DDR for exercise, it's great for those of us who despise running. A forty minute session on the higher level songs will have me dripping with sweat, haha.

Same here! What are your favorite songs and what level do you play on? :P
  • Pikashel
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Since you workout at home, look into the You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning. They're both body weight training programs.

Years ago I used the Wii to workout. I would us the walk program for about 60 minutes while watching tv and it helped. I used it as my rest day after doing an P90X workout.

Thanks, I will look into those! I think Wii games are great if you are very out of shape and just starting to get back at it.
  • Pikashel
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    You get the biggest bang for your workout buck if you exercise your largest muscles, since they take the most energy to move (including strength training). Abdomen, back, thighs, butt (shoulders too, if you have extra time). Doing squats, push ups, lunges and leg lifts can work all of these without any added weights (but after a month, you might add some weights). Add some walking, and you're off to a great start.

Are there any resources you'd recommend me to look into some beginner exercises for large muscles?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I use video games as a way to relax when I'm not working out.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Pikashel wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »

Are there any resources you'd recommend me to look into some beginner exercises for large muscles?

The "you are your own gym" search that someone else mentioned is a GREAT place to start.
  • KristiMillner08
    KristiMillner08 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use my WII for exercise. I have a lot of knee pain so running is not an option. I am getting ready to join the YMCA here specifically for the water classes. Little to no impact on joints but awesome cardio!
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Your moving and that's good. Forget the fads, crazy diets etc. Losing weight is about the basics no "magic bullet".
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I use our old DDR games as part of my routine and it helped me get to goal weight. If you enjoy doing it you're more likely to stick with it, and you're moving, so that's always good! :)
  • AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i know a few people who have lost a bunch of weight DDRing it up. I play it but only occasionally.........that needs to change! =) Thanks for the reminder. I like the paranoia's on the easier settings
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have a wii and I have a lot of dance games and I love them. thats how I started losing weight. I still use the just dance or the zumba games every so often when I want to do something different.hey exercise is exercise, and if you like to dance and use it for your cardio then do that. you dont have to run if you dont want to.
  • Pikashel
    Options
    @andycool22 yeah, reviving the DDR! I don't know what I'm going to do when my dance pad breaks. They don't really sell good ones anymore. Paranoia is hecka hard... I can only play on easy right now.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have a Wii boxing game. I haven't played it in a while. Walking on a treadmill at a high speed, and/or incline will also help boost your lung capacity for running. I'm not sure what you are worried you can't do in regards to running. Without that information it's hard to know what to suggest.
  • Pikashel
    edited May 2016
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    I have a Wii boxing game. I haven't played it in a while. Walking on a treadmill at a high speed, and/or incline will also help boost your lung capacity for running. I'm not sure what you are worried you can't do in regards to running. Without that information it's hard to know what to suggest.

I currently weight 280lbs and have been sedentary for over 5 years. I want to work slowly towards running but just don't feel like I'm ready for it yet. I did however run a very short distance to catch my bus the other day and didn't feel as winded as I normally do (I've been doing other cardio daily)