Beans

Lately, I heard about the health benefits of eating beans. I would like to cut back on my meat consumption for various reasons. My main concern is the carb content seems high. I am diabetic and struggling to keep my numbers within range.
My question would more beans help or hinder my weight loss goals? What about my blood glucose levels?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Calorie intake and output regulates weight. But as a diabetic, you really should discuss with your doctor how diet will affect your health!
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Calorie intake and output regulates weight. But as a diabetic, you really should discuss with your doctor how diet will affect your health!

^^^ Yep.
  • bigsamsoon
    bigsamsoon Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you for the very helpful reply! That is a bummer about the canned beans because they taste better than the ones I cook at home. They turn out dry and bland.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member

This.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You will have to adjust to the higher carb content in the beans as compared, say, to steak.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    You get the same benefits from canned beans as you do from cooked, dried beans—but you may want to rinse them first, which can eliminate more than 40% of the sodium.
    http://www.prevention.com/food/best-carbs-diabetics
    Always buy low sodium canned if available. Eliminates some taste.