First off, this is my current workout routine

Mon- 45 min upper body strength. 15 min hiit
Thes-1hr lower body strength
Weds-60 min low intensity cardio
Thurs-same as mon
Fri-same as tues
Sat-same as weds
Sun-rest

I've been doing this for the past month and have seen a remarkable increase in strength. Ramadan is in a fortnight and I'm wondering how I should continue my training throughout the month. No eating or drinking from sunrise to sunset. This will be for 30 days. I'm the UK so it'll be a 19 hour fast.

I obviously can't train like I do now. My plan is to eat a good sized meal at sunset (10pm) and then workout at midnight and eat a large meal again at 3ish sunrise).

Should I do 3-4 full body strength workouts a week during the month or what? Could do with some advice on how to structure my workouts during the month.

Last year, I walked 90 miles during Ramadan while I was fasting so thirst and hunger doesn't affect me negatively. Hoerver, I lost a lot of muscle and was skinny fat. I don't want to do that this year so will happily eliminate cardio for the month. I don't want to lose my strength gains or muscle so unsure of how to workout this month. Not training isn't an option as it gives me life.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Workout early in the morning or at night where you can eat after/before. Without the hydration you need to cut the exercise during the day to a minimum or nothing.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest keeping your routine but be flexible for your strength. Maybe you'll do a few less reps or not add weight on for the length of Ramadan, but you shouldnt lose much! Make sure a large portion of your calories are coming from protein, and that will also help maintain your muscles.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    I'd suggest keeping your routine but be flexible for your strength. Maybe you'll do a few less reps or not add weight on for the length of Ramadan, but you shouldnt lose much! Make sure a large portion of your calories are coming from protein, and that will also help maintain your muscles.

I think you're misunderstanding what Ramadan is. Believe me, there is lots of eating and lots of food. Just none between sunrise and sunset. Calorie intake isn't an issue. The bigger issue is that she can't have fluid intake during the day. Exercise during the day has to be out due to dehydration risk.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you could keep your current workout plan but change the times? For example - let's pretend you normally workout at noon. Well you will be fasted during that time so probably won't want to workout. But could you workout after you've broken your fast ? If not, then I would do what you can but be mindful of how you feel. If you feel lightheadedness or dizziness during your workout then it may be time to stop. When Ramadan is over you can return to your normal schedule:) just don't be too hard on yourself and don't beat yourself up.
  • wantoldme
    wantoldme Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'll be fasting too. I suggest working out an hour before iftar. That has always worked for me (when it comes to cardio). If you want to lift weights do it after Iftar.
  • saminabilal
    saminabilal Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster^ I will be doing the same doing cardio before Iftar
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Changingmyfatitude Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm fasting this year and I'm planning on going lighter on weights and doing superset instead. The goal is to just maintain my muscle during Ramadan. Last year I worked out just before Iftar. I'll try the same this year and if it's not working then I'll do it after a light Iftar meals them I'll eat properly once I've completed my workout. Sticking to calories and macros as normal.
  • neela1880
    neela1880 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I worked out last year during Ramadan, I did light walking for 20 minutes 2 to 3 times a week and full body strength training also 2 to 3 times a week after teraweeh prayer.
  • neela1880
    neela1880 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    With a bit lighter weights than I usually would do
  • manisa22
    manisa22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great question , I will be observing fasting during the month of Ramadan also. Thanks for all of the great answers!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    First off, this is my current workout routine

Mon- 45 min upper body strength. 15 min hiit
    Thes-1hr lower body strength
    Weds-60 min low intensity cardio
    Thurs-same as mon
    Fri-same as tues
    Sat-same as weds
    Sun-rest

I've been doing this for the past month and have seen a remarkable increase in strength. Ramadan is in a fortnight and I'm wondering how I should continue my training throughout the month. No eating or drinking from sunrise to sunset. This will be for 30 days. I'm the UK so it'll be a 19 hour fast.

I obviously can't train like I do now. My plan is to eat a good sized meal at sunset (10pm) and then workout at midnight and eat a large meal again at 3ish sunrise).

Should I do 3-4 full body strength workouts a week during the month or what? Could do with some advice on how to structure my workouts during the month.

Last year, I walked 90 miles during Ramadan while I was fasting so thirst and hunger doesn't affect me negatively. Hoerver, I lost a lot of muscle and was skinny fat. I don't want to do that this year so will happily eliminate cardio for the month. I don't want to lose my strength gains or muscle so unsure of how to workout this month. Not training isn't an option as it gives me life.

Any suggestions?

What kind of meal timing vs workout timing do you do usually? I would think that a smaller meal (one to fuel you enough for your workouts) after sunset, and then a large meal as late as possible before sunrise, with maybe some post workout quick stuff, would be the best bet to curb hunger and keep the recovery and repair cycle going.

Off course all of that is affected by your sleep cycle too, so if you have things you have to do during the day, that makes it tough. If possible I would think flipping your days for nights and then shortening your eating window would be about as close as you could get to being "normal".

I remember one of your previous posts, and your workouts were fairly intense, so I'll assume you have the pre/post/macros and all that down and have already considered any adjustments you might need there.

Just don't forget cardio base can decay as well. Probably not nearly as quickly as strength and easier to gain back vs strength for a female. But I wouldn't drop it all, maybe mix up some circuit stuff with enough weight to maintain muscle and give some cardio work.

Best of luck... sounds like quite a challenge on many levels.